User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Default The Internet has ruined everything...

Sure, the economy doesn't help. Sure, you can blame your favorite politician. Sure, you can blame our bloated education/college degree system. However, I'd like to blame the internet. [The internet has ruined the job market.

1. What good does all of this internet induced savings do if we cant get a job to pay for anything?

<> How many countless internet innovations have lowered the cost of something from $20 to $10, and yet, also costs many people's careers who formerly made a living (10s of thousands of dollars)?

2. The internet has taken the USA of "careers and service jobs" economy, and is slowly turning us into a USA of "Engineers and Customer Service" economy.

<> I kid you not, I know of MANY top 30 school people, who did not have technical degrees, who thought, "hey I'm sure even tech companies need soft skills!?" Right? WRONG.
    <> They took jobs at these tech companies thinking it would be some sort of track to management, sales, marketing...NOPE. The technology does all of that shit FOR the tech company, and thus these kids are now top 30 college grads (even IVY league) doing glorified customer service. This is only a taste of the future for the USA.

3. The internet has made the jobs that ARE available, much less torable then they were before! What was once maybe jobs that involved phone, face to face, etc are now jobs that involve sitting in front emails all day.

<> I have to believe that clerical jobs have been made easier by the internet.
    <> But who the fuck WANTS a clerical job in the first place!?
    <> Every other job that used to have the benefit of NOT sitting at a desk all day crunching numbers, has been turned into sitting at a computer all day doing something else.

I cant possibly be the only one with these sentiments. Can I be?

Are you ranting against the Internet or is the Internet just a symptom of the greater rant which is technological advancement reducing the number of bodies to facilitate a function?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Are you ranting against the Internet or is the Internet just a symptom of the greater rant which is technological advancement reducing the number of bodies to facilitate a function?
    Both are very much what I am complaining about. We are all expendable now in the eyes of the engineers. We are now glorified "soon to be" customer service pawns.

Assuming that you live in the U.S., 76.9% of its GDP is focused in service.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Assuming that you live in the U.S., 76.9% of its GDP is focused in service.
    My point is that while that used to mean "knowledge jobs", over time, this will come to mean "customer service" (as the internet continues to replace everyone but the owners of the websites).

I did and do understand where you're coming from. So what's the solution? Possibly position yourself to be one of the drivers rather than be driven, no?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

You've discovered something many people aren't consciously aware of. The internet is transforming the whole economy. Right now unemployment is about 10% and yet the number of job openings is much higher than it normally is during any recession. (Which is unusual. Normally job openings decrease during a recession.) This means that this is structural unemployment. People want jobs, but haven't yet acquired the necessary skill sets to acquire the jobs.

I wouldn't say these are all terrible jobs though. But they certainly are different jobs. I wouldn't think that people can simply count on working their way up the corporate ladder anymore.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    You've discovered something many people aren't consciously aware of. The internet is transforming the whole economy. Right now unemployment is about 10% and yet the number of job openings is much higher than it normally is during any recession. (Which is unusual. Normally job openings decrease during a recession.) This means that this is structural unemployment. People want jobs, but haven't yet acquired the necessary skill sets to acquire the jobs.

I wouldn't say these are all terrible jobs though. But they certainly are different jobs. I wouldn't think that people can simply count on working their way up the corporate ladder anymore.
    True. What you say appears to be very...true, unfortunately.

As you say, "acquire the skills necessary". What if I didn't major in engineering or accounting? It's not like I can just go back to school! And I would venture to say that possibly why there aren't many people studying these things is because...YES...those jobs probably DO ...SUCK! ( haha)

The internet has doomed everyone to stare at a computer screen all day!!!!

Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    True. What you say appears to be very...true, unfortunately.

As you say, "acquire the skills necessary". What if I didn't major in engineering or accounting? It's not like I can just go back to school! And I would venture to say that possibly why there aren't many people studying these things is because...YES...those jobs probably DO ...SUCK! ( haha)

The internet has doomed everyone to stare at a computer screen all day!!!!
    Well here are a few options. See which of these you like best:

a) Find out what companies are growing in your city and find out what kind of jobs they are looking for. Then you can decide if any of those jobs are palatable or not.

b) Take metaphor's suggestion and be one of the "drivers". This is what I'm trying to do right now, but I haven't made it to the point where I have income yet. It's the high risk, high reward option.

c) Work for the government. Regardless of what the rest of the world is doing the government is still going to collect its taxes and do what it's always done (especially if you are talking about the federal government).
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com