User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    infp

What appeals to me about it is the idea of doing something very creative, and being an artist. This is something that has appealed to me my entire life, taking some time in my young days before I have kids to just focus on artistic things. I often think of it with music, but the idea of studying fine art is also appealing for the same reason. I'd still get an english degree, so I'm not necessarily sure it would close any options education wise... if anything would it not open up more by having a double degree in english and fine arts

Is it even possible to get a degree in english in fine arts, or would it be an BA English and a BFA in painting or whatever? I guess I should make my girlfriend find this out!

Even though I'm not really sure what I want to do, I've considered teaching, or law (which my family thinks I'd be good in, and many of them work in law as lawyers and law clerks and such), or just whatever... it's something I'm not sure about, it's something I feel unprepared to concretely decide right now as well. I realize that for teaching I would need to probably fill in my education with a few classes later (I'm thinking high school english for that). For law... my understanding is that here you can take pretty much anything as long as you do well on the LSAT and have good grades in what you did study. My parents know many lawyers who have diverse backgrounds, from english and history (which is what all the lawyers in my family have a background in) to all kinds of science... not sure how fine art plays into it, but I'd still be doing english. I suppose I should ask my dad... all the resources I need are at my disposal!

The idea that it would cost more money and not necessarily further my career is very true. That is a relevant factor, although I think the idea of studying what you like is just as important (not that anyone has denounced that idea in this thread ).

I suppose it is unclear how practically beneficial this is. I think I would likely be happy I did it when I'm old and don't have to worry about practicality any more.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

EDIT: I looked it up.

You're still young. Law School is an after university prospect. If art is what you are passionate about do it.

MBTI
    infp

Am I correct in my understanding that you are a lawyer DiscoBiscuit?

I forgot I changed my age... I am 19, but I'm pretty sure I used to have it as like 182 or something insane like that, the oldest age it would register.

Regardless, thank you for your advice, I really appreciate having a way to pitch these ideas to people who are sensible and experienced and have likely gone through similar questioning.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I left Law School because I was tired of doing what everyone else wanted me to do.

I come from a family of Doctors and Lawyers, I know how bad the pressure can be.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Do what makes you happy. Degrees are a lot more useless than they look like, but having a degree period puts you up a notch, so if you need one anyways, it might as well be in something you enjoy. Employers like degrees because they mean you worked hard. There's always a demand for jobs in the artist and graphical designer fields, so it'd be an okay option.

If it's what you want, take it. But I don't think an English degree is at all useless... it is the language several countries rely on to communicate and all. To be proficient at it improves all aspects of a person's life. But, then again, art knows no bounds.. to have art in your life could cross more than a few countries. Either way, the degrees are important.. so just pick one and don't look back.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    infp

Kyuuei, if I was to do this I would get an english degree AND an art degree, unless it was so insanely impossible to get both that it was no longer worth the effort. But the idea is that I would still do english, I would just do art as well and try to make it a double major.

I havn't sorted out the logistics of this. I'm not sure if Ocad offers an actual english degree/double major in english with fine art. They offer english classes, and I know you can get an art history degree there, but I'm not certain if they would be able to do an english degree. If not, I would have to figure out if a joint degree between schools is possible (perhaps UofT or Ryerson), or if there would be some way to work on both degrees simultaneously (which sounds insane hahaha).

DiscoBiscuit, my family is doctors and lawyers (dad is a doctor, mother a law clerk, aunt and uncle are lawyers although my aunt no longer practices, my sister has almost completed medical school) and I think because of this there is an underlying expectation of academic success that would not necessarily include fine art. Even though the one thing my parents have always been impressed and confused by is my artistic ability, given that no one else in my family in any recent memory has had any whatsoever! Ironically, it is my mom, the least educated of all of us, who reinforced this idea the most. But I'm not phased by her hahahaha

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

The only thing you should worry about is where your passion lies, and where you would be the happiest.