User Tag List

First 12

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

A friend of mine recently suggested this to me. She specifically said research librarian because of my love for learning and my talent for finding information. I have a special interest in medicine.
    But Jules' comments have me concerned--I have a strong P preference as well. Am I looking in the wrong direction?

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    EII

Glad to find this thread, i was about to post something about this. I was thinking this maybe the best career for me. I've been teaching and think i'll to transition into something else. I've always been good with research. Research librarian sounds like a great job opp.

What is it like to work in this field? Any one knows what the job prospects are like?

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel View Post

What is it like to work in this field? Any one knows what the job prospects are like?
    There are many different types of librarians and many sub-specialities so what its like to work as a librarian widely varies.

I can tell you what a typical workday for me is like. I work as a reference librarian in a large public library. The majority of my time is spent at the reference desk, helping people use the library's resources and finding information pertinent to their needs. There are alot of people wanting to use the library's computers so I help them with computer stuff. I also provide readers advisory services, which is recommending books for people to read based on their interests and tastes. I occasionally do storytimes when the youth services librarian is absent. I create and fill library displays. I compile booklists and website lists for specific topics. I evaluate the library's collection so we have up-to-date information that's relevant to the user's needs. I also periodically withdraw materials that are damaged, out of date, not circulating etc. I make suggestions for materials for the library to purchase. I don't get a final say in what the library purchases, though. My library has separate acquisitions staff who get to do that cool stuff. I also help the circulation staff when its busy. There's also mundane tasks, like helping the support staff with shelving when were behind and cleaning up the place.

Right now the job prospects aren't that great. But that could be said for a lot of fields right now. There seems to be a few more jobs now then there was a few months ago but still not that many. Alot of libraries are undergoing hiring freezes and some are doing layoffs. I'm hoping things start to pick up soon.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFX
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm-shift View Post
    There are many different types of librarians and many sub-specialities so what its like to work as a librarian widely varies.

I can tell you what a typical workday for me is like. I work as a reference librarian in a large public library. The majority of my time is spent at the reference desk, helping people use the library's resources and finding information pertinent to their needs. There are alot of people wanting to use the library's computers so I help them with computer stuff. I also provide readers advisory services, which is recommending books for people to read based on their interests and tastes. I occasionally do storytimes when the youth services librarian is absent. I create and fill library displays. I compile booklists and website lists for specific topics. I evaluate the library's collection so we have up-to-date information that's relevant to the user's needs. I also periodically withdraw materials that are damaged, out of date, not circulating etc. I make suggestions for materials for the library to purchase. I don't get a final say in what the library purchases, though. My library has separate acquisitions staff who get to do that cool stuff. I also help the circulation staff when its busy. There's also mundane tasks, like helping the support staff with shelving when were behind and cleaning up the place.

Right now the job prospects aren't that great. But that could be said for a lot of fields right now. There seems to be a few more jobs now then there was a few months ago but still not that many. Alot of libraries are undergoing hiring freezes and some are doing layoffs. I'm hoping things start to pick up soon.
    Thx for responding Paradigm. The job description sounds fine. I don't think i'd mind all the aspects you mention.