User Tag List

First 567

Thread: college?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Blown Ghost View Post
    Hate to break it to you but college isn't for preparing you to do a job. Most of the things a person needs to know at any given job are too specific to teach everyone, which is why a person is still only considered "entry level" once they finish a degree. For that matter, many people end up in a field completely different from what they studied in college. There are those seeking a niche who graduate from Ivy league schools, but even then the chances of them being satisfied in their selection of work isn't terribly high.

To the first poster: It's best to approach college with an open mind about the purpose of it and don't overthink it. People often attach a lot of stigmata to the type and size of college one attends, as if magical fairies are going to make you a more successful person because you attended a school with the best reputation These people have little real world experience and common sense and you should ignore them. Community college is a great place to start because it is cost effective, the classes are often small which helps you develop study habits, and you will be exposed to a wider variety of people in a low pressure environment. This allows you to get a sense of the lifetime potential behind your college experience rather than only grinding out a degree in a competitive university.
    Stigmata? Woah!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You do make good points. A lot of people do choose a college based on the status it affords them rather than the actual education they will get. And you are also correct that college, often, does not really prepare you for a specific job. At least, a liberal arts college. But I stlll think it's an experience worth having - college teaches you a lot of things besides job skills, and of course even if it doesn't prepare you for a SPECIFIC job, a lot of jobs require a bachelors degree, even if that degree's not necessarily related to the job.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

A lot of people I know that have taken on internships while they were in college ended up with a full time position with the company they did the internship with after they graduated. They looked at that as job experience. Even the community college I work at has internships now.

However, from what I have seen, very rarely does a person's degree make sense with the career they have. It seems like Medical and Law are the only real sticklers for the proper degrees these days.

And as far as universities offering studying abroad, our community college has even picked that up. Once a year there is a group of students that gets the opportunity to go over to England. They are currently trying to work out one with Africa as well.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    Go Here
    As I said. Find a school that'll please your eyes and soul.

MBTI
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Stigmata? Woah!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

You do make good points. A lot of people do choose a college based on the status it affords them rather than the actual education they will get. And you are also correct that college, often, does not really prepare you for a specific job. At least, a liberal arts college. But I stlll think it's an experience worth having - college teaches you a lot of things besides job skills, and of course even if it doesn't prepare you for a SPECIFIC job, a lot of jobs require a bachelors degree, even if that degree's not necessarily related to the job.

I agree! College is a great idea overall, for sure. My point was that the college you attend is not such a humongous deal.

Here's some more information about the reality of the post-college hiring environment if it interests you:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...270-post8.html

Glycerine

Move to MN, go to a CC (10,000 total for two years), and then transfer to U of MN. It will SAVE YOU A LOT.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    Go Here
    ding ding ding!
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?