First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ItsAGuy View Post
    Mostly, from this, I took away the interesting part that AFTER reaching that threshold, people stopped being happier.
    The law of diminishing returns applies even to annual income.

It's true, think about it.

If you eat one cheeseburger, it is good.

Then you eat a second, and it is only half as satisfying as the first.

Finally when you try to eat a third you realize you never want a cheesburger again.

With money, it's a little more of an elusive concept to ponder on, but the point is that at some point the sparkle of materialistic distractions becomes incapable of distracting the emptiness of a person without purpose.

I'm there's tons of unhappy 75kers and some blissful 20kers... it's just interesting data.
    Human variation is indeed vast and unpredictable in many ways.

Money is great, but I've always been more into people and freedom.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

$75 doesn't get you much in the DC area, for sure. I do a little better than that, and have a tiny condo and a tiny, cheapish car to show for it. If my happiness depended on money, more like $150 would have me smiling. Right now, it's more an occasional grin.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Man... so odd.. I mean I can totally see it, but the sheer amount of 75K totally boggles my mind, I don't even know what I'd do with that. I remember I was gleeful and thought I was living it up when my salary hit 42K right before I quit my job, and even with that I was living in a 750/mo apt (which, yes, I realize would be 'cheap' compared to certain cities in the country), taking some pretty substantial trips out of the country, could eat out and buy unnecessary things on occasion, plus put a decent amount into savings. I was even able to do all of that in the 30K range.. well, minus most unnecessary purchases and much of a cushion in savings.

Interesting.

For me, I think it would end up just meaning a whole lot more went into savings. Which would be nice, actually. I currently have little ability to add anything into retirement accounts.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    Man... so odd.. I mean I can totally see it, but the sheer amount of 75K totally boggles my mind, I don't even know what I'd do with that. I remember I was gleeful and thought I was living it up when my salary hit 42K right before I quit my job, and even with that I was living in a 750/mo apt (which, yes, I realize would be 'cheap' compared to certain cities in the country), taking some pretty substantial trips out of the country, could eat out and buy unnecessary things on occasion, plus put a decent amount into savings. I was even able to do all of that in the 30K range.. well, minus most unnecessary purchases and much of a cushion in savings.

Interesting.

For me, I think it would end up just meaning a whole lot more went into savings. Which would be nice, actually. I currently have little ability to add anything into retirement accounts.
    Aye aye; Right about now, I'd happily take a paycut of about a third of that if it meant I could head back up to Maine. I dislike D.C. quite a bit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

My parents each make around 75-80kpy...and they're miserable about how poor they are, but then again, they don't talk about where the money goes. A lot of it is just plain wasted or spend way too much on utilities.

Plus, if I had to make an estimate on how much would make me happy, probably at least 120k for myself per year...I want to travel and do things, and even with the money my parents make now they can't afford it.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I've not wasted money since 2003. I became a student then and now I'm unemployed. Everything I get goes to living. All clothes I have are secondhand, I brew my own beer. Too bad I drink coffee and smoke, it's expensive.

I wouldn't say I am unhappy, though... Unemployment gives certain freedom, and you learn to do stuff. Like bake bread and build things. Just made a new casing for my computer. Not pretty, but works...

MBTI
    ESFJ

75,000.00 USD = 48,473.94 GBP

Holy shit.

I earn with tax credits around £21K at present .. I have 2 teenagers though and they like their 360 games. If i only had to live on my work income i would be fucked financially.

I am happy with what i have though .. I recently sold my car so i could save more money and i'm doing incredibly well so far with regards to my savings.

I'm also the person though that when on welfare when younger was able to save for driving lessons and take a weeks trip to Canada without my kids suffering.

You just get smart and really happiness doesn't come from what you have .. But how you feel about everything.
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Oh yes; I make roughly this amount in D.C. right now and it nets me a small car and a 1br apartment and a little on the side to invest with in terms of art for my various narrative projects. If I had this back in my homeland of Maine, it would make for a large house, a couple of cars, a large yard, and myriad hobbies.)
    Yeah, that's the problem, how to take into account cost of living. Around here, 75'000 € - year would mean luxury car, a large villa, luxury vacations (supposing a 2-childern family, which is the standard). Moreover, is it gross or net? Because if it were gross, then it'd be like 37k - year of net income, which is standard for a 2-children family.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

i read something similar to this lately but the cutoff was 40k. seems more logical to me. 75kpy around these parts is a lot (though i've got family in NYC, i'm well aware it's chump change there)

i think i could be happy on very little but i want to make a lot because i like luxuries, lol. i like eating at fancy restaurants and going on cruises and travelling and god plane tickets cost a lot. oh and i like gadgets... that's a serious problem too... lol

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I make less than 1/7 that amount and I'm happy.

The idea of a monetary value being attached to happiness makes me sick, even if it's some sociology study. I don't buy it.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau