User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    You learn to communicate in the English language so well that you can pretty much scam anybody out of their hard-earned money by convincing them that they really really need an exotic elephant in their backyard.

D'Awww. Look at him! He's so happy! And trust me folks, he's worth every penny.
    DEAR SIR,

HAVING CONSULTED WITH MY COLLEAGUES AND BASED ON THE INFORMATION GATHERED FROM THE NIGERIAN CHAMBERS OF COMMERCE AND INDUSTRY, I HAVE THE PRIVILEGE TO REQUEST FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE TO TRANSFER THE SUM OF $47,500,000.00 (FORTY SEVEN MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS) INTO YOUR ACCOUNTS. THE ABOVE SUM IS AS SECURITY FOR AN EXOTIC ELEPHANT, OF WHICH WILL BE KEPT IN YOUR TRUST AS A RESULT OF AN OVER-INVOICED CONTRACT FROM OUR NATIONAL NIGERIAN ZOO. WE ARE NOW READY TO TRANSFER THE FUNDS OVERSEAS, AND ASK THAT YOU HOLD THE SUM AND THE ELEPHANT FOR A PERIOD OF THIRTY (30) DAYS, AFTER WHICH WE WILL SHARE 25% FOR EXPENSES INCIDENT TO THE TRANSFER AND THE ELEPHANT.

I REQUIRE YOUR FINANCIAL INFORMATION IN ORDER TO WIPE YOU OUT CLEAN.

I'm seeing a correlation between English majors and writing jobs. It is interesting because I don't think the two necessarily have much in common. Not to say that English majors can't write, but being able to appreciate and interpret literature can still make for a poor writer. A lot of cultural critics are terribly painful to read. On the other hand, my boyfriend (an INFP) studied Creative Writing and Economics in college and is a decent writer, but I would not say he is well read. In any regard, I guess it's just stretching your education and applying it in ways that you can.

It is sad, though, that many of us feel pressured to major in something that can be useful in acquiring a job rather than expanding perspectives and increasing critical thought. It just speaks to the narrow criteria that defines what is successful today, privileging fiscal capital over cultural capital.

But then again, maybe I can discuss themes of mourning and melancholia in Nabokov works while sipping my soy vanilla fair-trade latte like a wannabe granola-hipster-intellectual, but will have no retirement savings in forty years. Oh well, maybe I can just marry rich. :-P

MBTI
    ----

i have a BA in english/politics. i'm a lawyer.

i agree - studying literature tends to make you a pretty good critical reader, but not necessarily a good writer. i took creative writing units as part of my BA and did a law elective in professional legal writing too. i've since done a bunch of short courses on legal writing through my job. these have had a greater impact on my professional writing style than lazing about on the university lawns talking about poetry. the latter was fun though and as you allude to - also valuable in terms of critical and creative thinking.

i don't know anyone in their 20s/30s who has managed to snag a job in the writing/publishing/editing field with just undergraduate quals in english.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

You teach or go to grad school.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Ingenue View Post
    I'm seeing a correlation between English majors and writing jobs. It is interesting because I don't think the two necessarily have much in common. Not to say that English majors can't write, but being able to appreciate and interpret literature can still make for a poor writer. A lot of cultural critics are terribly painful to read. On the other hand, my boyfriend (an INFP) studied Creative Writing and Economics in college and is a decent writer, but I would not say he is well read. In any regard, I guess it's just stretching your education and applying it in ways that you can.

It is sad, though, that many of us feel pressured to major in something that can be useful in acquiring a job rather than expanding perspectives and increasing critical thought. It just speaks to the narrow criteria that defines what is successful today, privileging fiscal capital over cultural capital.

But then again, maybe I can discuss themes of mourning and melancholia in Nabokov works while sipping my soy vanilla fair-trade latte like a wannabe granola-hipster-intellectual, but will have no retirement savings in forty years. Oh well, maybe I can just marry rich. :-P
    Well, here's the thing, you don't have to be well-read to be well educated, especially on the topic of drama (or tension, rather, since tension is what creates drama.) By the age of seven, most American children have been exposed to more dramas than any Greek or Roman noble, all thanks to T.V.

Another thing about English and its relationship to writing, at least on the college level, is that it is the only field which actively incorporates rhetoric. If you have a critical thought, for example, you need to be able to express it to someone else. Thus, in a very classic sense, what would be the use of a fancy-schmancy education or having complex thoughts if you were unable to express them? It ties in with the sophistic idea that one's thoughts and one's words were inseparable. If you're able to think critically, you should be able to convey those thoughts. English majors, if anything, try to teach students to be more critical. That's why English majors can fall into such diverse fields, since the ability to think critically and then convey those critical thoughts is in such high demand.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ESFP

Go teach english in a foreign country. So it's one of those "sounds exciting but I don't know if it's for me" things, but ask yourself why not? Why not you? Someone's gotta do it.