User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    infp

I'm stuck between English and Art. I want to start doing art cause I think I would love doing it but I want to do english for practical reasons (although I enjoy it too).

I'm discovering that doing a double major in Fine Art and English is not as easy as it sounds though... I guess the great thing about art is you don't need classes to learn it!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If you're good at graphic design it will be easier to get a job. Psychology you will have to go to grad school to really do anything with. If you don't want grad school, switch to social work instead.

As for the person trying to decide between English and Fine Art - both are pretty risky unless you want to teach or have a specific thing in mind you want to do. I majored in English Lit and minored in French and was VERY VERY LUCKY to get an editing job for an elderly novelist after only 3 1/2 years of college...but I don't think I'd do any better if I actually had an English degree alone without grad school or a teaching certificate. When I go back to college I'm switching to History because I'm sure I want to do preservation.

MBTI
    infp

Sometimes I think we're just all fucked and destined for destitution :P

I'm thinking of going to law school. A lawyer with a background in art, hell yes!

Or teaching... I don't really know

Let it be known I'm currently taking english and in my second year. I just want to incorporate art somehow.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Sometimes I think we're just all fucked and destined for destitution :P
    Nah - it's just that it takes more luck or extra formal education if you choose not to do something more practical.

I'm thinking of going to law school. A lawyer with a background in art, hell yes!
    You should talk to Edgar.

Or teaching... I don't really know
    I could teach if I would finish up my degree - I'm one of those people who would be a 5 year senior because I took so many electives and had such a heavy minor. Even after 3 1/2 years of college I have three semesters left whether I choose to complete English Lit or switch to History. Teaching is kind of my last resort though, which is weird because when I first started college it's what I thought I wanted to do.

Let it be known I'm currently taking english and in my second year. I just want to incorporate art somehow.
    You could minor in art. Or major in Art Education if you're sure you want to be a teacher.

MBTI
    infp

What makes art a difficult thing to take seriously with anything else is that an art degree takes a looot of time and dedication. I'm not sure if it would be possible to do it and another major at the same time. I suppose it could be a minor though.

And I already know a bazillion lawyers in person, so I already have a pretty good knowledge of what I would need to do and what it would be like. Plus I live in Canada so what Edgar would tell me would not be entirely applicable.

But anyway, I should stop posting in this thread cause I already have my own thread about this!