Okay peeps, I need some advice! I have the opportunity to apply for a different position in my field, at a different by nearby institution. If I got that job, it would mean an increase in pay of about 15% and about 25% more vacation time. (Not to mention my job would be closer to home and I could bike there, thus saving $ on gas an parking!) However, I've just been promoted to a new position within my office (6 months ago) and I would feel a bit guilty about leaving so soon after being promoted.
Let me give a bit of background:
I work at a large public university in the study abroad office. I've worked here for 4.5 years; 4 of those years, I was an Enrollment Specialist, which basically meant I did all the administrative-type work related to our study abroad programs (filing, application databasing, sending out emails, etc). But ESs are also expected to, and therefore I also did,higher-up things like advising and presentations. But ESs still get the crappy benefits and pay of an administrative assistant, not to mention a distinct lack of respect. During those 4 years, I was passed over for a promotion once in favor of someone with less experience in the office than I had (this was my office's decision), and also denied a reclassification of my position (and thus higher pay) which I and my supervisor felt I deserved because of all the higher-up things I did (this time it was the University's decision to deny).
Six months ago, I reapplied for the promotion/higher position (Assistant Program Director - it sounds fancier than it is!!) and got it. At that time, my benefits increased a lot (more vacation time, much better retirement plan), and my salary increased a little (about 4.5%). But almost immediately after I got this new position, the University approved a plan to balance its budget by requiring all employees to take a 1.5% pay cut. So I got paid at 4.5% more than my entry-level, union job for 4 months, and now for the last two months I have been making only 3% more. It's still better than being in my old position and taking a pay cut, but still!
My husband and I bought a house last year and have had to put some significant repairs into it since then (new roof, furnace and now AC), and we hope to start trying to start a family next summer. Besides that, my husband wants to go back to school so he can get a different job (he works a dangerous job with crappy hours, right now). It would be very difficult for us to manage a baby on my current salary, not to mention him going back to school as well. So personally and for the sake of my family, I really feel like I should go for this job. But out of loyalty to my office and somewhat to the University, I feel like I should stick around. But I don't know when another opportunity like this will open up... positions in my field don't open up too often, especially a position that wouldn't require us to move!
So, help me out. What should I do?
(Of course, this is all assuming I am offered the position! I think I'll apply either way and if offered it I'll decide what to do, but of course I might not even be offered it! But I think I have a good chance.)