User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Thread: I'm terrified.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Do whatever makes you happy man.

That's all that matters.

Just don't expect the world to bend to your every whim and desire.

Things can always be worse.

You could have failed out (decided not to petition my re admittance) of Law School like me.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Some people can go through some things with more ease than others. Working/studying for an extended amount of time may not be your strength. It certainly isn't mine...I burned out years ago.

I'm assuming your semester is almost over, so I'd say just caffeinate your blood stream and fight it out. If you're also able to (I'm not sure about work/study, I know some places you're able to work at your own pace, but still put in the amount of hours you need in a week) try looking for a job with less hours required? If not, maybe talk to someone at your school about what's up. Sometimes if you approach them they'll be willing to pull a few strings for you.

MBTI
    INFJ

Do you exercise or practice forms of self-care? That is something which can work wonders... or what about other types of self-care?

MBTI
    ENFJ

I walk over 4 miles a day, but this is because of school or work. The only times avaliable for me to exercise are right after mealtimes which I learned very quickly are very very bad for me.

I don't care for myself at all. I can barely be bothered to shower. My brain is completely and utterly fried and there's absolutely no reason for it to be.

I don't know why I bother with anything. It's only going to get worse. I should cease all writing and knitting and drawing and any creative endeavors I have. I can't manage them. It's too hard. My brain is slush. I mean I'm going to be working at Wal-Mart once I graduate and for the rest of my life so if I can't even manage this and writing then why bother writing? Eating is generally considered to be more important.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENFJ

As I see it, I have four options:

1. Graduate college, work at walmart until I die in debt
    2. Quit college, shame my family, work at walmart until I die in debt
    3. Graduate college, get shipped off to Korea for the CIA, and if I don't die, once I'm in government mandated retirement, work at walmart until I die
    4. Quit college, move to Nevada, become a prostitute, work at walmart until I can retire on the money I saved as a prostitute

Really, none of these sound like good options.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Life could be a lot worse. No, really.

Don't think about what you're going to do after you graduate yet, just take it a day at a time. It sounds like there probably is some degree of burnout, of which I'm example no. 1 and am currently working through. I have a few suggestions:

1) Negotiate a more reasonable work/study schedule, something that you can deal with. Talk to a counselor for your options, your situation is common and these counselors have lots of experience with such problems.

2) Transfer course/university. It's pretty drastic though.

3) Acquire skills with time-management, prioritise subjects. You don't need to do everything in your freshman year. Spread out the tougher/must-do classes. I had to learn the hard way that doing 3 lab classes in one semester was not proof of capability, it was suicide.

4) Set aside non-negotiable "me" time, during which you do things that you actually LIKE and that relaxes you. Not necessarily creative things, it can be as simple as listening to music passively in bed with the lights off.

You don't need to be this negative about college or post-college life yet, especially since you haven't had much experience with either. If the signs are that it's not something that you can deal with right now, you can either set out to make it manageable or change yourself so that it will be manageable. As someone who did everything in a rush and tried to maximise every part of my college academic experience, I found that I didn't have much time to make friends, to simply "have fun" or to see anything outside of academia. In other words, I got a quality education, but not much in the way of life experience. Now I'm a washed-up graduate student on anti-depressants and I have to learn to be satisfied with (if not being able to do everything that I thought I needed to do) everything that I CAN do.

So I guess my point here is - there are things that you can do; low energy levels (I don't have much energy either) can be proportioned/prioritised; you can find ways of "recharging"; despondency is premature. What you should not do in this situation, however, is give up and accept things as they are. You'll burnout; probably sooner than I did. It's much harder to come back from that. Working out a study/work/life balance is hard, but it'll be worth it, and an invaluable skill that you'll be able to use forever.

Good luck!

MBTI
    ENFJ

I mean, my brother has been out of college for two years and has barely found a job at WalMart. My mother is working about 70 hours a week with nearly a master's degree and she's barely keeping us off of welfare. My father has a law degree and a degree in electrical engineering and he can't find a paying job to save his life (though a ton of people have hired him and just 'forgot' to pay him for his services), so my mother is trying to convince him to become a substitute teacher.

I mean really. Considering this, what good is college, anyway?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Are you asking us to convince you that college is worth it? Only you can decide that. The best that we can do is give suggestions as to what you can do to improve your situation.

College/postgraduate study doesn't necessarily guarantee a job, especially now with the unemployment rate above 10%. I'd say that it's less a reflection on the intrinsic value of college, and more on the state of the economy. While I'm sorry to hear about your family's situation, you're hardly alone there.

MBTI
    ENFJ

The economy is only going to get worse.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The economy is only going to get worse.
    Except when it gets better, like it has for the past two years.