• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Intuitives and Business?

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
From spending three years in college, I think I find the business world more interesting than many of the theoretical fields I've studied (am a math major in college). I'll likely go into accounting or actuarial work after college.

As an ENTP, I think such a profession works well with my abilities and strengths: as someone who is out there in the real world constantly trying to figure out what truly makes a good corporation and what makes a not-so-good one. However, all the MBTI stereotypes seem to say that Sensors like business and finance while Intuitives hate it.

I say down with the stereotype!!!

:bananallama:

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Actuaries can make mondo bucks. Risk management might be interesting for you as well.

Forensic accounting; is that fields greatest hope of not putting an E to sleep.

T

ThatGirl

I am fascinated with business strategies but not enough to play the game....if that means anything.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Well, there's a world of difference between accounting and actuarial professions (namely, the first is much more hands-on, detail-oriented and - from my perspective - somewhat boring; I suppose xSTJs make the best accountants - while actuarial science is much more N-friendly)

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I LOVE business. I cant work for other people, I always figure out a better way or smarter way to do the work and I read people well, these are awesome business skills.

Stol11

MBTI Type
ENTJ
As an ENTJ, people always assume that I'm into business and making money. Although I love to be in charge and can't work for anyone I am a research student at the moment, climbing the academic ladder. Business has never attracted me, but politics is a different matter...

mrcockburn

Aquaria
MBTI Type
¥¤
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It really depends on what kind of business you get into. I'd say Ns would enjoy anything with finance, marketing and yes, strategy. For sensors, I'd vouch for behind-the-scenes decimal-figure business - such as accounting.

I'm majoring in Accounting and Economics. Accounting puts me to sleep, but I enjoy Econ muchly.

I've had a lot of people say I'd make a good Investment Banker though... and a good many of those people WERE Investment Bankers. Look into that as well, if you like strategy, leadership and a fast-paced environment. (Apologies if I sound like a brochure)

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm finding business to be a possible thing to pursue for a career. Just knowing that it is so dynamic and that you never have to be stuck doing one job is appealing to me, plus my parents have said I have a knack for it, with all my crazy ideas to improve profits for local companies and such. :D

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The more and more I have delved into the world of "business" - namely, entrepreneurship, I find it to be like my own personal artist's canvas. The possibilities are endless. So much room for creativity - you can create an entire business/company from nothing. If you can dream it, you can pretty much create it (if you are willing).

I do not enjoy accounting. To me, accounting is just one of the many facets of the overall picture of a business. There's so much more that goes into it than just accounting. It's an important factor, no doubt. But, there are many other important factors as well. Luckily, one of my best friends is an ISTJ CPA! He loves accouting.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There are times I love business and times I hate business.

Business is lovely when it works the way it is supposed too. But it sucks when it is being hampered by supposedly well meant but completely airheaded goverment descisions.

Resonance

Energizer Bunny
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
6w5
I'd like to make a business but I always feel like none of my ideas are unique enough.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
hence 'enough' :(

Doesn't matter if you think they are better or not. What matters is that your customer thinks you are better than the rest. The strategy to achieve that depends on your (damnit, whats doelgroep in english) ehm, target customer audience.

General population at this time think cheaper is better, so how can you appear cheaper, without losing your margins. If your target audience is the richer kind that doesn't mind spending, then better service is better. So how can you let the target customer know you offer the best all round services?

And so on and so forth.

It doesn't even matter if competition have better potential or more to spend than you. You just have to sell yourself to the customers, the rest is meaningless.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Doesn't matter if you think they are better or not. What matters is that your customer thinks you are better than the rest. The strategy to achieve that depends on your (damnit, whats doelgroep in english) ehm, target customer audience.

General population at this time think cheaper is better, so how can you appear cheaper, without losing your margins. If your target audience is the richer kind that doesn't mind spending, then better service is better. So how can you let the target customer know you offer the best all round services?

And so on and so forth.

It doesn't even matter if competition have better potential or more to spend than you. You just have to sell yourself to the customers, the rest is meaningless.

There is a lot of truth in these words.

There are a ton of intuitives in business in all kinds of postions - including accounting, actuarial, finance, marketing, portfolio management, etc.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
This is a very relevant article about the prevalence of various MBTI types within the accounting and actuarial fields.

In a study of accountants, Schloemer and Schloemer (1997) found that the proportion reporting a preference for Sensing was 67% overall, but only 39% among accounting firm partners / principals, suggesting that “individuals with a preference for activities requiring a broad perspective and abstract reasoning have an advantage at higher levels in public accounting."

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Actuarial Science and Accounting are completely different and uncomparable fields (I have some experience in both, I'm studying Actuarial Science now) - so those results totally make sense.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Actuarial Science and Accounting are completely different and uncomparable fields (I have some experience in both, I'm studying Actuarial Science now) - so those results totally make sense.

I am also studying to become an actuary, and both my parents are accountants (for whom I have worked in youth).