Thread: college?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Haha, I see where you are coming from. I didn't study for my SAT. I didn't realize how short the essay part's time was, so I spent 20 minutes thinking about what to write, and 5 minutes writing. As a result, I wrote the worst I have EVER written. I am a pretty talented writer, too haha.

But hey, maybe your other kids can do it. It is allllways worth a shot
    Yep and she can retake it as many times as she wants. Now that she knows what to expect, she could probably PWN it.

I think she's planning on going to IU right now and her grades and SAT scores are plenty good enough to get a loan free education there.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Brown does it too, cafe.

And someone else did, but they deleted their post. Sorry, that wasn't to you
    Yeah, I was the one who said it. Kind of wish I hadn't posted it, but my impulsiveness got away from me. Harvard and Brown are definitely not the only places giving full scholarships to kids from low-income families. Amherst College, Princeton, and Davidson are other great examples. A lot of good schools are doing this sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Private schools are overrated. I'd choose the one with more convenience and less tuition personally, as well as the one with the lower cost of living in the general areas.
    Kyuuei said it best. Honestly, the best general advice I could give someone applying to colleges right now.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I was just giving the other example I knew of.

Private schools may be overrated, but that doesn't mean they are more or less good. I think funding isn't always what you should look at, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Yep and she can retake it as many times as she wants. Now that she knows what to expect, she could probably PWN it.

I think she's planning on going to IU right now and her grades and SAT scores are plenty good enough to get a loan free education there.
    From what I have read, colleges don't like you to take it a million times...just 2 or 3. But That could be wrong.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by SecondBest View Post
    Yeah, I was the one who said it. Kind of wish I hadn't posted it, but my impulsiveness got away from me. Harvard and Brown are definitely not the only places giving full scholarships to kids from low-income families. Amherst College, Princeton, and Davidson are other great examples. A lot of good schools are doing this sort of thing.

Kyuuei said it best. Honestly, the best general advice I could give someone applying to colleges right now.
    Nah, screw Private schools.

I feel like I'd totally get a better education at a public school. It seems like I'd run into a lot of entitled rich kids who's parents money brought them the entire way. That would totally suck ass.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    Nah, screw Private schools.

I feel like I'd totally get a better education at a public school. It seems like I'd run into a lot of entitled rich kids who's parents money brought them the entire way. That would totally suck ass.
    Yeah, what Kyuuei said is best. I was just offering other alternatives in case you did want to go the private school rout.

Re: bolded statement. Truer words never spoken.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I don't think that the rich kids make the school's ed more or less 'good,' again.

And that is awfully stereotypical. Do you have experience?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

What I tell my kids:

Get something marketable that you can tolerate

Avoid student loans at (almost) all costs

Stay away from illegal drugs and people that use them because you can lose your eligibility for federal financial aid forever over one stupid incident.
    To receive federal student aid, you must meet certain requirements. You must:
    * Not have a drug conviction for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid (such as grants, loans, or work-study).
    FWIW, my husband's degree is from a private school (and we have the student loan debt to prove it) and he's been driving a truck for the last six years because the pay is better.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I don't think that the rich kids make the school's ed more or less 'good,' again.

no, but the education is only part of the college experience. to a lot of people, at least. i care about what type of people I'm living and associating with. I'd like to find like minded people to hang out with.

yeah, it's maybe the only thing I'll be stereotypical with. but it's also true. you're gonna find a ton of entitled rich kids at private schools. and more often times then not, they're pricks. screw them.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Well, I guess I really couldn't say. I would say in a large school, no matter what the funding type, I am bound to find a lot of people I like.

I don't need to like 1500 people out of 2000.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

There are stereotypes for a reason, though not always 100% true. And yes, I do.

And you better believe that the quality and character of your fellow students make a HUGE difference in what you get out of your actual college experience. Not everything you learn will be from your professors. Not even close. At least, that was my experience. Depends on what you study, I suppose, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelic View Post
    no, but the education is only part of the college experience. to a lot of people, at least. i care about what type of people I'm living and associating with. I'd like to find like minded people to hang out with.

yeah, it's maybe the only thing I'll be stereotypical with. but it's also true. you're gonna find a ton of entitled rich kids at private schools. and more often times then not, they're pricks. screw them.
    I agree.