User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 83

  1. #41
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moiety View Post
    And better yet, why would you want to a productive member of society?
    +1

  2. #42
    The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    One course isn't 6 points. The courses have 2 to 6 points. I failed one with 6 points and one with 2 points, but because I failed the one with 2 points I can't do two other 2 point courses (which makes 6 points). Besides, it's forbidden to take time off during the first year, because that way you can't make the necessary points. We have 4 semesters, with each 4 or 5 subjects. So I'll only have to fail for two other big subjects. Somehow they try to keep the first year a bit high schoolish, which I can't take.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -


    SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

    Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

  3. #43
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    I see all of these people telling you to go to a psychiatrist or take pills.

    I mean, honestly, there is a possibility that academia just isn't for you and you could learn some other skill or work at other jobs and figure out what you want to do with your life.

    You aren't some kind of horrendous reject just because you don't want an academic degree - there are plenty of trades you could learn, et cetera - and in fact until about twenty or thirty years ago most people didn't get a university degree anyway. It doesn't mean you're "damaged."

    Good lord, maybe you just need to time to think, for all you know in a few years you might end up getting a degree after all.

    Sorry, I'll quit posting now.

  4. #44
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    One course isn't 6 points. The courses have 2 to 6 points. I failed one with 6 points and one with 2 points, but because I failed the one with 2 points I can't do two other 2 point courses (which makes 6 points). Besides, it's forbidden to take time off during the first year, because that way you can't make the necessary points. We have 4 semesters, with each 4 or 5 subjects. So I'll only have to fail for two other big subjects. Somehow they try to keep the first year a bit high schoolish, which I can't take.
    Ah damn, that sounds kind of bad. A lot of useless busywork. Can't you take a full 6-points exam for the whole subject? (2+2+2) Perhaps if you ask your teacher, they should generally have something remedial for students that have problems during their first semester. I'm pretty sure you're not alone.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  5. #45
    The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I see all of these people telling you to go to a psychiatrist or take pills.

    I mean, honestly, there is a possibility that academia just isn't for you and you could learn some other skill or work at other jobs and figure out what you want to do with your life.

    You aren't some kind of horrendous reject just because you don't want an academic degree - there are plenty of trades you could learn, et cetera - and in fact until about twenty or thirty years ago most people didn't get a university degree anyway. It doesn't mean you're "damaged."

    Good lord, maybe you just need to time to think, for all you know in a few years you might end up getting a degree after all.

    Sorry, I'll quit posting now.
    That's the thing: I don't have any skills because the past six years I spent all my time trying to get average/low grades so I could succeed in my pre-universtity class. All the talents I had before, I lost. So there's nothing else for me anymore.


    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Ah damn, that sounds kind of bad. A lot of useless busywork. Can't you take a full 6-points exam for the whole subject? (2+2+2) Perhaps if you ask your teacher, they should generally have something remedial for students that have problems during their first semester. I'm pretty sure you're not alone.
    That's the thing: if it were an exam, it would be okay, but it isn't. These are high schoolish assignments. You get questions, you need to put down an answer that's as long as possible. It's not even about whether or not you understnad psychology, it's about reading a paper and talking endless bullshit about it. "Yes" or "No" won't do, you need to explain everything by writing ten pages for every single question you need to answer. I'm sorry, but I don't have the energy for something like that. In high school I quit doing these assignments because they were only making me tired and taking away my energy for my exams, and no one was checking if I did them anyway.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -


    SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

    Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

  6. #46
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    That's the thing: I don't have any skills because the past six years I spent all my time trying to get average/low grades so I could succeed in my pre-universtity class. All the talents I had before, I lost. So there's nothing else for me anymore.




    That's the thing: if it were an exam, it would be okay, but it isn't. These are high schoolish assignments. You get questions, you need to put down an answer that's as long as possible. It's not even about whether or not you understnad psychology, it's about reading a paper and talking endless bullshit about it. "Yes" or "No" won't do, you need to explain everything by writing ten pages for every single question you need to answer. I'm sorry, but I don't have the energy for something like that. In high school I quit doing these assignments because they were only making me tired and taking away my energy for my exams, and no one was checking if I did them anyway.
    Oh well that's college - especially if you do liberal arts, you're going to be writing a lot of analytical essays and papers. If you dont have the energy for that you might not like college, or you might at least want to switch to the math department. I'm not joking.

    If you feel like you've been wasting time on academic subjects to the point of not developing skills or talents, that's even more reason for you to take time off and figure out what you want, and so you'll have time to learn other things.

  7. #47
    The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    I wanted to develop some skills in the three months between high school and college, but unfortunately I didn't have the time for it, because of my job and all the trouble I had with the administration papers. I fact, I wanted to take a year off before I'd go to college, but again I wasn't allowed to.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -


    SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

    Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

  8. #48
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    I agree with marm - like I said, it's a huge waste of time, energy and money to do it if you don't have a purpose. If you're in college you're old enough to tell your parents you don't want to do it. If they're offering to pay it's worth being diplomatic with them/extra sure with yourself that you don't want to be there. But psychology, you have to really love it enough for grad school/med school after, both of which require very high grades (particularly since many people can get high grades in psych)....so it's not really going to do much for you at your current mindset.
    -end of thread-

  9. #49
    The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    3,116

    Default

    I really love the subject, but I seem to fall flat on my face all the time. Whenever I overlook one little thing, kaboom, I'm dead, try next year. I'm unaware of so many things and I don't even notice that there are things I don't know, until it's too late. Totally frustrating.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -


    SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

    Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

  10. #50
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    You can love a subject and still have it be a poor choice to study it in university (for you - or even just at a particular time). I love psychology too, just not the career path it would lead me to (which is why I didn't study it).

    But if a career in psych IS your dream , you just have to be determined enough to do what you need to do to succeed. Failing classes is obviously not in that plan, so something has to change...
    -end of thread-

Similar Threads

  1. College freshman trying to think of a possible career path
    By OneLovelyAdventure in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-13-2014, 12:07 AM
  2. [ESTJ] What do you think of ESTJs?
    By JediM05 in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 11-15-2013, 11:18 PM
  3. [MBTItm] What do INFPs think of INTJs?
    By Usehername in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 167
    Last Post: 04-27-2011, 01:36 AM
  4. [MBTItm] What do INTPs think of INFPs
    By SolitaryWalker in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 06:16 AM
  5. Thinking of joining the army
    By Sona in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-31-2007, 03:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO