• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinking of quitting college

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
One course isn't 6 points. The courses have 2 to 6 points. I failed one with 6 points and one with 2 points, but because I failed the one with 2 points I can't do two other 2 point courses (which makes 6 points). Besides, it's forbidden to take time off during the first year, because that way you can't make the necessary points. We have 4 semesters, with each 4 or 5 subjects. So I'll only have to fail for two other big subjects. Somehow they try to keep the first year a bit high schoolish, which I can't take.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I see all of these people telling you to go to a psychiatrist or take pills.

I mean, honestly, there is a possibility that academia just isn't for you and you could learn some other skill or work at other jobs and figure out what you want to do with your life.

You aren't some kind of horrendous reject just because you don't want an academic degree - there are plenty of trades you could learn, et cetera - and in fact until about twenty or thirty years ago most people didn't get a university degree anyway. It doesn't mean you're "damaged."

Good lord, maybe you just need to time to think, for all you know in a few years you might end up getting a degree after all.

Sorry, I'll quit posting now.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
One course isn't 6 points. The courses have 2 to 6 points. I failed one with 6 points and one with 2 points, but because I failed the one with 2 points I can't do two other 2 point courses (which makes 6 points). Besides, it's forbidden to take time off during the first year, because that way you can't make the necessary points. We have 4 semesters, with each 4 or 5 subjects. So I'll only have to fail for two other big subjects. Somehow they try to keep the first year a bit high schoolish, which I can't take.

Ah damn, that sounds kind of bad. A lot of useless busywork. Can't you take a full 6-points exam for the whole subject? (2+2+2) Perhaps if you ask your teacher, they should generally have something remedial for students that have problems during their first semester. I'm pretty sure you're not alone.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I see all of these people telling you to go to a psychiatrist or take pills.

I mean, honestly, there is a possibility that academia just isn't for you and you could learn some other skill or work at other jobs and figure out what you want to do with your life.

You aren't some kind of horrendous reject just because you don't want an academic degree - there are plenty of trades you could learn, et cetera - and in fact until about twenty or thirty years ago most people didn't get a university degree anyway. It doesn't mean you're "damaged."

Good lord, maybe you just need to time to think, for all you know in a few years you might end up getting a degree after all.

Sorry, I'll quit posting now.

That's the thing: I don't have any skills because the past six years I spent all my time trying to get average/low grades so I could succeed in my pre-universtity class. All the talents I had before, I lost. So there's nothing else for me anymore.

Ah damn, that sounds kind of bad. A lot of useless busywork. Can't you take a full 6-points exam for the whole subject? (2+2+2) Perhaps if you ask your teacher, they should generally have something remedial for students that have problems during their first semester. I'm pretty sure you're not alone.

That's the thing: if it were an exam, it would be okay, but it isn't. These are high schoolish assignments. You get questions, you need to put down an answer that's as long as possible. It's not even about whether or not you understnad psychology, it's about reading a paper and talking endless bullshit about it. "Yes" or "No" won't do, you need to explain everything by writing ten pages for every single question you need to answer. I'm sorry, but I don't have the energy for something like that. In high school I quit doing these assignments because they were only making me tired and taking away my energy for my exams, and no one was checking if I did them anyway.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's the thing: I don't have any skills because the past six years I spent all my time trying to get average/low grades so I could succeed in my pre-universtity class. All the talents I had before, I lost. So there's nothing else for me anymore.

That's the thing: if it were an exam, it would be okay, but it isn't. These are high schoolish assignments. You get questions, you need to put down an answer that's as long as possible. It's not even about whether or not you understnad psychology, it's about reading a paper and talking endless bullshit about it. "Yes" or "No" won't do, you need to explain everything by writing ten pages for every single question you need to answer. I'm sorry, but I don't have the energy for something like that. In high school I quit doing these assignments because they were only making me tired and taking away my energy for my exams, and no one was checking if I did them anyway.

Oh well that's college - especially if you do liberal arts, you're going to be writing a lot of analytical essays and papers. If you dont have the energy for that you might not like college, or you might at least want to switch to the math department. I'm not joking.

