• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Stock Broker

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Is anyone here a stock broker or related to one? I have some questions I'd love for anyone answer if they are "in the know" :D.

1. What do you like the most and the least about your job?
2. What are your typical hours?
3. How much of your time is allocated to:
<> cold calling?
<> staring at a computer screen?
<> talking to existing clients?
4. How rough is it starting out?

Otherwise...I'd also like to just hear from others: How do you think an ENFJ would do in a heavily sales oriented career like stock brokering? I've heard the ESTP stock broker stereotype, but then again, ENFJ's are typically very "likable". I've read that being "likable" goes a long way in sales! :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
So you've got it narrowed down to teaching or stockbrokering?

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
So you've got it narrowed down to teaching or stockbrokering?

LOL. I'm just doin my research! I'm considering TONS of things...and yes it does include real life people I talk to...but I figure why not also try the forum?

I mainly just want more people interaction. It's why I'm considering sales'y stuff now.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
how the hell are you gonna make it as a stock broker in the 21st when e-trade gives me unlimited 5 dollar trades?

seriously, i dont know how brokers make their money anymore - the rate of success has got to be shrinking for them. i guess there's a lot of fools out there who dont trust their own judgment on investing matters yet still wanna put their money somewhere, cuz i cant certainly justify paying some company or broker 5 thousand dollars for advice i can get for free on money.cnn.com or other sources.

get my money out of Ford and into metals?!? YOU DONT SAY?!??! HMMMM

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
how the hell are you gonna make it as a stock broker in the 21st when e-trade gives me unlimited 5 dollar trades?

seriously, i dont know how brokers make their money anymore - the rate of success has got to be shrinking for them. i guess there's a lot of fools out there who dont trust their own judgment on investing matters yet still wanna put their money somewhere, cuz i cant certainly justify paying some company or broker 5 thousand dollars for advice i can get for free on money.cnn.com or other sources.

get my money out of Ford and into metals?!? YOU DONT SAY?!??! HMMMM

I think you very much overestimate people's desire to take on a second job. Sure, there are "do it yourself"ers that can EASILY do it themselves. However, I actually know some very financially savvy people (real estate, P.E.s, etc), who want some stocks as part of their portfolio, but dont want to take the time to deal with it themselves.

Now would you be right that a simple van guard account would suffice? For most, yes.

rav3n

Retail brokers are a dying breed. The ones with credentials or a substantial portfolio of high net worth clients have mostly migrated to the buy side of the market.

If you consider the boomer generation who are either retired or retiring, holding the vast majority of wealth, they're either hands on through self-directed forms of trading or want to focus on leisure activity hence rely on some form of discretionary money managers.