First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    I think ritalin is the cause. Whenever they find a child with ADHD or ADD, they pump them full with that crap. The ADHD might disappear, but the advantages of it, like creativity, disappear too.

(It's actually also the reason why I don't take that crap: it'll ruin my only talent.)
    Definitely. Let's burn big pharma!!!!11

Is creativity even useful for anything? I mean.. reallllyyy
    Nothing is truly useful for anything. We are all slowly decaying towards a maximally disordered universe.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
    Imagine a world with out creativity, we would live like cows.
    om nom nom nom.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Nothing is truly useful for anything. We are all slowly decaying towards a maximally disordered universe.
    I hope Entropie finds this thread to post on this issue.
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by ragashree View Post
    I hope Entropie finds this thread to post on this issue.
    lol
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Smile

Yes, they use Prussian Pedagogy to teach reading and writing.

So one of the great advantages of the authoritarian personality is that they are literate.

However we now learn to use the radio, the telephone, the television and the internet without Prussian Pedagogy.

So we are now saying that schools kill creativity - but what that implies, we don't know yet - and that's the crisis.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I agree its a combination of overmedication and an emphasis on shoveling kids through the school system and standardized testing rather than any emphasis on critical thinking.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Howard Gardner has an interesting book I have just ordered in which some of you may be interested - "The Unschooled Mind: How Children Think And How Schools Should Teach":

Amazon.com: The Unschooled Mind: How Children Think And How Schools Should Teach (9780465088966): Howard E. Gardner: Books

Thom Hartmann and Lucy Jo Palladino's "The Edison Gene: ADHD and the Gift of the Hunter Child":

Amazon.com: The Edison Gene: ADHD and the Gift of the Hunter Child (9781594770494): Thom Hartmann, Lucy Jo Palladino: Books

...another interesting read is "In the Mind's Eye: Creative Visual Thinkers, Gifted Dyslexics, and the Rise of Visual Technologies" by Thomas G. West:

Amazon.com: In the Mind's Eye: Creative Visual Thinkers, Gifted Dyslexics, and…
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I think we may also missing some of the other cultural differences that contribute to ADHD.

I am an old fogie of 55. When I was a child, my parents could not afford to sate my every whim in terms of toys and keeping me occupied. I had my Junior Encyclopedia - a trade off for my curious mind to keep my mother sane after she taught me to read at 3-4. Typical INTP - always wanting to know why. Mum's answer was "go and look it up"

I did not have parents buying me every latest toy under the sun, nor did I have the internet, TV and electronic games constantly stimulating me, so I had to learn to be inventive, creative and imaginative with what I had.

Arthur Mee had a lot of mythology, stories, poetry and stories from other lands, travel to which was not nearly as accessible as they are today. I would imagine myself somewhere else or that faerie lived under the moss but I developed a creative imagination as a consequence.

I drew and constructed things in Meccano, created tents over the lounge with sheets and had a wonderful time.

My grandson, by comparison, does not know how to be still and pretend. His parents indulge his every whim and when he has nothing to do they put on videos or buy him a new game, or take him out.

We had the freedom (and the safety) to disappear after chores with a sandwich and a piece of fruit and not come back until 5pm.

I can't help but wonder whether ADHD is not a combination of factors such as foods (proven culprits), over-stimulation and little imaginitive play, and natural tendency to not think in a linear way and yet being taught in a linear way as that is how the majority of the population learns???
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I think we may also missing some of the other cultural differences that contribute to ADHD.

I am an old fogie of 55. When I was a child, my parents could not afford to sate my every whim in terms of toys and keeping me occupied. I had my Junior Encyclopedia - a trade off for my curious mind to keep my mother sane after she taught me to read at 3-4. Typical INTP - always wanting to know why. Mum's answer was "go and look it up"

I did not have parents buying me every latest toy under the sun, nor did I have the internet, TV and electronic games constantly stimulating me, so I had to learn to be inventive, creative and imaginative with what I had.

Arthur Mee had a lot of mythology, stories, poetry and stories from other lands, travel to which was not nearly as accessible as they are today. I would imagine myself somewhere else or that faerie lived under the moss but I developed a creative imagination as a consequence.

I drew and constructed things in Meccano, created tents over the lounge with sheets and had a wonderful time.

My grandson, by comparison, does not know how to be still and pretend. His parents indulge his every whim and when he has nothing to do they put on videos or buy him a new game, or take him out.

We had the freedom (and the safety) to disappear after chores with a sandwich and a piece of fruit and not come back until 5pm.

I can't help but wonder whether ADHD is not a combination of factors such as foods (proven culprits), over-stimulation and little imaginitive play, and natural tendency to not think in a linear way and yet being taught in a linear way as that is how the majority of the population learns???
    Yes, at home we had a horse, dog and cats. We built things. We formed gangs and had mock battles. We made sledges and canoes. We went on day long bicycle rides in groups. We made bows and arrows. We did naughty things together. We shot sparrows with airguns. And we went rabbiting with ferrets. We had bicycle races. We joined the pony club for dressage, jumping, polo cross and the gymkhana. And we played tennis and football. Sometimes we rode the steam train all the way into the city and went across Sydney harbour on the ferry, all the way to Manly Beach. And on Saturdays we went to the movies to see two feature films, the news, a serial and a cartoon. And at night we listened to the serials on the radio. We would play a game of monopoly that would start on Friday evening after school and end on the Sunday evening. And our parents would read to us at night until the owl started to hoot.

And at school on Saturday mornings, we would have Atheneum where we learnt to formally entertain one another.

Bliss it was in that dawn to be alive, but to be young was very heaven.