• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What happens if you fail a class in university?

GZA

Resident Snot-Nose
MBTI Type
infp
I'm just curious. I'm not on the brink of failing or anything (yet hahaha). But what happens? How hard or easy is it to recover?

Atomic Fiend

You should take it again to save your GPA, but the first F will remain on your transcript. So unless you're on prepaid or have a scholarship you pay a few extra bucks to take the class over again.

The bright side is that you'll know whats coming so you should be able to pass the second time through.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
A chasm opens up in the ground beneath you and swallows you whole.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I think in the first 60 hours you can re-take the class and not worry about it too much.

But later on, it would be a huge problem.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I'ld ask class what it did expect from me in the first place

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Seriously- it's best to retake the class to nullify the effects, since it's your credits and grading that affect your overall GPA. So an F for a 4 credit class hits harder than some 1/2 or 1 credit class.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If you know you're not going to do well near the beginning, WITHDRAW! Then you won't have to take it again, unless it's required for your major.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
You take the class again and actually pay attention and get an A.

Oh is this not about me?

(I actually turned in a blank test)

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Your life is ruined forever. Enjoy working at McDonald's.

(I'm not doing too well in one of my online classes, so I'll see you at the fryers)

Chunes

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
As if we all won't be there anyway, college degree or not.

What really happens is nothing, expect possibly the overwhelming realization of how fake it all is.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The original F does stay on the transcript but you can always retake the class for a better grade. Its the second grade that counts towards your overall GPA not the original F. As long as you've just failed one class rather than several, I don't think this aspect of it should be too worrisome.

The worst part of getting an F is that it can seriously set you back both financially and timewise. College courses are expensive and if you have to retake a course, that's alot of money. Even if you don't need to retake the course, if you got an F, chances are you didn't get much out of the course, so its still money wasted. If you have to retake a course that's required for your major, it can end up delaying your graduation, especially if that course is needed to take subsequent ones that are also required.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I ended up taking the class again during "normal school" hours and took the next class in order over the summer. It kept me up with the rest of the graduating class. The prof that failed me became one of my favorite profs. I did learn from the experience since mine was just pure laziness so getting the F woke me up.

xisnotx

Permabanned
You either take the class again, or you don't. Each has it's own consequences but really in the grand scheme of things it hardly matters imo.