• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

college?

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Hate to break it to you but college isn't for preparing you to do a job. Most of the things a person needs to know at any given job are too specific to teach everyone, which is why a person is still only considered "entry level" once they finish a degree. For that matter, many people end up in a field completely different from what they studied in college. There are those seeking a niche who graduate from Ivy league schools, but even then the chances of them being satisfied in their selection of work isn't terribly high.

To the first poster: It's best to approach college with an open mind about the purpose of it and don't overthink it. People often attach a lot of stigmata to the type and size of college one attends, as if magical fairies are going to make you a more successful person because you attended a school with the best reputation :rolleyes: These people have little real world experience and common sense and you should ignore them. Community college is a great place to start because it is cost effective, the classes are often small which helps you develop study habits, and you will be exposed to a wider variety of people in a low pressure environment. This allows you to get a sense of the lifetime potential behind your college experience rather than only grinding out a degree in a competitive university.

Stigmata? Woah!
PadrePioStigmata.jpg

:cheese::cheese:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You do make good points. A lot of people do choose a college based on the status it affords them rather than the actual education they will get. And you are also correct that college, often, does not really prepare you for a specific job. At least, a liberal arts college. But I stlll think it's an experience worth having - college teaches you a lot of things besides job skills, and of course even if it doesn't prepare you for a SPECIFIC job, a lot of jobs require a bachelors degree, even if that degree's not necessarily related to the job.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
A lot of people I know that have taken on internships while they were in college ended up with a full time position with the company they did the internship with after they graduated. They looked at that as job experience. Even the community college I work at has internships now.

However, from what I have seen, very rarely does a person's degree make sense with the career they have. It seems like Medical and Law are the only real sticklers for the proper degrees these days.

And as far as universities offering studying abroad, our community college has even picked that up. Once a year there is a group of students that gets the opportunity to go over to England. They are currently trying to work out one with Africa as well.

Blown Ghost

MBTI Type
ESFP
Stigmata? Woah!
:cheese::cheese:

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You do make good points. A lot of people do choose a college based on the status it affords them rather than the actual education they will get. And you are also correct that college, often, does not really prepare you for a specific job. At least, a liberal arts college. But I stlll think it's an experience worth having - college teaches you a lot of things besides job skills, and of course even if it doesn't prepare you for a SPECIFIC job, a lot of jobs require a bachelors degree, even if that degree's not necessarily related to the job.

:rofl1:

I agree! College is a great idea overall, for sure. My point was that the college you attend is not such a humongous deal.

Here's some more information about the reality of the post-college hiring environment if it interests you:
http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/1289270-post8.html

G

Glycerine

Move to MN, go to a CC (10,000 total for two years), and then transfer to U of MN. :) It will SAVE YOU A LOT.