MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Default Library Science, anyone?

Hi everybody-
    I'm in the process of applying for library school, and I am wondering if there's any other library science folks on this board.

Where did you go to school? What are you doing now?

Hope to hear from you soon.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

My dear friend just graduated with a degree in library science from a school in Boston. What makes you like this field?
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I know someone who is going to school for library science in eastern Tennessee. It's something I also thought about at one point, being an English major and all.

Good luck with it!

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    What makes you like this field?
    You'd think I'd have an eloquent, concise answer for this, being that I am in the stage in the process where I'm stressing out over writing Statements of Purpose.

Short version: I like the idea of working with information, of helping people find what they need, and of ensuring access to information. Also, I love books, but I understand that there's more to library science than "I like books".

Several years ago, when I was in a phase of "I want to go to grad school, but I don't know what I want to study", I had two people recommend library science to me within the same day, including my old favorite professor. My first answer was, "Don't you think I'm too LOUD to be a librarian?", but now I understand that I'm not going to be spending my time shushing people.
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post
    You'd think I'd have an eloquent, concise answer for this, being that I am in the stage in the process where I'm stressing out over writing Statements of Purpose.

Short version: I like the idea of working with information, of helping people find what they need, and of ensuring access to information. Also, I love books, but I understand that there's more to library science than "I like books".

Several years ago, when I was in a phase of "I want to go to grad school, but I don't know what I want to study", I had two people recommend library science to me within the same day, including my old favorite professor. My first answer was, "Don't you think I'm too LOUD to be a librarian?", but now I understand that I'm not going to be spending my time shushing people.
    Sounds great to me, especially the part about access to information for people. Good luck and I hope some real librarians/library science students post here too.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Yo, librarian here.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Awesome, I'm so glad to have another librarian to talk to. Though, um, I'm not sure what to say. I know I should have questions, but I don't know what to ask. I'm in the process of applying to library school and kinda stuttering in writing my personal statement. I read somewhere that your statement of purpose is the hardest thing you'll ever write, and knowing that isn't making it any easier to write.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I have oft considered going back for a Masters in LS. That urge was recently rekindled. I worked on the 2010 census, and my crew had daily meetings in a branch library in Durham NC. I don't live in Durham, but I live close enough that I'm there pretty often. Still, I had never been to this branch before. Well, I just fell in love with it. It was the coziest library with the friendliest, most cohesive staff. A childrens' librarian who clearly actually loved and enjoyed children- the first day I was there, he was dressed as a pirate for their summer camp, and pirating it up all over the library, saying funny pirate things even to adults he passed in the stacks.

Despite all that plus its being a branch library, it was actually fairly huge. Probably almost as big as the main library in my town. I seriously have considered going in there and just begging them to give me a job despite not having the MLS yet.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Awesome, I'm so glad to have another librarian to talk to. Though, um, I'm not sure what to say. I know I should have questions, but I don't know what to ask. I'm in the process of applying to library school and kinda stuttering in writing my personal statement. I read somewhere that your statement of purpose is the hardest thing you'll ever write, and knowing that isn't making it any easier to write.
    My statement of purpose wasn't anything spectacular but that didn't stop me from getting in. I suppose it also depends on other factors like your GRE scores and college grades as well as how selective the program is.

Bascially I wrote about how I loved helping others find information pertinent to their needs and promoting information literacy. I also mentioned about my love of learning and how as a librarian, I'm always learning new things.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII

It's a great occupation for IxtJ types, or at least it seems those are the types that thrive in the field. I have a strong P preference and it hasn't been an ideal career path for me, so I'm looking to use my skillset to expand into something a little less conventional, though certain technological aspects of library and information sciences can be quite cutting edge and there is always room for career growth.

Like paradigm-shift, I got into the field due to my love of information, as well as promoting literacy and the belief that the public should have free and equal access to information. Idealistic, yes. Put into practice, not so much.

I don't know where you live, and you would have to consult with sites that cater to current library trends, but special libraries seem to be the biggest employers of recent MLS grads. Those I know who work in public libraries tend to start off in part-time supporting positions but if you can manage to get hired on full-time, the salary is usually excellent, or at least competitive.