User Tag List

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Master's in Applied Linguistics

Well guys, I've just gotten accepted to the University of Bochum's master's study program in Applied Linguistics.

I'm psyched.

Anyone else do something similar? What were your experiences?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Congrats!

I started out doing my masters in Linguistics. Eventually I changed because I decided it was too technical; I wanted to do something more related to sociolinguistics. (Also, all the courses were during the day, and I had to crap up my work schedule to get to them.) But I still think linguistics is awesome and fascinating! Good luck to you!
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Congrats to you!

I'm finishing my master's in public administration, and I am now even more aware of how corrupt and complicated the world is, but I still want to make it a better place.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    Congrats!

I started out doing my masters in Linguistics. Eventually I changed because I decided it was too technical; I wanted to do something more related to sociolinguistics. (Also, all the courses were during the day, and I had to crap up my work schedule to get to them.) But I still think linguistics is awesome and fascinating! Good luck to you!
    OMG How cool, Aquarelle. Maybe you could tell me a bit more about it because in Germany, we incorporate all different elements of linguistics in one big batch and also combine the theory with language teaching, which is AWESOME. I'm so psyched - do you have any good literature to recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Congrats to you!

I'm finishing my master's in public administration, and I am now even more aware of how corrupt and complicated the world is, but I still want to make it a better place.
    YAY!!!!!! How's that going for you???

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Awesome, congrats!

I am fascinated by linguistics. Can I ask what your career plan is after grad school? I'm super curious. In the past, I'd given thought to a MA in linguistics, but am not sure what I'd do with it.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    OMG How cool, Aquarelle. Maybe you could tell me a bit more about it because in Germany, we incorporate all different elements of linguistics in one big batch and also combine the theory with language teaching, which is AWESOME. I'm so psyched - do you have any good literature to recommend?
    We do that in the US too; it all just depends on what the individual university decides to focus on. Here at the U of MN, the focus is really on the technical aspects of linguistics - studying syntax, phonology, semantics, etc. I'm interested in that stuff, but only to a certain point - I'd rather use it as a base to look at sociolinguistic issues. Sociolinguistics courses were elective and you could only take like 2, and language instruction is a completely different program.Also, my original plan was to go in to translation, but that's most likely not going to happen now. So I'm now doing a Masters of Liberal Studies, focusing on Language & Identity. I love it, and it's a much better fit.

As for literature, hmmm.... most of what I read is pretty specific to the issue of how language relates to identity. There's some good stuff, but I don't remember the exact titles... I have them written down and home though, and I'll try to remember to post them.

What aspect of linguistics are you most interested in, and what do you hope to do after completing the Masters?
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/