User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Default Any general advice ? Not sure what to do =P

Right now, I'm planning on majoring in graphic design. I don't draw in my spare time for fun, but what I have drawn (like for school) is amazing. I would like to design stuff like cartoons, or cute hello kitty type things (actually, I'd love it!) but I don't know how easy it is to get a job doing exactly that. When I was younger, I would code my own websites and design my own layouts. I've also done some awesome work with photoshop on my own pictures, and I designed a shirt and some notepads for myself once. I guess from all of that, I just learned that it's hard, and it takes forever if you want to make it perfect. I *love* the finished project so much, I hate doing all the steps to get there.

Another major I'm considering is psychology. I'm always reading magazines and books dealing with it and I'm pretty obsessed with MBTI. And I love analyzing people and thinking about situations and how they'd react, and thinking about why people do certain things... I don't know what kind of job I'd do though, because there's so much out there.

I haven't a clue which one to pick. I feel like they would both be really good, for different reasons...

And then, there's the other, OTHER side..
    That I could do a job in something else other than those two options..

Does anyone have any advice for me ?
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I generally find that there are a lot of things I'd be content with making money for...

.. And I find that, when it comes to the things I love.. to cheapen them with a job that's not as picture-perfect as I'd imagined them being would make the hobby/interest lose it's shiny qualities.

So, here's what I'm aiming for. When it comes to a career, these are the qualities I want:
    1. Something I can tolerate. I may get burned out on it from time to time, but at least something where I can take pride in my work and be proficient at it.
    2. Financial stability
    3. Something that won't consume my entire life unless it becomes something I love so much that it doesn't matter to me if it does. I generally want time to do other things and go on adventures.
    4. Something that requires the cheapest, fastest education possible while fulfilling the above items.

With that said.. there are a few side-projects in my life outside of the world of education that I want to get into. I think, especially young people, get stuck in this "Get a degree for it" mode. If you want to work in graphic design, you should go for it and work on it. Whether you work on it in your spare time while educating yourself for psychology (or minoring in it if you wish to go that route) I think that'd be cool.

But generally, the art industry is a hard one to break into. So often people who have genuine talent hold out so long.. when in reality, if you want to do this with your life, you'll find the time for it and let it shine. Art is a slow, long process, and finding a job you like to do in it can sometimes be frustrating.

So, my advice is to go the more practical route with Psychology, and maybe minor in graphic design and work on it as a side project. Everyone needs a hobby, whether you get paid for that hobby or not. And I don't believe in letting talent go to waste.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Music and alcohol are never wrong.

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Music and alcohol are never wrong.
    Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I generally find that there are a lot of things I'd be content with making money for...

.. And I find that, when it comes to the things I love.. to cheapen them with a job that's not as picture-perfect as I'd imagined them being would make the hobby/interest lose it's shiny qualities.

So, here's what I'm aiming for. When it comes to a career, these are the qualities I want:
    1. Something I can tolerate. I may get burned out on it from time to time, but at least something where I can take pride in my work and be proficient at it.
    2. Financial stability
    3. Something that won't consume my entire life unless it becomes something I love so much that it doesn't matter to me if it does. I generally want time to do other things and go on adventures.
    4. Something that requires the cheapest, fastest education possible while fulfilling the above items.

With that said.. there are a few side-projects in my life outside of the world of education that I want to get into. I think, especially young people, get stuck in this "Get a degree for it" mode. If you want to work in graphic design, you should go for it and work on it. Whether you work on it in your spare time while educating yourself for psychology (or minoring in it if you wish to go that route) I think that'd be cool.

But generally, the art industry is a hard one to break into. So often people who have genuine talent hold out so long.. when in reality, if you want to do this with your life, you'll find the time for it and let it shine. Art is a slow, long process, and finding a job you like to do in it can sometimes be frustrating.

So, my advice is to go the more practical route with Psychology, and maybe minor in graphic design and work on it as a side project. Everyone needs a hobby, whether you get paid for that hobby or not. And I don't believe in letting talent go to waste.
    Thanks for the advice
    It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Studying's both is a superb idea.

I think you need to do a little more research into 1) what kind of jobs are available and 2) what they entail, day in, day out, and 3) how easy it is to get them.

Wow, those are the exact two majors I'M thinking of.

I'm curious for more inside scoops?

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    Studying's both is a superb idea.

I think you need to do a little more research into 1) what kind of jobs are available and 2) what they entail, day in, day out, and 3) how easy it is to get them.
    I don't think I can study both... I don't have the money or the desire to devote my time to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Ness View Post
    Wow, those are the exact two majors I'M thinking of.

I'm curious for more inside scoops?
    I'm picking psychology. Mostly because I haven't bothered to work on my art portfolio very much. It's like 70% done, but I just lack the motivation for it. So, I'm just going to follow my heart and pick psychology, with no -real- reason, I guess. I just know I love the subject and that I'd probably be really good at it. I saw somewhere that 16% of ENFPs are psychologists, (or was it that 16% of psychologists are ENFPs?) ENFPs also do graphic design a lot too, but I figure that I can go to school and end up with a job relating to psychology and still paint and draw on the side, but if I go to school for graphic design, I can't really do psychology on the side. That's basically my thought process.

The two majors are pretty divergent and you need to find out what interests you more. Nobody other than you can answer that question. The other things you may want to consider are – how much time, effort, and money you’re willing to put in to realize the end goal. I am guessing you’ll need to put in a lot more years of college if you want to pursue psychology. On the other hand, entry-level graphic design jobs are available with a two-year degree as long as you have a flair for art. Why don’t you look at the details of both the programs and see which one excites you more? Stevens-Henager College offers graphic arts programs that you can check for guidance!

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Hmm...I'm in a similar situation, I'm stuck between animation major, biology major, and business administration/political science major.

I'd say see what job opportunities arise from each after you would graduate with either one or the other. But also what you consider enjoying more in applications. Can you see yourself being a part of a competitive artistic community and work very hard for each buck, or maybe seeking out random jobs after you graduate (or go to graduate school) with a degree in psychology? See what you would be more comfortable with in the future, and good luck!

MBTI
    INFJ

It's good to know the day to day realities of each and what it takes to succeed in the fields. How about talking to people currently in those jobs, starting on this forum?