User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    Yeah, maybe resources can make a big difference. But if you're resourceful enough, you can find what you're looking for depending on what you're interested in. Though if you're into theater/drama, then that definitely would be a bigger struggle.

yeah.... actually.. i guess, as i said in OP; it makes the least difference in sciences, or maybe i see it that way bc i am not interested in science, or anything you learn mostly from books, but i have a friend who is math genius and is also very bitter about our system. enough to say is that he is really a math genius and he is already 8. years on 4 year math college because he doesnt see a point in the way they study.

basically, all stuff you learn mostly from books, doesnt make a difference where you are. but as i learn better from experience.. well. .

It may just be that I took my resources for granted.
    this could be it also, maybe i am taking mine too comparing to someone who doesnt even have this, too.
    but i am just like that i cant help myself, i think i deserve the best

also when i was finishing HS; knew i can get scholarship for anywhere but i was very good in math, so i thought i can get it for math. i didnt know how system in US works and that i wouldnt *need* to study math in US.. also, took for granted that i will not miss much if i dont go. I was so stupid.

I don't want you to regret your decision, basically. Just because you didn't decide to go to school in the US, doesn't mean you can't start pursuing your interests right now. Yes, in retrospect, maybe there are more resources available at some of the schools here, but it doesn't mean you can't find your own way with enough drive and willpower.
    yeah i know. i am also unmotivated in this system. which goes with my, tbh, grandiose style that i deserve the best. i dont view it as grandiose always bc i think iam realistic, and if i was us citizen i'd have "the best", but others may say it is, sometimes i hear it.

btw. if college lasts 4 yrs, 120 credits, how many of that must be in major? how many must be in general studies? i know it depends on certain college, but i mean, in general.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    You'll find its the same here in the US that the best schools house the most ambitious students and not necessarily the most intelligent.

All these factors you're talking about here will depend on the university. Even at the top level, all these factors are different depending on the school - so you'd have to look up each school individually. Every school is different.
    yeah that's why i am not attracted to top top schools.
    i like it how each school is different and you can find a fit.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I guess that's one huge difference for Croatian and American schools -- in US schools, you often HAVE TO take classes outside of your major to graduate. Americans are very indecisive compared to Europeans. Many don't declare majors until their sophomore year, and they might change even after that...
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    I guess that's one huge difference for Croatian and American schools -- in US schools, you often HAVE TO take classes outside of your major to graduate. Americans are very indecisive compared to Europeans. Many don't declare majors until their sophomore year, and they might change even after that...
    yeah here if you decide to change your "major" even once everybody thinks you are insane, literaly. "what's happening to him/her? she is so lost"

i have couple of friends, mostly NFs and NTs, who were unsure what they want to do so switched 1-2 times, and they, shrinks or whoever, used that as "criteria" for personality disorder... i know girls who think they have a borderline personality disorder because they are switching schools, and diagnostic criteria encourages that (i am lazy to google, but its somewhere in 9 criteria.)

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

My $.02 is that in terms of raw knowledge you get only a slight improvement at a top school compared to an average school. However schools perform other functions than pure academic enrichment.

For example one purpose of top business schools is to provide a sort of "matchmaking service", although I don't mean matching men and women. If you looked at Harvard business school you'd see the students would be a mixture of the top minds in the country and the top money in the country. Here they can meet, pair up, and "go forth and multiply" their bank accounts.

Remember that one metric that people use to judge colleges is the average earnings of their graduates. However it can be dangerous to confuse correlation and causation.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    My $.02 is that in terms of raw knowledge you get only a slight improvement at a top school compared to an average school. However schools perform other functions than pure academic enrichment.
    Here it's very important what are you calling an "average" school. I was mostly speaking of European vs. USA system. And also, whats a top school? Top 50?

Remember that one metric that people use to judge colleges is the average earnings of their graduates.
    this is not probably the best way to judge, especially as i am mostly interested in NF stuff and arts.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    yeah here if you decide to change your "major" even once everybody thinks you are insane, literaly. "what's happening to him/her? she is so lost"

i have couple of friends, mostly NFs and NTs, who were unsure what they want to do so switched 1-2 times, and they, shrinks or whoever, used that as "criteria" for personality disorder... i know girls who think they have a borderline personality disorder because they are switching schools, and diagnostic criteria encourages that (i am lazy to google, but its somewhere in 9 criteria.)

That's bizarre.

Many colleges are less for learning and more of an exercise in concentration. You're expected to get everything done on your own time and dime and have a very unrestrictive schedule and a gajillion distractions calling your name. If you can manage your time wisely and graduate, then whether or not you've gotten your original major, at least you can prove you've succeeded at something.

The purpose of American schools tends to be very idealistic. Unless you have very specific majors (such as Architecture and certain Engineering degrees), the point is to "learn how to learn". Whether they succeed in this venture is an entirely different story.

Maybe I should just stop going to American forums because reading this all depresses my so much since I am probably sentenced to my country for another 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    That's bizarre.

The purpose of American schools tends to be very idealistic. Unless you have very specific majors (such as Architecture and certain Engineering degrees), the point is to "learn how to learn".:
    much more Ns place, that America.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    Here it's very important what are you calling an "average" school. I was mostly speaking of European vs. USA system. And also, whats a top school? Top 50?
    Typically when people speak of "average" schools, they speak of state schools (which get away with being an "average" by having populations the size of small cities), or small liberal arts schools (because there are a million of them out there). Large, selective private institutions (Harvard, Northwestern, Emory, etc) are generally not considered the "average"

However, there are some state schools in the top 50 -- in fact, I think after the top 25, most of them are.

For example, I go to a big state school. According to one ranking, it's 64th (so not top 50, but up there). It also has more students than Liechtenstein has people.

it's quite known thing among international students wanting to go to US, that chances of getting in are bigger in Ivy Leagues and other tops, than in lower ranked, because of scholarships. So state schools end up more expensive than top schools for internationals.