• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinking of quitting college

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I've been studying Psychology for two months now. I had my first exams a week ago. We had three exams and I've got the results of two exams back. Failed for both of them. One of these subjects are apparently so important that if you don't make this subject, you can't enter two other subjects. So, of the 60 study points I could have gotten in this year, I won't have 12. The minimum is 36 points in the first year. I already doubted that I'm the perfect college type of person and now I'm pretty sure I was right. I'd quit right away, if my father wasn't around. He doesn't give shit about Psychology, but he does want me to get a high academic degree. The thing I personally want most would be a simple job, a little appartment and some freedom, but my father wouldn't let me. I don't see myself having a highly educated function. I have no clue what to do. I feel trapped. What should I do?

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
B cool, stay in school. Actually, you should make a decision. Are you not trying hard enough, do you need to adjust your habits? If you aren't willing to commit yourself, yeah, you should just do something else and not waste your time/money and get on with your life. I don't know what choices you have available to you over there, but there other types of schools and programs you can do here that are more job oriented than academic. Maybe something like that would work for you.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why did you fail them? You don't sound like you care about being in school right now so it's basically a waste of time and money.

If your parents are paying for it though, it's a free degree and an opportunity which not many people have.

Of course, almost all jobs require college or university education these days, not just "highly educated" ones - even secretaries and data-entry jobs, believe it or not. Figure out what you want to do for a career, then figure out the schooling required.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My friend who was a psych major said that the first year of psych is actually the worst because far too many people study psych. The uni needs half the cohort to drop out or change majors to have enough staff to deal with the number of eventual psych majors.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Well, I love the subject. It's really interesting, but I'm not the type of person for academic education. In high school I had a hard time learning too. I couldn't concentrate on my work and I could never finish anything. They put me in the pre-university class anyway (that's the highest type of high school education here) because I had a high score on a test I had to take in elementary school. I knew that was a bad idea from the start, but no one listened to me. I also knew it was a bad idea to go to college, but I was being pushed by my parents and my teachers and well, I had no choice. I always knew I'd be the wrong type of person and now that I visited the school shrink, he told me I probably suffer from ADD, so mental work isn't anything for me.

If I don't quit college quickly, it's going to cost even more money.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
BTW, I failed one of the classes because I was one of the seven students who didn't know a deadline had been changed (there are 400 students). I failed the other one, because I was too depressed about failing the first class to put a lot of effort in it.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
'm not the type of person for academic education. I couldn't concentrate on my work and I could never finish anything.

Why do you think you can't concentrate?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Why do you think you can't concentrate?

I know. Give me a book to learn, guaranteed that after five minutes you find me staring at the book, day dreaming about squirrels.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Thats not quite resume fodder now is it. What do you do well?

Not much. I've been put in a pre-university class six years ago and I had to spend my entire days to even receive lousy grades. I didn't have any time to develop any real talents. My only talent is that I have tons of imagination. That's all.

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
Well what can you do with that imagination to make you a productive member of society?

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know. Give me a book to learn, guaranteed that after five minutes you find me staring at the book, day dreaming about squirrels.

So...why do you think you're like this?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
And better yet, why would you want to a productive member of society?

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Unfortunately, as it is (with your attention span problems, not doing well, no special skills etc.) you'll have problems finding a job even if you quit college. College is a good place for people who have no idea what to do with their lives and want to buy a bit more time and a few more skills to find out what they're meant for.

Being unable to finish anything that you start is also a huge problem. Even if you were to make a living out of channeling your imagination and creativity into some craft, you'd need stamina and perserverence, on top of raw talent, to get anywhere. What are your plans if you quit college? It's definitely not going to look good to employers if you quit after failing a couple of classes.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
And I know my imagination can't make me a productive member of this society. It will keep me from being productive. But I can't turn it off.