User Tag List

First 123 Last

For me, I get bored with the things I am able to do, and look to learn to do things I am yet unable to do. However, I have noticed that almost all the things I want to do are technical in nature.

What I want most of all is to just be able to pick any problem that interests me and work on it till it no longer interests me (I may pick it up again later).

I hate having to meet a schedule, and being forced to work on things that I am not inspired to work on at the time.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    For me, I get bored with the things I am able to do, and look to learn to do things I am yet unable to do. However, I have noticed that almost all the things I want to do are technical in nature.

What I want most of all is to just be able to pick any problem that interests me and work on it till it no longer interests me (I may pick it up again later).

I hate having to meet a schedule, and being forced to work on things that I am not inspired to work on at the time.
    how is the physics training/research/whatever going?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott N Denver View Post
    how is the physics training/research/whatever going?
    It's summer now. So no classes or research for now. Still at my old job.

I'd like to find a job with more intellectual freedom without spending another decade in school.

I guess the lesson here is that if you want a PhD, do it in a straight shot. It is immensely difficult once you start working and earning to break free of financial obligations. I guess the other option is to not get yourself into any financial obligations.

I am wondering if research universities would hire people with masters degrees in a full-time research capacity (not just a research assistant or whatever). The thought of earning a quarter to a third of what I'm earning now still bugs me.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I've contemplated being a therapist, artist, or writer. These things are what i'm good at, but they are simply hobbies. I wouldn't be able to really devote or detach enough to make any of them a reality and they would end up being a tedious, eventually-hated endeavor.

More realistically, i thought i becoming an art teacher. I abandoned this plan when i realized it isn't an easy way out, even though i'd enjoy it.

I'm heavily interested in/going to pursue exercise science and doing something pertaining to it, but kept selling myself short for a few years. I think the exercise science vs art teacher education is the closest example of 'want' and 'could' for me. If not, therapist would be in the mix, but i just wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it.
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

I actually really don't want to pursue a career - think that comes with the benefit of the doubt. I want to do things on my own accord that which I know best.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

What I want to do isn't career oriented at all. I don't really want to do anything productive (as in productive in an economic sense.)

I'm good at shooting video and tinkering with techie stuff pertaining to video and theater though.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

every single career i've been in, is typically
    recommended for enfp's career choices. all of
    which had nothing to do with what i had studied
    in for my undergrad or postgrad.

the profession that i've finally settled for
    is also what is reccomended for an enfp
    by the little tests.

i don't know if it's a coincidence, but that's
    how life unfolded.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    INTJ

What I am doing is also what I want to do and the career that I am best suited for.

Most of my life has gone in a progression from worst suited to best suited (also in accordance with my type):

restaurant > elementary school > oil refinery/chemical plant > serious career

I would like to be a professor but not until I was done with my other career and many things could change before that point.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by foolish heart View Post
    ...when it comes to your occupation/career, what are your thoughts about what you are able to do compared to what you actually want to do?
    Hmmm. This question is a little strange for me.

In terms of work in a modern business environment, I am ABLE to do ANYTHING, it just depends on how much time I need to do it.

Also, my career now is totally different than what I envisioned as a kid.
    Like many, I took a job that could sustain my standard of living based on what skills were needed in the economy at the time I needed to begin a career. I wanted to be a doctor, but ended up a techie.

So, as the years have passed, I realize now that I have been forced to develop in areas that are not really my default favored modes of thinking, but that has not been a bad experience, as I have improved greatly on things that I used to not be so good at doing.

BUT - now that I have options in the course of what work I am going to do in a given period of time, I find myself gravitating toward things that I am naturally good at. I'm a great writer, and a great speaker. I love giving presentations, and I love teaching. I also love running requirements meetings and facilitating work on creative business projects.

Although the way I got to where I am is totally unintentional, in many ways I am doing what I want to be doing, but that is because of me having the ability to select portions of my work.

Ironically enough, as of the past few weeks I have considered a radical career change. I might go to dental school. I have 3 of 4 years of a B.S. in Biology completed, and many of my credits should apply still, and even if not, it would be easy to take the pre-requisites. Dentists make great money, get to work with and help people, and have the opportunity to apply scientific/medical principles in their work. They also can make their own schedule to a degree, once certified. That sounds pretty ESTP to me.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm overeducated in the wrong sort of thing for my dream type of career... my parents would not let me drop out of college on a full scholarship and attend culinary school, so as an end result, I'm educated to run stats, design surveys or translate. When I dream I'm cooking
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett