123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Default Lost as to what to do.

I'm a sophomore in college, and I need to figure out something I want to do...but it's a little more complicated than that, but at least it eliminates a lot of possibilities out.

Anyway. As of now, I'm attending a 4 year state college and majoring in Graphic Design/Animation...so far, I hate it...I thought I would like it. It's very basic...and a lot of it is core classes, but I already took basically the same classes in high school, so it's hum-de-dum deja vu, for a lot of money, and I don't really want to spend for another semester to see if I still actually would like animation or not (you technically don't start the coursework until your junior year, and I already wasted a year seeing if I liked one college or not in the first place).

So, I need to consider what else could I major in? I've considered a lot of factors into this to make it much simpler for me to choose, but I'm not good at looking at statistics and predicting the future:
    1. I have made it a given that I will most likely not enjoy doing anything I make a career out of (although I found I might have a fondness for sciences, but I could just be kidding myself).
    2. I'm okay with that, just as long the major I choose offers the opportunities to internships that leads to careers that give a decent pay (aka hitting 6 digit salaries) and reasonable hours and benefits, including travel time.
    3. Whatever I do choose to major in, I want it to be something interesting (nothing like accounting or being a pharmacist...boorrrring). Something that will challenge me in many ways, something that will be different by the day (for the most part).
    4. I don't mind going to graduate school for anything, but I want a major that will look good in whatever I decide to go into. I'll be willing to go in order to get a better paying job.

I could be dreaming too much, maybe such a job doesn't exist for someone like me...but I really hope there is one....maybe computer science might offer such an opportunity?

Any ideas?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

hmmm... all I can say is that in academics following your intellectual passions doesn't always pay off... I have 3 liberal arts degrees and can't find a job using any of them thanks to a government hiring freeze in my area

study the most practical thing you can find that won't bore you to tears and take the classes that really interest you for your electives... or if you're super lucky, you'll find something practical that you're passionate about
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    hmmm... all I can say is that in academics following your intellectual passions doesn't always pay off... I have 3 liberal arts degrees and can't find a job using any of them thanks to a government hiring freeze in my area

study the most practical thing you can find that won't bore you to tears and take the classes that really interest you for your electives... or if you're super lucky, you'll find something practical that you're passionate about
    But if you are not passionate about your field, it can be hard to sustain the level of effort to do well, especially if grad school is needed. Follow your passions, but augment that with some supporting skills, whether that be with computers, languages, statistics, etc. etc. so you can always support yourself if you don't get your "dream job".

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    But if you are not passionate about your field, it can be hard to sustain the level of effort to do well, especially if grad school is needed. Follow your passions, but augment that with some supporting skills, whether that be with computers, languages, statistics, etc. etc. so you can always support yourself if you don't get your "dream job".
    That's the thing though, I have no passions, although I truly wish I did.

Everything bores me to tears, too. I just find most of the things I learn in class (other than sciences or math) to just be way too repetitive for my tastes.

And I hope I can support myself. God, I spend all of my savings from working full time for four months just on books for college. That hurt really bad.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

If you can't identify any real passions or interests, are there things you are particularly good at? It sounds like science and math stand out in your experience; could you switch to one of these departments?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

If you can't identify any real passions or interests, are there things you are particularly good at? It sounds like science and math stand out in your experience; could you switch to one of these departments?
    I'm good at...a lot of things.
    I actually went into the career center at my university last year, and they made me take a career aptitude test...I forgot what it was, but it had to deal with five different categories, one was Art, one was Science, I don't remember the rest, but I tied with four of the five subjects, and the counselor was like, 'Wow, you really can do anything! Just choose what you like to do!"

I was hoping for answers, or at least to narrow ideas down to possibly one subject...I wasn't expecting to tie in everything (except secretarial work and such...bleh).

About the science/math thing, I did poorly at my previous university, but for many reasons. I want to try it out here, but what turns me off from it so much is that I feel like it's been drilled into my head to like math and science, it explains all the academic summer camps I was forced to go to, either by myself or my mother...I thought they'd be useful I guess.

MBTI
    ISTx

Criminal Justice or Law appeal?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my passion is Sociology... unless I want to go to grad school, it doesn't really pay off... I studied languages and stats as well, but there's a hiring freeze... by this point I really wish that I'd studied something like nursing, which would have been signifigantly more marketable of a skill and I still would have been interacting with and learning about people

I'm just speaking from experience there
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Criminal Justice or Law appeal?
    It did at one point, then I learned more about law school...I sort of really don't want to go through that...I'll go through med school, since it technically ends up being more financially rewarding in the end.

And yeah, I'm trying to see what the future holds to see what jobs and degrees will really be worth it in the next 5-10 years, I'm feeling like anything in technology or medicine is a safe bet.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    And yeah, I'm trying to see what the future holds to see what jobs and degrees will really be worth it in the next 5-10 years, I'm feeling like anything in technology or medicine is a safe bet.
    There will always be a vast justice system, as well.