User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Default Psychology and Social Sciences

For those who have, are or plan to study psychology (those into sociology, social work or other social sciences can participate too):

Well first question I suppose, anyone here? Hands up!

Why did you get into that field?

What do you wish to do in terms of a career?

Most interesting, least interesting parts of study?

Toughest part of study?

Recommendations or words of wisdom for people looking at getting into the field?

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Really? =/

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

^Trin, there are only two people I know who have a formal education centered on psychology, and one actually focuses on behavior analysis.

One guy got his phD in Chemistry years ago, got tired of working in a lab, then returned to school to get his doctorate in psychology/counseling, and is now working happily as a counselor.

The other is a good friend of mine who got his phD in behavior analysis/psychology and now teaches at UCLA in L.A. (California) and also works with kids who have autism spectrum disorders.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    For those who have, are or plan to study psychology (those into sociology, social work or other social sciences can participate too):

Well first question I suppose, anyone here? Hands up!

Why did you get into that field?

What do you wish to do in terms of a career?

Most interesting, least interesting parts of study?

Toughest part of study?

Recommendations or words of wisdom for people looking at getting into the field?
    Sorry I wish I could help but I am only in my second year of study in psychology....

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Sorry I wish I could help but I am only in my second year of study in psychology....
    Oi! Come back!

Tell me about your experiences so far.

Why did you choose to study psychology? Have your reasons for continuing to study it changed since you started? What's the most interesting part of study?

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Trinity View Post
    Oi! Come back!

Tell me about your experiences so far.

Why did you choose to study psychology? Have your reasons for continuing to study it changed since you started? What's the most interesting part of study?
    Well, the thing I like about the social sciences is studying people in the abstract... it's my passion. It also provides a place for my strengths. I analyze people and things a lot, look for patterns, have good research skills, good with numbers (stats). If you want to put it in MBTI terms, I probably theoretically use Ni and Ti a lot but mostly for academics.

The thing I like least about it is that a lot of it is just speculation. Person A believes this, no wait, Person B believes this, oh no both are wrong because new research says this, well, "five minutes later* newer research disproves the old research...person A was right in the first place, nevermind, we don't really know for sure. :steam: This means that the contemporary literature can get insanely frustrating because of the constant back and forth. Also, my teachers have told me you should plan on going to grad school and a doctorates program if you want to get anywhere in those fields.

I hope to do a job with some sort of people analysis (a therapist, behavioral analyst, etc), and maybe become a professor.

I'm in the 1st Year and going into the 2nd Year in September. So... *raises hand*

I've liked most of it so far but haven't really been able to touch much on the biological side since I was originally doing psychology with sociology. Like Pitseleh, I guess I'm also more interested in the social side... more specifically about the individual themselves than group psychology. Though that could be a given considering the website I'm on at the moment.

My least favourite part of it: It's actually reading up on the stuff for writing the work up. It's interesting the first time round, but it gets a little tedious reading about 6-7 journal reports and finding extremely similar results so that it can be written as point of reference. They don't really let us play with our own ideas and stuff without backing it up with evidence which can also be a little frustrating I guess. Perhaps this will change at the higher levels though!

I was looking at teaching originally. Now I'm looking at the educational sector of psychology. Mind you... I can't say I'm big on developmental psychology, but that's probably more to do with the fact that I'm more interested in a specific medium age group (8-15) than I am with extremely young children. It makes sense, since that's the area where they change a fair bit and are open to learning stilll (in my eyes)...

I have my own small parts of psychology that I think I'd love to learn more about as an individual, but doubt the course will teach much about.

Dreams and Lucid Dreaming.
    Whether higher Dejavu also represents higher beliefs in the paranormal. Whether Si (SJs) are more prone to Dejavu.
    Enhanced sensations from synsethesia. =/

Stuff that I doubt I'll ever actually look at... but it's nice to briefly touch the idea. xD

what: mpp public policy (ma public policy)

why: family business... but mostly because i'm one of
    those legacy applicants... parents' siblings' alma mater

to do: consulting

studied: public economics, development economics,
    economics of education. so basically the sweet spot
    of public economics and political economy in developing
    context...

toughest part: well, most of the people are amazing.
    they are intense, creative and incredibly driven.
    it fuels me to do well. the work load and other people's
    stress... the vibe gets way too serious for me sometimes.
    this is probably more of a campus culture thing...

recommendation: network, network, network
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I'm a third year double major, one of them being Psychology.

I chose to go into it because I find it fascinating to study other people's behavior -- why they do the things they do. More particularly, the abnormalities of people -- I want to know WHY people do the things they do.

So far I have yet to be challenged with the classes for this major and I have been disappointed that I haven't really learned anything that I didn't know already.

MBTI
    ENJF

Why did you get into that field? I started out as a computer science major, programming was not my thing and it was mainly application based so no fun... I would have rather done things in the gaming area, which my school didn't offer. So after a little more than 2 years I switched to Sociology with a concentration in Criminal Justice, I was at the time taking a psychology class and one of my professors really like me so I added Psychology as a 2nd major. But, I'm really interested in behavioral analysis and criminal mentality. One of my favorite authors is definitely John E. Douglas. Oh and I've been a psych and soc-cj major for a little over 2 years now

What do you wish to do in terms of a career? Forensic Psychology, preferably. I plan on attended graduate school and maybe getting a clinical-forensic psych degree.

Most interesting, least interesting parts of study? Criminal mentality, criminal mentality haha, most people don't have logical or reasons for actually committing a crime, usually it's more of an impulse decision.

Toughest part of study? 400 law cases and 3 books in one class, in one semester haha. On top of senior thesis 2 for psychology, plus my other classes.

Recommendations or words of wisdom for people looking at getting into the field? Unless you really love it don't do it, you'll either hate you job or burnout and the schooling isn't cheap and the pay isn't great, read as much as you can about psychology and criminal justice ...also read the paper (online is a good way) everyday and know what's going on in the world.
    Last edited by Alexia; 09-08-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Added information