User Tag List

First 6789 Last

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Lectures are no problem. I like them and I understand and remember most things the teachers tell us, or at least the big line and some interesting details. They even put all of the sheets online. It's the assignments and their deadlines that kill me. I'm bad at wrting high schoolish papers and I'm not aware of the deadlines.

And it turns out the waiting list is 9 months.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

Smile The Love of Writing

I was struck when you told us you love writing. So why not, when you wake up every morning, write for half an hour.

It doesn't matter what you write. Don't think, just write. Just write nonsense if you can't write anything else. But write. Keep on writing for half an hour every morning on waking. Write down your complaints. Write down your hates and your loves. Write down your difficulties and successes. Write for the sake of writing.

And write as if you can't stop.

MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I spend a big part for my spare time writing. It just takes a long time before I finish anything.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

You should quit.

Screw your dad. He can't keep you from getting a simple job and moving out on your own. I was in your situation after kicking around schools for 8 years with nothing to show for it. Screw college. It's overrated credentialism is all it is.

I often wonder if it will ever get to the point where a PHD will be the new high school diploma, or people will come to their fucking senses and realize it's absurd to spend half your life in school. Seeing as most people are products of schooling, I'm not expecting the rational option.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    You should quit.

Screw your dad. He can't keep you from getting a simple job and moving out on your own. I was in your situation after kicking around schools for 8 years with nothing to show for it. Screw college. It's overrated credentialism is all it is.

I often wonder if it will ever get to the point where a PHD will be the new high school diploma, or people will come to their fucking senses and realize it's absurd to spend half your life in school. Seeing as most people are products of schooling, I'm not expecting the rational option.
    I firmly disagree with this speaking specifically about Queen Kat's situation given what I know about her (not generally about university not being for some people).

Kat, can you take a more manageable courseload next term? There's something to be said for building a time management/self-discipline skillset, and I would highly encourage you to start with a load that you find manageable. Can you handle two classes with focus, instead of five?

It's like weight training, truly. You're intelligent and able even with the diagnosis, but you're also trying to bench 300 lbs when you haven't taken the time to train up and develop.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I probably got to this thread way too late, but here is my $.02. I think you are mostly on the right path though you may not totally realize it. It sounds like what you really want to be career wise is a writer. So I'd suggest you'd look into what you'd need to do after college to make that happen. Maybe in the meantime you could practice writing short stories and see if you could get one published in a magazine or something like that. I say short stories, because it is important to try over and over and get feedback after you write. The more you do this the better a writer you'll become.

Also I'd stay in Psychology. You seem to like the subject and it will make you a better writer. It will probably give you a lot of ideas to fuel your writing, so keep with it. Also it never hurts to have a degree, so stick with Psychology until you get your degree. If you miss some important details in class don't sweat it. Just find someone in class and say afterward, "I totally zoned out. What assignments did he give and when are they due?" Also I think just waiting until the last minute to do assignments is a good idea. No point in wasting time on something that you don't particularly enjoy anyway especially if doing it the last minute gets better results.

Overall I'd say treat your hobby likes it's your career and treat your school like its a hobby. Try to develop skills and techniques that will turn your natural talents into making you a professional writer. And do what you can to enjoy your schoolwork, but don't invest too much time into the stuff that stresses you out. You'll enjoy life more and you'll find things in general turn out better when you allow yourself to enjoy life more.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well, I already use the things I've learned in my stories. For example, my favorite villain turned evil after getting severe brain injury as a baby. This villain has a (genetically) identical twin and they grew up apart from each other, so I also show the way the villain would have become without this brain injury. I don't know why, but I like using brain damage in stories.
    - George W. Bush -

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    Well, I already use the things I've learned in my stories. For example, my favorite villain turned evil after getting severe brain injury as a baby. This villain has a (genetically) identical twin and they grew up apart from each other, so I also show the way the villain would have become without this brain injury. I don't know why, but I like using brain damage in stories.
    Yeah that stuff is good. And in general just learn as much as you can about the things you are interested in. Good writing really comes not from studying other authors, but by studying other things that you are interested in. That means you have interesting content to put into the story that a typical person might not already understand, but they'd find it interesting to learn about. Like if you know a lot about the effects of brain injury then a story about that is really good material.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well, I'm at an author's forum as well and the other authors are soooo tiresome, because they want me to read the stuff other people wrote to give myself inspiration. In that case I sometimes seem to copy things I like from the things I've read, so in that case I don't really read too much. Besides, I don't like the writings of other people on that forum and they all studied famous writers. When I read the stories I've written in the past, I like them all. Guess why I don't really like spending time there. That something I noticed with myself: When I like something or I think something is interesting in some kind of way, you can find them in my stories too. If you look good enough, you can find paralels with my favorite TV shows as well. It's a bit embarrassing as well, especially when something I've made up suddenly appears in one of these shows as well. Someone should psychoanalyse my stories once.
    - George W. Bush -

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    Well, I'm at an author's forum as well and the other authors are soooo tiresome, because they want me to read the stuff other people wrote to give myself inspiration. In that case I sometimes seem to copy things I like from the things I've read, so in that case I don't really read too much. Besides, I don't like the writings of other people on that forum and they all studied famous writers. When I read the stories I've written in the past, I like them all. Guess why I don't really like spending time there. That something I noticed with myself: When I like something or I think something is interesting in some kind of way, you can find them in my stories too. If you look good enough, you can find paralels with my favorite TV shows as well. It's a bit embarrassing as well, especially when something I've made up suddenly appears in one of these shows as well. Someone should psychoanalyse my stories once.
    Sounds like you are on the right track to me.