User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

lol human capital. Your talents are only as useful and meaningful as your farmer decides. You can always go against that though, it will just mean less respek and monies.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    Horticulture lol
    Srsly.
    Recreation & Leisure? Athletic Training? That these are "majors" at all is disturbing. Anybody spending money to graduate with degrees like this should accept that they are gifts to themselves.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I read this this morning as well and posted it on my blog. It's pretty disheartening, since many of my friends are gunning for the education field. It's the good-old sacrifice what you love for money scenario if they go for anything else..

.. I think now-a-days, it's all about getting as much education as you can for as little pay-out as possible as fast as you can. Truly, college is no longer based on education, and I feel really bad for educators that genuinely want to spread knowledge put that above business in today's world.. because the facilities, the students, and their co-workers all treat it as a business market, not a place of growth and development. An environment like that could swallow your desire whole, and never bother to spit it out.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by INA View Post
    Srsly.
    Recreation & Leisure? Athletic Training? That these are "majors" at all is disturbing. Anybody spending money to graduate with degrees like this should accept that they are gifts to themselves.
    while that might be true, it disturbs me that there's a lot of stuff on that list i'd consider valuable to the community (AKA providing a service to others). Social work, education/special education, Nutrition, Child & Family studies...anything that has potential to help people (especially children). Even intellectual or cultural pursuits like Theology, Music/Art are discouraged, you could say, according to the way we pay them. i'm actually surprised Philosophy didn't make the list.

maybe i'm biased because i plan on doing social work. I don't know; but i think it says a lot about the priorities in this country, that some of the people who might be dedicating their careers and their lives to serving or progressing the community and this country are some of the least paid.

also, i'm assuming that these are B.A.'s? i know that someone with a MSW, for example, has a lot more earning potential than what's listed under social worker.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I think it does reflect on our culture that aesthetics and assistance of others are the least paid. It's sort of the GDP mindset. There are a lot of things that make life better, that are ignored because they don't have much of a positive impact current standard measurements.

I think salary is a pretty big deal in job satisfaction, but obviously that will differ a lot from person to person. I do think it's worth noting that the theoretical pay for such a degree does not account for your odds of getting the respective job, though.

I don't have the article on hand, but I read one that said that indeed, the worst paying degrees hardly or do not at all make up for their cost. For many degrees, including tons not on that list, it only amounts on average to several thousand more dollars over the span of 30 years.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Yea I don't make as much as the lowest paying job on there lol.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BRMC117 View Post
    Yea I don't make as much as the lowest paying job on there lol.
    Because those are "careers", and most jobs aren't careers...
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Because those are "careers", and most jobs aren't careers...
    I know I was just saying
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

Enneagram
    1w2

With some of those fields you have to get a bit more discerning. I'm in Education, but I do Adult Education, Continuing Professional Education, eLearning, and ID/ED.

These particular aspects of Education did well even through the depression. People can't afford to go to a brick building to go to school or they have to work so they go online. Also people continue to need to be certified to prove they know how to do what they say they do because so many don't. The need for these careers have steadily increased and are pretty well-payed even in your early career.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by stringstheory View Post
    while that might be true, it disturbs me that there's a lot of stuff on that list i'd consider valuable to the community. Even intellectual or cultural pursuits like Theology, Music/Art are discouraged, you could say, according to the way we pay them. i'm actually surprised Philosophy didn't make the list.

maybe i'm biased because i plan on doing social work. I don't know; but i think it says a lot about the priorities in this country, that some of the people who might be dedicating their careers and their lives to serving or progressing the community and this country are some of the least paid.
    Sure, it seems to discourage more theologists, artists and musicians, but the flip side is that it's encouraging more mathematically-inclined studies. And I'm not so sure that what it is encouraging is not as "helpful" to people.
    Math and science education in the U.S. is wanting. What's alarming from this article is the prospect of discouraging pay for teaching these subjects, which are in demand and bring higher salaries, and, imho, have greater social utility than another theology teacher.

Perhaps the philosophy majors end up pursuing more profitable jobs. Then again, I also tend to decouple valuable from "well-remunerated." i chose my arguably impractical (yet very valuable to me) college major knowing that it wasn't going to bring in the money and doubled it with something more practical.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery