• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What are the most valuable degrees for getting a job?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
What are the most valuable degrees for getting a job?

I'm wondering on this basis of:
  • How easy it would be to get the job
  • How many different fields the degree could be applied to
  • How good the job is (in terms of earnings... since how much it is enjoyed is too subjective)

This could yield multiple answers (i.e. the degree that would apply to the most fields may not be the same that is easy to get a job).

What would be the best "career" decision for someone about to enter school right now, if they were not especially interested in any field but wanted a good career?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
An MBA from Harvard is probably helpful.

rav3n

Any degree that caters to the medical concerns of baby boomers, including and especially retirement home and pharmeceutical related degrees.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Accounting or finance degrees are a good degree that will get your foot in the door to many businesses. Once you put your time to learn the basics, you can then take your talents to something more strategic, if that's your thing.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
What would be the best "career" decision for someone about to enter school right now, if they were not especially interested in any field but wanted a good career?

There are several fields that are growing particularly anything to do with medicine. But if you aren't interested in any field then I would figure that out first. Take a variety of classes and try a variety of hobbies. The things you like the most will give you a clue as to what you should be doing career wise.

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm not necessarily asking for the sake of career choice (although obviously I will use what I learn to my advantage). I'm just sort of curious, because in all the discussions I've had about the usefulness of degrees, and all the stuff I've read about what leads to what, it is rare to find anything explicitly stating what degrees are in high demand right now and why.

The medical field certainly makes sense, and I have heard that before, although surprisingly infrequently. I suppose there is always room for people who can do finance, too.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
For best results, do what you like. The money may or may not be there, but if you are enjoying it, that's something money can't buy anyway.
A lot of people have well paying jobs but hate what they do. I don't get that.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm sure it varies from place to place. Here is how it was explained to me: Many undergraduate degrees are just expensive pieces of paper that signify your ability to finish something. Graduate degrees in hard-science specialties have their place in their specific disciplines, but the graduate degrees that register most in the consciousness of the general public are MD (a doctor), JD (a lawyer), and MBA (a boss).

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I'm sure it varies from place to place. Here is how it was explained to me: Many undergraduate degrees are just expensive pieces of paper that signify your ability to finish something. Graduate degrees in hard-science specialties have their place in their specific disciplines, but the graduate degrees that register most in the consciousness of the general public are MD (a doctor), JD (a lawyer), and MBA (a boss).

I'll never understand why MBAs are so highly valued. Most of what is taught during those courses / degrees is less difficult than middle school geometry or algebra or geography or foreign languages.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Joint degree give a large number of potential jobs. Those that combine science/engineering degrees with business studies or something similar are especially noteworthy.