• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do You Act Really different in School?

G

Glycerine

I swear that whenever I start school, I become really weird like some sort of XXTJ wannabe (I think I go into an underdeveloped Ti overload).

WildCard

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
When I was in school, I acted completely different than when I was home. During school, I was quiet, respectful, and didn't really have a large circle of friends.

At home, I pretty much bounced off the walls and ran my mouth.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I don't talk in class. Well, except the cute girl that sit next to me and she is gone now. Long gone.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
School was weird for me. I'd act INTJish in the beginning of the day/week, but once I have something to look forward to right after class, like Fridays, I'm much more ENTP, and I usually talk in class to make it go faster.

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
in high school I was really ENTJ.

in university I just sat there making disapproving sounds and leaving classes halfway through in a dissatisfied rage.

You

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
School was weird for me. I'd act INTJish in the beginning of the day/week, but once I have something to look forward to right after class, like Fridays, I'm much more ENTP, and I usually talk in class to make it go faster.

This is the truth.

P

Phantonym

When I was in school, I acted completely different than when I was home. During school, I was quiet, respectful, and didn't really have a large circle of friends.

At home, I pretty much bounced off the walls and ran my mouth.

Yeah, that was me in high school. I never really cared about socializing...or school for that matter.

In the university...I'm even more quiet, reserved, cold, aloof...indifferent really...to the point, get things done, in and out as fast as I can. I am definitely more relaxed at home or out of school.

HotpinkHeatwave

MBTI Type
ENFP
At school, I was actually rather quiet. There was A LOT of oppression where I went to school - If you were different, you were frowned upon. Not that I was sensitive or could not stick up for myself, I just never talked unless I was with a friend/friends.

At home, I'm pretty wild.. Because, I'm completely comfortable here.

In public I'm pretty wild too. ;)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Generally I'm more extroverted at school than at home. I become a bit more of a trouble-maker, even in an university setting. Home is for being calm and resting.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'm not much different. It's weird though since most of the extroverts seem to talk less in school so In comparison I seem more extroverted although I'm not changing anything.

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
The only difference that being in an academic setting can bring out in me is an assertiveness/dominance that I otherwise don't seem capable of presenting in person.

In group projects I tend to be controlling to a fault. In my early years as an undergrad, I wasn't quite sure of how to handle my insecurity about working with other people, so I ended up doing 100% of the project/lap report/etc by myself. These days I'm better at managing groups, splitting up tasks, and setting deadlines for them to send their section of the work to me. (Yes, always to me. I always put together the final product and make sure it's cohesive.)

Snuggletron

Reptilian
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
in university I just sat there making disapproving sounds and leaving classes halfway through in a dissatisfied rage.

how come?

in high school I was more sociable, probably because your friends move up with you each year. In college now...without friends there to initiate conversation I have no real desire to speak. So I sit there drawing or staring off unless someone talks to me. If that is the case I'll gladly keep the conversation going.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I swear that whenever I start school, I become really weird like some sort of XXTJ wannabe (I think I go into an underdeveloped Ti overload).

This is interesting because I think I acted the same way while I was in college. I threw myself into work completely (and by "work" I mean both school work and my part-time jobs) and grossly neglected my social life. I became extremely focused on achievement: grades, honor societies, etc. Making a B was never good enough for me. I was a perfectionist. I would take less classes so that I could more efficiently focus on the tasks at hand: for example, I took my college math in summer school so I could focus entirely on math without many distractions.

I went to summer school for two years in a row. I would only have one day per week to myself between school and work during regular semesters and often even studied on those days. Eventually after 3 1/2 years of this I became psychologically worn down and had to take a break, because god forbid I let my GPA fall. It got to a point where I no longer even wanted to read for pleasure, which is a bizarre thing for someone who spent her entire childhood walking around (literally) with her nose in a book.

It's strange to me how obsessively "comfortable" I can become in this mode (I also did it at some points in my younger life with work/money even when I wasn't in school, but for much shorter periods of time) but then have to run away from it entirely, because as an NF it's a radically unbalanced way for me to live. I believe I did it so as to distance myself from relationships with men.

I remember even going to one of my part-time jobs and one of the 18 year old boys telling me that I acted like "a teacher." :laugh:

I really have to work to be at a balanced place in my life between the two things. At present I've gone to the other extreme of letting things go for a while.

G

Glycerine

^ That's quite interesting, Marm. I can relate. I have been in this mode so long that I think people who superficially know about MBTI would definitely type me as a T. I told my IXFJ sister in law that I'm a "closet emo" and she was like :huh: I am surprised... you're so analytical and a thinker (in a general sense). I used to always type as a T when I was younger (an ESTJ, to be exact).

I have also noticed that I can't STAND "idiots" and "incompetency" (almost to the same extent as stereotypical NT's) in school mode... my ENTJ school friend and I would vent about "stupidity" together... :D

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
^ That's quite interesting, Marm. I can relate. I have been in this mode so long that I think people who superficially know about MBTI would definitely type me as a T. I told my IXFJ sister in law that I'm a "closet emo" and she was like :huh: I am surprised... you're so analytical and a thinker (in a general sense). I used to always type as a T when I was younger (an ESTJ, to be exact).

I have also noticed that I can't STAND "idiots" and "incompetency" (almost to the same extent as stereotypical NT's) in school mode... my ENTJ school friend and I would vent about "stupidity" together... :D

Yeah... I relate to all of this. Nearly every word, except you can replace sister-in-law with "biological mother." She thought I was this cold, intellectual, controlling bitch and the depth of my sensitivity completely escaped her until my ENFJ sister explained it to her (didn't grow up with my mom).

It's interesting though because men usually perceive me as being extremely sensitive and emotional. It's like I'm two different people. I think it's what makes me so hard to type ... probably just a strong STJ shadow...though someone on here suggested that I could be an "unhealthy STJ" and someone else said she thought I could be ISTP, but she has no idea what she's talking about. I have tested as ENTP a couple of times, but not on mainstream MBTI or Socionics tests.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just started up school again after a four year downtime. While I'm more focused than I would have been before, it hasn't changed how I am yet.
The only clear difference is that I am neglecting certain aspects of having a social life, but I am social with some people in my classes. Others need to make themselves available to me, because I am almost refusing to go out of my way these days.

I've always been a note-taker and a margin-doodler. I've always procrastinated on studying until 'last minute'. I've always basked in standardized testing. These things are still apparent, but I doodle less and my procrastination has lightened up from being on the due date.
:shrug:

The only possibility is coming off as comfortably introverted if I'm by myself.

phoenix13

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm quieter and somewhat stand-off-ish. It's really hard for me to turn off the weird and delve into some concrete small-talk with socially competent people. I find myself literally scanning the room for people with uncombed hair and mismatched clothes, because they tend to be slightly socially awkward like me.

H

Hate

I act just as ridiculous in school as I do when I'm outside of school, but still respectful. My teachers get a real kick out of me. I've had teachers let me do extra work so that I could go from a "B" to an "A"... I also hit a bad streak for the last two semesters and two of my teachers gave me a passing grade when I clearly didn't pass.