User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i think everyone here has great advice.

i have always been very outspoken at my jobs, and really spoke out in a big way when i left the job. my feeling is if the bridge is unsteady, BURN IT TO THE GROUND.
    but i have been fired a lot, and made enemies that way. it works for me, it is the right thing for me. because i feel like it is the real and true me to speak out about crappy jobs and burn bridges in a firestorm if i need to. but it definitely closes doors and hurts feelings.

i would say tact and quiet grace is the smart and best and RIGHT way to go. don't burn bridges.

I agree with most of the above posts. Anything you say might be used against you.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Don't burn bridges and don't make any criticisms against single individuals. If you have criticism of the way the company was run, state it and state what they might do to fix the problem too. For instance: "I thought that sending xyz papers to this group, then this group, then this group was costly and confusing. It would have been easier to elect one person to make the determination and then go back to the department only if there was a problem." Why not? If they bother to set up an exit interview, I'm guessing they're actually interested in your feedback.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

On the other hand, if you are leaving because of a poor boss, how many other people are affected by this boss, including future employees -- perhaps your own replacement? His managers may have no idea he is a problem if no one says anything. So, you may be doing others a favor by speaking up. Even this can be done tactfully, however, if you frame it as a "personality conflict", that you weren't a good fit working with this particular supervisor. People can read between the lines, especially if you are not the only one who has commented on this person.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    So if my reason for leaving is because of my boss, should I not say that in the interview?

What did your boss do? I'm cross with them already :steam:
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

I will respond to your answer soon
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

*twiddles thumbs* *taps fingers*
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Kay so I ended up going on the exit interview...here are some suggestions I gave

-New supervisors could be on a probationary period, with another experienced supervisor or director – like a buddy system. The buddy will be cc’ed in all emails, providing coaching, training, and advice on how to handle situations, and to make sure everything is being handled correctly and efficiently.

-Interpersonal communications training would benefit leaders (and even employees). Understanding that there are many different personality types in a team, and sometimes need compromise your normal way of communication to get through to certain people. For positive results it is essential.

-Build a training department with one or two people holding the title as “Trainer” for the whole company. Could also take on procedure writing and special projects. There are many knowledgeable people here who train but don’t necessarily have great speaking & teaching skills.

Not bad right!
    Fe | Ni | Se | Ti ... 3w4 ... Lawful Neutral ... Johari -Nohari

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Kay so I ended up going on the exit interview...here are some suggestions I gave

-New supervisors could be on a probationary period, with another experienced supervisor or director – like a buddy system. The buddy will be cc’ed in all emails, providing coaching, training, and advice on how to handle situations, and to make sure everything is being handled correctly and efficiently.

-Interpersonal communications training would benefit leaders (and even employees). Understanding that there are many different personality types in a team, and sometimes need compromise your normal way of communication to get through to certain people. For positive results it is essential.

-Build a training department with one or two people holding the title as “Trainer” for the whole company. Could also take on procedure writing and special projects. There are many knowledgeable people here who train but don’t necessarily have great speaking & teaching skills.

Not bad right!
    Yeah, if that's all you said and kept it vague without pointing any fingers at specific people, then that's great, solid, practical advice for the company. Well done.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    i think everyone here has great advice.

i have always been very outspoken at my jobs, and really spoke out in a big way when i left the job. my feeling is if the bridge is unsteady, BURN IT TO THE GROUND.
    but i have been fired a lot, and made enemies that way. it works for me, it is the right thing for me. because i feel like it is the real and true me to speak out about crappy jobs and burn bridges in a firestorm if i need to. but it definitely closes doors and hurts feelings.
    Yeah, I also am very likely to burn bridges, as long as I considered that job as being crappy. I would personally suggest doing it, as long as you're not a really sensitive person. However, given that panicking about an exit interview is a likely signal of realtively high sensitivity, being tactful might be more appropriate.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp