MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ILI

Default Happiness costs $75kpy

What does it take to be happy? About $75,000. - chicagotribune.com

Interesting! (not entirely MTBI related, but interesting.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ISFJ

I honestly think I wouldn't spend all that money wisely if I had it. I'd probably eat like a pig, and grow even lazier and overall have a lifestyle that would actually make my body and mind unhealhtier.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

It would certainly allow me to increase charitible works... and maintain regular medical, dental and vision care. It would almost certainly reinforce my current vice of frequenting used book stores.... and shopping for guitars. I would plough the rest into my biz...
    Last edited by Hirsch63; 09-07-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I'd imagine you'd have to adjust this amount depending on the cost of living for your city. Perhaps $75,000 is something of a national average?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I'd imagine you'd have to adjust this amount depending on the cost of living for your city. Perhaps $75,000 is something of a national average?
    Oh yes; I make roughly this amount in D.C. right now and it nets me a small car and a 1br apartment and a little on the side to invest with in terms of art for my various narrative projects. If I had this back in my homeland of Maine, it would make for a large house, a couple of cars, a large yard, and myriad hobbies.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, I'm pretty happy, and that is over 2x what I make per year... I do wish I earned a bit more $, but I don't need $75,000/year, at least here in MN. Now, that's individual income, though. The article wasn't totally clear, but it seemed like it was talking about individual, rather than household income...
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Yeah, this isn't that much at all in NYC.
    Something that's conveniently forgotten when people yak about the top 5% income earners is that these people often live in places like NYC where the COL is quadruple what it is in other places.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Well, I'm pretty happy, and that is over 2x what I make per year... I do wish I earned a bit more $, but I don't need $75,000/year, at least here in MN. Now, that's individual income, though. The article wasn't totally clear, but it seemed like it was talking about individual, rather than household income...
    I was thinking I'd read something that said $150K so that would make sense.

Cost of living is pretty low here, so our family of six could do pretty well on $75K. That's actually around the target of what we'd like to make in order to retire comfortably in 25 years.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    yupp

my yearly income is 19,200 its not a lot but i make do. also I'm only supporting myself, and my rents going from 700 to 525 in january so that's 200 extra dollars freed up right their. I wouldn't say I'm struggling well except this month but some complicated things happened. I just need to make it to october, I don't know if I'll ever make 75,000 a year i hope to some day.and the only bills i need to worry about is food,internet,phone, my share of rent, and credit card so i do quite well.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ILI

Mostly, from this, I took away the interesting part that AFTER reaching that threshold, people stopped being happier. I'm there's tons of unhappy 75kers and some blissful 20kers... it's just interesting data.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]