First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    There will always be a vast justice system, as well.
    True, but I'm pretty much the last one people would expect working for the justice system. I have trouble with rules and such.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by tawanda View Post
    That's the thing though, I have no passions, although I truly wish I did.

Everything bores me to tears, too. I just find most of the things I learn in class (other than sciences or math) to just be way too repetitive for my tastes.

And I hope I can support myself. God, I spend all of my savings from working full time for four months just on books for college. That hurt really bad.
    I can relate a lot to what you are saying. I'm 35, and for 34 years of my life I've never really enjoyed anything that resembled work even though I learn fast and seem to be able to do just about anything. I've just recently found work that I like to do, but I'm not quite to the point that I'm getting paid for it yet. (Actually I have a prospect, but no one has signed any contracts yet.)

Anyway here are the resources that helped me figure out "what I wanted to be when I grew up". The first is the Holland Codes. This gives an idea of the types of careers that you will like. When you combine your main preference with your two secondary preferences you will narrow down your career choices a lot. This is the test I took. It's really good but it will cost $10-$15 to take.
    The Career Key™ - Your Personality - Holland's Six Personality Types

The other resource I recommend is a book called "Now Discover Your Strengths". Amazon.com: Now, Discover Your Strengths (9780743201148): Marcus Buckingham, Donald O. Clifton: Books
    It will allow you to take an assessment that will identify what your natural talents are. This book identifies how you like to work while the Holland Codes what you like to do. I'd suggest using the Holland Codes to narrow down your choices and then use "Now Discover Your Strengths" to see if your talents can naturally fit one of the careers you're considering.

Good luck! I hope you find the career of your dreams.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I can relate a lot to what you are saying. I'm 35, and for 34 years of my life I've never really enjoyed anything that resembled work even though I learn fast and seem to be able to do just about anything. I've just recently found work that I like to do, but I'm not quite to the point that I'm getting paid for it yet. (Actually I have a prospect, but no one has signed any contracts yet.)

Anyway here are the resources that helped me figure out "what I wanted to be when I grew up". The first is the Holland Codes. This gives an idea of the types of careers that you will like. When you combine your main preference with your two secondary preferences you will narrow down your career choices a lot. This is the test I took. It's really good but it will cost $10-$15 to take.
    The Career Key™ - Your Personality - Holland's Six Personality Types

The other resource I recommend is a book called "Now Discover Your Strengths". Amazon.com: Now, Discover Your Strengths (9780743201148): Marcus Buckingham, Donald O. Clifton: Books
    It will allow you to take an assessment that will identify what your natural talents are. This book identifies how you like to work while the Holland Codes what you like to do. I'd suggest using the Holland Codes to narrow down your choices and then use "Now Discover Your Strengths" to see if your talents can naturally fit one of the careers you're considering.

Good luck! I hope you find the career of your dreams.
    AGH HOLY CRAP!!!
    THAT'S THE TEST I TOOK!

I remember, because those were the same exact personality types given on the other test.
    I remember tying in everything except social and conventional, where I scored really low on conventional.
    Damn my well-roundedness.

The career advisor was like, "Well shit, you're on your own, kiddo."
    It's yet another reason why I left the wretched college.

MBTI
    ENTP

AGH HOLY CRAP!!!
    THAT'S THE TEST I TOOK!

I remember, because those were the same exact personality types given on the other test.
    I remember tying in everything except social and conventional, where I scored really low on conventional.
    Damn my well-roundedness.

The career advisor was like, "Well shit, you're on your own, kiddo."
    It's yet another reason why I left the wretched college.
    Heh, that's interesting. However I have a very, very strong hunch why you are having trouble figuring out what you like. (As I said I can relate to your situation.) The reason is that one of your natural talents is that you're a "learner". This means that you tend to be quite interested as long as you're learning something, and you'll be disengaged if the material is something you've gone over before. I think that is also why you don't like your Graphic Design classes, since you've already covered the material before. The learner talent is interfering with you discovering what your true preferences are.

However there is a solution. Another way to figure out your Holland Codes is to figure out the type of people you have the greatest affinity with. What type of people do you naturally click with the easiest?

1) Creative types like artists, musicians, actors, writers, etc....
    2) Studious, scientific types or people who are drawn to technology
    3) Blue collar workers like mechanics, carpenters, or farmers
    4) Leader types, i.e. assertive optimistic people that like to rally others together to get something done

If you can pick your preferences from greatest to least then you'll know what your Holland Codes are.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Heh, that's interesting. However I have a very, very strong hunch why you are having trouble figuring out what you like. (As I said I can relate to your situation.) The reason is that one of your natural talents is that you're a "learner". This means that you tend to be quite interested as long as you're learning something, and you'll be disengaged if the material is something you've gone over before. I think that is also why you don't like your Graphic Design classes, since you've already covered the material before. The learner talent is interfering with you discovering what your true preferences are.

However there is a solution. Another way to figure out your Holland Codes is to figure out the type of people you have the greatest affinity with. What type of people do you naturally click with the easiest?

1) Creative types like artists, musicians, actors, writers, etc....
    2) Studious, scientific types or people who are drawn to technology
    3) Blue collar workers like mechanics, carpenters, or farmers
    4) Leader types, i.e. assertive optimistic people that like to rally others together to get something done

If you can pick your preferences from greatest to least then you'll know what your Holland Codes are.
    Hmm, difficult, for in all types of people, I have found people that I can click with easily, but also people I would clash with the instant we met (Some artistic types are too over the top about nothing and seem to be the most 'dramatic', scientific and leader types come off with either having 'House' personalities or they are the typical run over everyone to win no matter what types, and blue collar types just have completely different interests than me in general, but for the most part we can get along pretty well superficially).

Since I find that I get along with all types, maybe I could eliminate those negative aspects in people that I will probably never avoid if I go into a certain field by what I can stand the most and what I can't...

I guess scientific types are what I would get along with the most, by that reasoning, following leaders, artists, then blue collars.

And you're probably right about the 'learner' thing...although I find it interesting that I wouldn't consider myself a learner last year, since I didn't give a crap about my classes, if I wanted to know something, I'd look it up on the internet...but then again, my hierarchy of needs was dropped several levels down to trying to not be sick and to deal with the crazy residence issues I had.

MBTI
    ENTP

I guess scientific types are what I would get along with the most, by that reasoning, following leaders, artists, then blue collars.
    Going by that you'd want an Investigative type of career - something in science, engineering, computers or something related. Enterprising is second for you, so an ideal career would be something like managing other geeks, or doing consulting work or possibly starting your own tech oriented company.

My suggestion would be to pick either your favorite science or computer science or engineering and see if you like studying that. If you like that better then you know you're generally in the right area. I'd also suggest you take the assessment in "Now Discover Your Strengths". Simply knowing where your talents lie can help a lot in finding the right path.

iI have exactly the same problem, even bigger i assume bc i am probably older than you (23), and in my country dropping out of stuff gets you on the begging again, everytime you drop you are back at HS degree, even if you drop on 6th of 6 yrs of medicine school for ex.

this reminded me of something that i heard from counselor..that really really opened my eyes.

she said to me "you are kinesthetic learner, you learn from experience. by doing things, trying them. you cant figure out what you want with thinking (like many people can) you need to try it"
    that was maybe obvious but really opened my eyes.... bc it's totally true..

some people can say "Oh,i'd like to be a dentist, seems interesting and practical" and just go for it and never feel sorry.

i am just total opposite, cant figure out anything before trying.

so my problem is not trying many things, for starts, and system here is like that that i really cant try anything but medicine, for now.

but also... there could be probaby other reasons for all this....

like..

not being "school type", i am more and more thinking this is also my case.

also, i believe people like OP, me etc., really cant go for practical thing, we must follow our passion, bc we would be totally unmotivated in something else.

this is all my case

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Petra Pan View Post
    iI have exactly the same problem, even bigger i assume bc i am probably older than you (23), and in my country dropping out of stuff gets you on the begging again, everytime you drop you are back at HS degree, even if you drop on 6th of 6 yrs of medicine school for ex.

Wow, what country are you from?!

Wow, what country are you from?!
    Croatia. but the system is the same in whole Europe

also, intuitives problem: all must make sense on greater level...i must satisfy your current feelings, hunches, interests...it must stimulate you
    getting distracted is easy when you are like that, always searching for something new.

ExTP seems more like ENTP in your case.