User Tag List

First 45678 Last

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well, I don't know if I want to open my own clinic, that's for sure. Listening to other people's problems is only fun if I can write about them. "I'm feeling ugly and I hate myself" gets pretty boring too, after hearing it time after time. I'd most like to write, but I getting a carreer in literature is hard too. Plus, if I study literature I end up like my dad. That seems like a nightmare to me.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    If I even get medication, it will probably take a year before I finally have it.
    Now I'll have to go to an institute that will check the diagnosis with brain scans, I believe. The school shrink said that the waiting list is very long, so I'll have to wait at least a couple of months. When they're ready at the institute, and I think that the school year will be over by then, I can finaly get my medication. So, I can't be helped with medication this year. They said that if I quit college before February, I can re-enter next September. When I don't and they kick me out, I'll have to wait another three years.
    If you have ADD and need treatment, are there other options than public healthcare? Can you go somewhere else to get care or can you choose another a different healthcare option that will be more responsive to your timeline? It's unfortunate that it hasn't been diagnosed earlier and that you're realizing it first semester of college. You've probably been able to get by so far because you are so smart.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    If you have ADD and need treatment, are there other options than public healthcare? Can you go somewhere else to get care or can you choose another a different healthcare option that will be more responsive to your timeline? It's unfortunate that it hasn't been diagnosed earlier and that you're realizing it first semester of college. You've probably been able to get by so far because you are so smart.
    Yes, I tried getting helped somewhere else a few years ago, but there they didn't take me seriously. The school shrink said that this place was a very good alternative and it seems to be very popular, otherwhise they wouldn't have such a long waiting list (and they just exist for five years).
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Yes, I tried getting helped somewhere else a few years ago, but there they didn't take me seriously. The school shrink said that this place was a very good alternative and it seems to be very popular, otherwhise they wouldn't have such a long waiting list (and they just exist for five years).
    OK that makes sense. Better to go to the best place even if it takes a little longer. Good luck. You have a lot of gifts and I'm sure you'll make the right decisions and get through this one way or another.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    OK that makes sense. Better to go to the best place even if it takes a little longer. Good luck. You have a lot of gifts and I'm sure you'll make the right decisions and get through this one way or another.
    Thanks!
    - George W. Bush -

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here

MBTI
    INTP

As a college instructor, I have seen plenty of students come through who probably were not cut out for college. Usually these were students who either possessed the desire to be successful in their academic endeavors, but not the actual mental ability or raw intelligence to achieve that success, or students who were expected by their families to attend college, even though they knew they were not interested and would prefer to work in a blue-collar job making good money, ala working offshore, etc. You don't fall into these categories. You're a very intelligent person who could really benefit from higher education, but is unable to concentrate due to a treatable condition. If I were you, I'd get the meds and a possibly a tutor and stay in school. I have two extremely intelligent friends who dearly wish they could finish their education now, but are financially unable. Supporting themselves takes priority, and makes education a luxury. Not finishing school has limited the types of jobs they're eligible for, and it frustrates both of them.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ESFP

What has helped me in decisions like the one you are in is to step back and reconsider what really matters. Most people are going to tell you to stay in school because it will benefit you the most in terms of average salary, career options and development, etc. Just because they are important to most people doesn't mean it will be important to you.

MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Well, I don't know what to do with my life, but I do know that I think psychology is a very interesting subject and I really like attending classes. My brain is like some kind of sponge when it comes to absorbing all that information. But the problem is when I have to read long, long pieces of text and answer questions them that have nothing to do with psychology. Plus, I'm not always fully aware of important dates etc.
    - George W. Bush -

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here

MBTI
    Aeon
    Enneagram
    10w so
    Socionics
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Apart from meds, there are other skills that you can learn to deal with your ADD too. The school should also have special consideration that can be given for your condition, e.g. more time, flexible deadlines, etc. Instead of trying to run away from the existing problem that has such a huge impact on every aspect of your life, why not try to address it?
    Agreed.

The reality is you need to learn to focus and study in Uni, so that you can easily learn and pick up new skills on your own later in life. Otherwise you are going to be stuck in low-skill jobs.

That notwithstanding, you still might find a change of major might be worthwhile. Remember that for psych, you will need at least a masters, preferably a PhD to practice in a decent position. And the field itself kind of sucks, unless you find a good niche.

But the problem is when I have to read long, long pieces of text and answer questions them that have nothing to do with psychology. Plus, I'm not always fully aware of important dates etc.
    You need to learn how to manage your time.

To start with, you need to learn to rely on a diary or electronic organizer, so that you have no excuse but to be aware of important dates (have warnings several days before..).

Secondly, you need to find a way to concentrate, but also break up such tasks into manageable pieces. You don't need to do it all in one go, in fact you shouldn't. You will have better recall if you do 30-60 minutes of it per day, rather than trying to do it all at the last minute.

edit -

Oh and I'd like to point out that in the big picture, spending an extra year and an extra thousand euros or whatever will make little difference in the big picture, so don't beat yourself up about it.
    I will also like to point out a college secret - you are not restricted to just those subjects you wish to count towards a particular degree or major. You can enrol in any 'extra' subjects which you think you will enjoy, (for which you meet the prerequisites obviously). So you can perhaps use the extra time to study something that you may not have initially considered due to the restrictions of the major you initially chose.

MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Architectonic View Post
    You need to learn how to manage your time.

To start with, you need to learn to rely on a diary or electronic organizer, so that you have no excuse but to be aware of important dates (have warnings several days before..).
    Tried it. Didn't work. I was still unaware of certain dates other people knew about, because I was the only one daydreaming while we were told about them. By the way, I finally have spare time now, for the first time in years. IT's not that my bad time management is keeping me away from leading a life, so I'm happy.

Secondly, you need to find a way to concentrate, but also break up such tasks into manageable pieces. You don't need to do it all in one go, in fact you shouldn't. You will have better recall if you do 30-60 minutes of it per day, rather than trying to do it all at the last minute..
    Tried that in high school. Didn't work. If I do everything at once at the last minute, it's like someone is holding a gun against my head. The pressure and the fear keep me away from day dreaming, so this way I'll manage to do a nearly reasonable job. If I don't do things in the last minute, they're more sloppy and pieces of it turn missing.

edit -

Oh and I'd like to point out that in the big picture, spending an extra year and an extra thousand euros or whatever will make little difference in the big picture, so don't beat yourself up about it.
    I will also like to point out a college secret - you are not restricted to just those subjects you wish to count towards a particular degree or major. You can enrol in any 'extra' subjects which you think you will enjoy, (for which you meet the prerequisites obviously). So you can perhaps use the extra time to study something that you may not have initially considered due to the restrictions of the major you initially chose.
    I know.
    - George W. Bush -

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here