If you feel like you've been wasting time on academic subjects to the point of not developing skills or talents, that's even more reason for you to take time off and figure out what you want, and so you'll have time to learn other things.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I wanted to develop some skills in the three months between high school and college, but unfortunately I didn't have the time for it, because of my job and all the trouble I had with the administration papers. I fact, I wanted to take a year off before I'd go to college, but again I wasn't allowed to.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with marm - like I said, it's a huge waste of time, energy and money to do it if you don't have a purpose. If you're in college you're old enough to tell your parents you don't want to do it. If they're offering to pay it's worth being diplomatic with them/extra sure with yourself that you don't want to be there. But psychology, you have to really love it enough for grad school/med school after, both of which require very high grades (particularly since many people can get high grades in psych)....so it's not really going to do much for you at your current mindset.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I really love the subject, but I seem to fall flat on my face all the time. Whenever I overlook one little thing, kaboom, I'm dead, try next year. I'm unaware of so many things and I don't even notice that there are things I don't know, until it's too late. Totally frustrating.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You can love a subject and still have it be a poor choice to study it in university (for you - or even just at a particular time). I love psychology too, just not the career path it would lead me to (which is why I didn't study it).

But if a career in psych IS your dream , you just have to be determined enough to do what you need to do to succeed. Failing classes is obviously not in that plan, so something has to change...

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Well, I don't know if I want to open my own clinic, that's for sure. Listening to other people's problems is only fun if I can write about them. "I'm feeling ugly and I hate myself" gets pretty boring too, after hearing it time after time. I'd most like to write, but I getting a carreer in literature is hard too. Plus, if I study literature I end up like my dad. That seems like a nightmare to me.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If I even get medication, it will probably take a year before I finally have it.

Now I'll have to go to an institute that will check the diagnosis with brain scans, I believe. The school shrink said that the waiting list is very long, so I'll have to wait at least a couple of months. When they're ready at the institute, and I think that the school year will be over by then, I can finaly get my medication. So, I can't be helped with medication this year. They said that if I quit college before February, I can re-enter next September. When I don't and they kick me out, I'll have to wait another three years.

If you have ADD and need treatment, are there other options than public healthcare? Can you go somewhere else to get care or can you choose another a different healthcare option that will be more responsive to your timeline? It's unfortunate that it hasn't been diagnosed earlier and that you're realizing it first semester of college. You've probably been able to get by so far because you are so smart.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
If you have ADD and need treatment, are there other options than public healthcare? Can you go somewhere else to get care or can you choose another a different healthcare option that will be more responsive to your timeline? It's unfortunate that it hasn't been diagnosed earlier and that you're realizing it first semester of college. You've probably been able to get by so far because you are so smart.

Yes, I tried getting helped somewhere else a few years ago, but there they didn't take me seriously. The school shrink said that this place was a very good alternative and it seems to be very popular, otherwhise they wouldn't have such a long waiting list (and they just exist for five years).

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, I tried getting helped somewhere else a few years ago, but there they didn't take me seriously. The school shrink said that this place was a very good alternative and it seems to be very popular, otherwhise they wouldn't have such a long waiting list (and they just exist for five years).

OK that makes sense. Better to go to the best place even if it takes a little longer. Good luck. You have a lot of gifts and I'm sure you'll make the right decisions and get through this one way or another. :hug:

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
OK that makes sense. Better to go to the best place even if it takes a little longer. Good luck. You have a lot of gifts and I'm sure you'll make the right decisions and get through this one way or another. :hug:

Thanks! :hug:

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
As a college instructor, I have seen plenty of students come through who probably were not cut out for college. Usually these were students who either possessed the desire to be successful in their academic endeavors, but not the actual mental ability or raw intelligence to achieve that success, or students who were expected by their families to attend college, even though they knew they were not interested and would prefer to work in a blue-collar job making good money, ala working offshore, etc. You don't fall into these categories. You're a very intelligent person who could really benefit from higher education, but is unable to concentrate due to a treatable condition. If I were you, I'd get the meds and a possibly a tutor and stay in school. I have two extremely intelligent friends who dearly wish they could finish their education now, but are financially unable. Supporting themselves takes priority, and makes education a luxury. Not finishing school has limited the types of jobs they're eligible for, and it frustrates both of them.

