First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Are you on meds?

Trust me they help.
    Apart from meds, there are other skills that you can learn to deal with your ADD too. The school should also have special consideration that can be given for your condition, e.g. more time, flexible deadlines, etc. Instead of trying to run away from the existing problem that has such a huge impact on every aspect of your life, why not try to address it?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    ADD. The school shrink confirmed it this Monday. He told me I'm practically the ADD stereotype.
    Can you think of any other reason?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Seriously get on ADD medication. My friend suffers from ADD and severe depression. She went on Celexa and was able to function better and concentrate enough to get her work down. Her biggest obstacle isn't ADD or depression or alcohol, it's her extremely low self esteem.

What kind of a simple little job do you have in mind? I don't know about Europe but everyone I spoken to here in America regrets not going to school. They live pay check to pay check and work long hours. Esp. the immigrants here work really long hours with little money. Imagine working at a grocery store when you're pass thirty. It's terrible. I can assure you.

In my opinion, you should get medical and therapeutic help and stay in school, no matter what. The outside world, the working force is much cruel-er than school. I know this girl who never went to college and held the same job at a medical office since high school. Sure, it's okay now but what happens when the economy changes and she can't find another administrative job because she never got a degree? She will be competing against people who have work experience and a high academic education.

College is better for your imagination and creativity than the work force. Don't give up so soon. You haven't even tried yet.

Actually, maybe if you take a few months off and see how tough it is outside, you will want to go back to school and be much more motivated and focused. I never wanted to leave school but I did for reasons I can't control and trust me, working at a job that's beneath you, dealing with people all day doing mediocre crap, being paid 8 dollars an hour - it's fucking terrible. My only hope is that no matter what, I am going back to school and getting a degree, but not just that, learning and stretching my mind, my intelligence, my creativity. It's a blessing.

MBTI
    ISFP

Time for some research (curiosity-imagination) on your part? Google "famous people with add". Here's one link: http://borntoexplore.org/famous.htm

Now that you feel positive about who you are find out what kinds of careers you're suited for. Your counselor can steer you in the right direction if you'd like assistance.

Then (just my opinion) pick one and get a degree, even if your grades end up being medium-low. Degrees are about making sure you can have that simple life and actually eat, without working three jobs.

MBTI
    ISFJ

What makes you rail so vitriolically against the status-quo Moiety?
    It has never proved to be of much use.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

How do you think you can use your imagination to make you a happy, creative person?

Quote Originally Posted by Queen Kat View Post
    And I know my imagination can't make me a productive member of this society. It will keep me from being productive. But I can't turn it off.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Unfortunately, as it is (with your attention span problems, not doing well, no special skills etc.) you'll have problems finding a job even if you quit college.
    This part is true. You're going to have to figure out how to get around your weaknesses (like everyone else) so they don't shut down your future. Talk to the successful people with ADD here (like Halla). Medication is an excellent place to start but by no means necessary for many people (but absolutely life-saving and vital for others).

College is a good place for people who have no idea what to do with their lives and want to buy a bit more time and a few more skills to find out what they're meant for.
    Here, I hope you're not serious because I couldn't disagree more vehemently. This attitude is why we have the stereotype (and all-too-common reality) of the liberal arts major flipping burgers with a huge student loan after they graduate because they didn't actually think about the purpose behind going to school. It's a lot of time, energy and especially money (directly and by not working) to do if you don't have a purpose. (not slagging liberal arts majors who actually have a career goal, here)
    -end of thread-

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Are you on meds?

Trust me they help.
    No, the school shrink came with the diagnosis this monday. Now I'll have to go to an institute that will check the diagnosis with brain scans, I believe. The school shrink said that the waiting list is very long, so I'll have to wait at least a couple of months. When they're ready at the institute, and I think that the school year will be over by then, I can finaly get my medication. So, I can't be helped with medication this year. They said that if I quit college before February, I can re-enter next September. When I don't and they kick me out, I'll have to wait another three years.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Whoa, all these replies!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nonsequitur View Post
    Apart from meds, there are other skills that you can learn to deal with your ADD too. The school should also have special consideration that can be given for your condition, e.g. more time, flexible deadlines, etc. Instead of trying to run away from the existing problem that has such a huge impact on every aspect of your life, why not try to address it?
    No, they only have a support group.

