User Tag List

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Default How did you know?

What your dream job was (after reading the "are you following your dream" thread).

How do you know what you'll like doing...before you do it? :confused:

Did you just always know? Did someone suggest it? Did you just stumble across it? Or a more methodical process?

(this thread may exist already, feel free to merge, lol)
    -end of thread-

I sense something and then I know if it's the right thing. I just feel it. And I search for things that prove it's the right thing.

i just fell into it. and when working felt like... not working...
    i knew it was the job for me.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTJ

The vast majority of my life I considered it. It turned out that virtually every major thing I did ended up benefiting it in some way, in retrospect, making me more and more suited for it. Even when I tried not to do it, it was difficult. Anytime something gets in the way, it somehow manages to disappear and anytime I start to lose interest in it something random happens to bring it back. If I believed in fate (which I don't), this would be one of those things.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

I seem to have stumbled onto something almost by luck.

Although I am at the early stages of training .. This is how I know I will like it.

1-I see people who do it now.. and I think what a cool job. I would feel cool being back there.

2-It's interesting.

3-It's challenging and always changing.

4-I seem to have a natural affinity for it.

5- My teacher says my personality belongs in the field. Both for my quirkiness and my social skills. The former being a common trait and the latter being necessary.

6- I have a memory like a sponge for certain things, and for some reason my brain is retaining this certain stuff.

7- I feel proud saying I am studying it, and I will feel even more proud saying I am doing it.

Success is defined as loving what you do.. I am positive I will be successful.
    So I will love it .

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    What your dream job was (after reading the "are you following your dream" thread).

Did you just always know? Did someone suggest it? Did you just stumble across it? Or a more methodical process?

I dont know what my dream job would be, sometimes I think I'd like to do a more clinical therapeautic, "counch and analysis" style job than what I'm doing, I'm a social worker so there's a bit of that but its also more basic assessment and problem solving to be honest.

I just started doing this by accident really, there wasnt anything else that appealed, it didnt particularly appeal either and I had lots of time before during which I considered it could well be a sell out of some of my core principles, although less so than joining the police.

Apart from some of the seriously career orientated types I'd say there are a lot of people in this field who have followed a similar route into the job as me, for a lot of people its a cash cow too, the amount of people I've met who combine both the sorts of disarrayed thinking and acting they are supposed to be counteracting and basic money or status grubbing corruption makes me want to stick it out.

The bible story about "one good man", ie God sparing a population because of one good man or the one good man being able to redeem a situation, appeals to me when I'm struck by how imperfect the world and my field of work really is. Mind you, it was the featuring of the story in Johnny Cash songs which brought it to my attention.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I don't (or didn't) know, I just base everything on a whim.

Art school was a whim

grad school was a whim.

I'm trying to plan out a phd school but I'll probably just jump onto whatever, I just drift around.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post

its what I wanted to since I was a kid and I remember "playing" fireman when I was little pretending my moms flowers were fire and I would put them out lol.

Yup I knew from a young age, no one suggested it to me, just kinda came to me.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    infj

I don't whether many people know how they know. You just kinda know.

I've want to go into architecture since I was in elementary school, and I don't remember how I came about it. I just know I used to love looking through books of floorplans and would build miniature houses. I kept with it up until I graduated from high school, but I didn't apply to architecture programs as an undergrad, because I suddenly got cold feet and wanted to try other things. After a year of liberal arts I went right back to architecture, and am now applying to grad programs. It's interesting is that it's something I decided I was going to do before I even knew I had the skills or personality type to do it. I'd like to think it might be fate.