Blown Ghost

MBTI Type
ESFP
What has helped me in decisions like the one you are in is to step back and reconsider what really matters. Most people are going to tell you to stay in school because it will benefit you the most in terms of average salary, career options and development, etc. Just because they are important to most people doesn't mean it will be important to you.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Well, I don't know what to do with my life, but I do know that I think psychology is a very interesting subject and I really like attending classes. My brain is like some kind of sponge when it comes to absorbing all that information. But the problem is when I have to read long, long pieces of text and answer questions them that have nothing to do with psychology. Plus, I'm not always fully aware of important dates etc.

Octarine

The Eighth Colour
MBTI Type
Aeon
Enneagram
10w
Instinctual Variant
so
Apart from meds, there are other skills that you can learn to deal with your ADD too. The school should also have special consideration that can be given for your condition, e.g. more time, flexible deadlines, etc. Instead of trying to run away from the existing problem that has such a huge impact on every aspect of your life, why not try to address it?

Agreed.

The reality is you need to learn to focus and study in Uni, so that you can easily learn and pick up new skills on your own later in life. Otherwise you are going to be stuck in low-skill jobs.

That notwithstanding, you still might find a change of major might be worthwhile. Remember that for psych, you will need at least a masters, preferably a PhD to practice in a decent position. And the field itself kind of sucks, unless you find a good niche.

But the problem is when I have to read long, long pieces of text and answer questions them that have nothing to do with psychology. Plus, I'm not always fully aware of important dates etc.

You need to learn how to manage your time.

To start with, you need to learn to rely on a diary or electronic organizer, so that you have no excuse but to be aware of important dates (have warnings several days before..).

Secondly, you need to find a way to concentrate, but also break up such tasks into manageable pieces. You don't need to do it all in one go, in fact you shouldn't. You will have better recall if you do 30-60 minutes of it per day, rather than trying to do it all at the last minute.

edit -

Oh and I'd like to point out that in the big picture, spending an extra year and an extra thousand euros or whatever will make little difference in the big picture, so don't beat yourself up about it.
I will also like to point out a college secret - you are not restricted to just those subjects you wish to count towards a particular degree or major. You can enrol in any 'extra' subjects which you think you will enjoy, (for which you meet the prerequisites obviously). So you can perhaps use the extra time to study something that you may not have initially considered due to the restrictions of the major you initially chose.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
You need to learn how to manage your time.

To start with, you need to learn to rely on a diary or electronic organizer, so that you have no excuse but to be aware of important dates (have warnings several days before..).

Tried it. Didn't work. I was still unaware of certain dates other people knew about, because I was the only one daydreaming while we were told about them. By the way, I finally have spare time now, for the first time in years. IT's not that my bad time management is keeping me away from leading a life, so I'm happy.

Secondly, you need to find a way to concentrate, but also break up such tasks into manageable pieces. You don't need to do it all in one go, in fact you shouldn't. You will have better recall if you do 30-60 minutes of it per day, rather than trying to do it all at the last minute..

Tried that in high school. Didn't work. If I do everything at once at the last minute, it's like someone is holding a gun against my head. The pressure and the fear keep me away from day dreaming, so this way I'll manage to do a nearly reasonable job. If I don't do things in the last minute, they're more sloppy and pieces of it turn missing.

edit -

Oh and I'd like to point out that in the big picture, spending an extra year and an extra thousand euros or whatever will make little difference in the big picture, so don't beat yourself up about it.
I will also like to point out a college secret - you are not restricted to just those subjects you wish to count towards a particular degree or major. You can enrol in any 'extra' subjects which you think you will enjoy, (for which you meet the prerequisites obviously). So you can perhaps use the extra time to study something that you may not have initially considered due to the restrictions of the major you initially chose.

I know.