Quote Originally Posted by Craft View Post
    Can you think of any other reason?
    There is no other reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    Seriously get on ADD medication. My friend suffers from ADD and severe depression. She went on Celexa and was able to function better and concentrate enough to get her work down. Her biggest obstacle isn't ADD or depression or alcohol, it's her extremely low self esteem.

What kind of a simple little job do you have in mind? I don't know about Europe but everyone I spoken to here in America regrets not going to school. They live pay check to pay check and work long hours. Esp. the immigrants here work really long hours with little money. Imagine working at a grocery store when you're pass thirty. It's terrible. I can assure you.

In my opinion, you should get medical and therapeutic help and stay in school, no matter what. The outside world, the working force is much cruel-er than school. I know this girl who never went to college and held the same job at a medical office since high school. Sure, it's okay now but what happens when the economy changes and she can't find another administrative job because she never got a degree? She will be competing against people who have work experience and a high academic education.

College is better for your imagination and creativity than the work force. Don't give up so soon. You haven't even tried yet.

Actually, maybe if you take a few months off and see how tough it is outside, you will want to go back to school and be much more motivated and focused. I never wanted to leave school but I did for reasons I can't control and trust me, working at a job that's beneath you, dealing with people all day doing mediocre crap, being paid 8 dollars an hour - it's fucking terrible. My only hope is that no matter what, I am going back to school and getting a degree, but not just that, learning and stretching my mind, my intelligence, my creativity. It's a blessing.
    Well, that’s what the shrink was surprised about, that my self esteem is still good (I had to maintain a non-comformist lifestyle and mentality for it, but I succeeded at it). This summer I worked at a factory and guess what, I liked it. I liked the people, I liked the fact that I didn’t have to think about my job when I came home, etc etc. When I came home, I could write, when I come home from school I can only think about school. By the way, with my pre-university degree I can also do some jobs that actually require vocational education. So if I wanted, I could go with my mom, who works as a prison guard. If I take a few months off now, I get kicked out anyway. I need to have 36 study points by June I believe, and I’m never going to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by LeafAndSky View Post
    Time for some research (curiosity-imagination) on your part? Google "famous people with add". Here's one link: http://borntoexplore.org/famous.htm

Now that you feel positive about who you are find out what kinds of careers you're suited for. Your counselor can steer you in the right direction if you'd like assistance.

Then (just my opinion) pick one and get a degree, even if your grades end up being medium-low. Degrees are about making sure you can have that simple life and actually eat, without working three jobs.
    I feel positive about who I am, but it just doesn’t work on a top education level (because that’s what we’re talking about). With my current degree I can do jobs on vocational education level. The degree I’m supposed to get is the kind of degree that gets you Porsches and mansions in Southern France.

Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    How do you think you can use your imagination to make you a happy, creative person?
    Not. Life is about being useful, not about being fun. I’m fun, but totally useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    This part is true. You're going to have to figure out how to get around your weaknesses (like everyone else) so they don't shut down your future. Talk to the successful people with ADD here (like Halla). Medication is an excellent place to start but by no means necessary for many people (but absolutely life-saving and vital for others).
    If I even get medication, it will probably take a year before I finally have it.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I gave myself some time to think and I realized that it's still possible for me to make this year, but in that case I can't fail for anything else. I also have to wait for the result of my third exam. I put a lot of effort in that one, but now I'm just so afraid I accidentally wrote down the wrong student number, because we all have two different student numbers and mine are so much like each other that it might be really possible that I filled in a wrong one.
    - George W. Bush -

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here