User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    The law of diminishing returns applies even to annual income.

It's true, think about it.

If you eat one cheeseburger, it is good.

Then you eat a second, and it is only half as satisfying as the first.

Finally when you try to eat a third you realize you never want a cheesburger again.

Right. When I met my husband he was making right around 73k/year. A few years later he was found by a recruiter an offered another job for around 115k. He wanted to stay with his company but they were freaking out at the thought of him leaving so they negotiated and that's what they offered him to stay plus a few extras and a better bonus. I can say we didn't become significantly happier with the raise although it's nice and we can save/invest more than we did with his lower salary.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Yeah, that's the problem, how to take into account cost of living. Around here, 75'000 € - year would mean luxury car, a large villa, luxury vacations (supposing a 2-childern family, which is the standard). Moreover, is it gross or net? Because if it were gross, then it'd be like 37k - year of net income, which is standard for a 2-children family.
    That's a huge difference. Is the difference in gross and net there just from income taxes alone?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Chunes View Post
    I make less than 1/7 that amount and I'm happy.

The idea of a monetary value being attached to happiness makes me sick, even if it's some sociology study. I don't buy it.
    It can make you unhappy to be taken to court over medical bills. It can make you unhappy to have to scrimp on groceries in order to pay the utility bills. I can make you unhappy to not be able to buy your child decent quality shoes when they need them or to fix your car when it breaks, or to have a leaky roof or a broken washing machine. Trust me. It really can.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Finally, I can' underachieve.
    Oh, its
    You

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

It sounds about right to me. It's unfortunate to have to be a slave to the bi-weekly paycheck at all though. I wonder if people who don't need to work are happier, or if they're more bored because they don't need to strive.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    That's a huge difference. Is the difference in gross and net there just from income taxes alone?
    Eheh, not exactly from "income taxes" - 25% of your income (on average) goes to income taxes, another 25% to compulsory pension contribution. Which used to work in the past, yet now feels like a ripoff (because they changed the algorithm for computing pensions, thus basically half of that money will be lost).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    It sounds about right to me. It's unfortunate to have to be a slave to the bi-weekly paycheck at all though. I wonder if people who don't need to work are happier, or if they're more bored because they don't need to strive.
    I think so. This gives me an idea for another thread. I'll post it as soon as I can figure out what section it's supposed to be post it in.

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Eheh, not exactly from "income taxes" - 25% of your income (on average) goes to income taxes, another 25% to compulsory pension contribution. Which used to work in the past, yet now feels like a ripoff (because they changed the algorithm for computing pensions, thus basically half of that money will be lost).
    I've heard that in Sweden 60% of a persons gross income goes to taxes. I think the most we have here is about 40% and that is only for the wealthy.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I've heard that in Sweden 60% of a persons gross income goes to taxes. I think the most we have here is about 40% and that is only for the wealthy.
    Be careful of the statistics you hear. Just because 60% of Swedish income goes to taxes that does not necessarily mean it goes to income taxes. Likewise in the states even the middle class lose about 50% of income to taxes. Even if income taxes are low there are sales taxes, property, FICA and all sorts of other taxes. On many taxes (such as FICA) the wealthy pay a lower percentage than everyone else.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ILI

Taxes don't bother me so much; if I paid 50-60% in taxes, but education, health, fire, police, road, etc were all FREE to me whenever I needed, then I'd consider it a good deal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    This blows me away. You honestly think it's a comparison.

You have confirmed my suspicion that productivism is the J ideal, and also that people can only be motivated extrinsically is a J thing.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau