User Tag List

123 Last

Default Exit Interviews, advice needed!

How is the best way to handle an exit interview. I dont know if its good to say negative things or not. Thank you for your help
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

MBTI
    INtP

I thing that the number one thing is -- don't burn any bridges. So I'd stay away from the negatives (no matter how satisfying it would be to mention them). Focus on the positives of what you're doing next, and don't be too shy to flatter your present employer a bit ("I learned so much from you", etc. blah blah blah). No need to be fake or lie, but there's definitely an art to leaving a position. Not something I've done, but I've seen numerous people just blow it (when called on the phone, saying "Oh, yeah -- I quit" and hanging up, just not showing up anymore, etc.). I've also seen people who *didn't* blow it come back -- either in a similar or a higher position. Word gets around, and you've got nothing to lose by being gracious and polite, and potentially a lot to lose by going out on a bad note.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTP

Yeah, don't burn any bridges is a good way to go. However, if you do see things that need improvement I'd voice them -- in a non accusatory way. Stay away from the blame game.

They wouldn't ask if they didn't want to know. IME, I've still gotten great references and offers to come back while still being honest in the exit interview.

So if my reason for leaving is because of my boss, should I not say that in the interview?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I don't get it. Why do they have things like exit interviews?

(sorry I have no advice)

To get feedback about your stay with the company I guess. Ive heard that exit interviews can come back to bite you in the butt though!

Stay away from expressing negatives. The better taste you leave, the more likely they will provide a good reference in the future.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    How is the best way to handle an exit interview. I dont know if its good to say negative things or not. Thank you for your help
    BEWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:

If you have a grievance, and you do not state it, then your current employer will claim that they gave you an opportunity to voice as such, and you chose to decline by not informing them.

ALSO =

If you have a grievance and you do state it, then it will be held against you should you ever wish to return working there, which you might, you NEVER KNOW.

SO,

Kelric is right, say NOTHING that can be held against you later. Just say that you have found an opportunity that you wish to explore, THAT IS ALL. Do not tell them WHERE, or WHAT you will be doing, just tell them you've got an opportunity you want to explore.

Don't tell them how much you oved working there, or how much you hated it, business is business, you don't owe them any of that, and they know it.

Any questions, please let me know.

-Halla
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Yeah, I'm with everyone else in saying don't burn any bridges at all. Be very careful about what you say and how you say it. If your boss is the reason you left, I would not mention anything about it. Halla's advice is the best I think - I think grievances should only be stated if it's something very very serious and even then, I'd be very tactful about how I said it without accusing any one directly.

Okie dokie, my lips are zipped. I'll just say I would like to work different hours. Thanks a bunch guys <3 !