User Tag List

12 Last

Default So what DO you do with a BA in English?

Me: go to grad school, then more grad school

Anyone else?

I like English majors. Please come out of the woodwork and share your literary know-how!

Phantonym

Put it to good use. Any way you can.

But my first reaction was to respond "Nothing, absolutely nothing". Well, I still do have use for it since English isn't my native language, so yeah, grad school and translation is the direction I'm taking. And after that, I'll go and learn something useful. Prrrractical.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Teach.
    Go back to college for another major. XD.

I'm an animation major, so I'm probably worse off anyway. It's more competitive than business.

MBTI
    INFJ

I think that English majors probably have more perspective about life and literature than the rest of us do... I definitely regret not doing more writing / literature / philosophy / social sciences! I did microbiology, economics, and now my primary skills are statistics / scientific writing.

Also, I know people who have done an English BA, something like teach English in Japan or via ETA (Fulbright), go to graduate school in a "trade" like statistics or public health. I feel like those folks have lots of perspective / context for who they are and the work they're doing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I focused on writing courses in my BA, and also had a Mathematics minor and lots of computer experience (troubleshooting, coding, and helpdesk)... so I ended up going first ...

...into computer textbook publishing (editorial positions)...

...then into technical writing...

...then into software development...

...then into systems analyst work.

So I ended up in tech despite having a BA in English.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

It is kind of the degree that you can do everything and nothing with.

But, it seems to have worked out fairly well for me. I did freelance writing for several years (not much any more) alongside totally non-relevant work - I was in customer service and customer relations for a couple of major airlines for about five years. Then (amazingly) I managed to work for a major publishing house for three years, on the strength of my passion for books, some relevant experience and the fact that they needed temps at the time. I got a couple of good contracts too but nothing stable. Now I'm publishing coordinator for the examinations division of a famous drama school.

It's partly where I live - London, UK, where there are more opportunities in terms of publishing/the arts than many other cities. And it was partly determination and good timing, though it didn't feel that way for a long time. Since the economic crash getting any of these types of jobs is even more difficult.

I think there's lots you can do with an English BA but you do have to be flexible.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Still trying to figure that one out. I'll get back at you later.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

You learn to communicate in the English language so well that you can pretty much scam anybody out of their hard-earned money by convincing them that they really really need an exotic elephant in their backyard.

D'Awww. Look at him! He's so happy! And trust me folks, he's worth every penny.

Oberon

I graduated from Virginia Tech with a B.A. in English, which is kind of like graduating med school with a degree in landscaping.

Still, that degree along with two years of engineering courses got me my first real job, which was as a copy editor for a technical book publisher.

I went from there into contract technical writing and page layout in the IT industry.

I went from there to writing SOPs and filing documents for the pharmaceutical industry.

I went from there to becoming an investigator at a pharmaceutical manufacturing plant.

I went from there to training personnel on exception tracking software, and administering that software.

So yeah, the bachelor's in English can get you in the door. It's up to you what you do after that.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My friend is starting his small business (unrelated to writing or English). Everyone else I know with similar degrees is either in teachers college/looking for teaching work/teaching or a few of them are in grad school.
    -end of thread-