• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Where do you work?

Moonstone3

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
9, 5
A 5 question quiz, to help me move forward in life-research...

1. What is your type?
2. What do you do for a living? Job title, description of daily tasks...
3. What do you like best about it?
4. What do you like least about it?
5. What would you rather be doing for work?

I'm thinking of going through a career shift, to actually live my life according to me, and not just where I happened to fall into work. I'll go first.

1.INTP
2.Pawnshop General Manager. Handling customer issues, employee issues, police stolen items issues, counting cash drawers, pawning and buying items, pricing jewelry, selling precious metals for scrap weight, selling merchandise, jewelry pricing research...
3. Jewelry research and pricing, jewelry buying, reorganizing the merchandise to be visually pleasing...
4. Drama between employees, the fact that I am the manager of the owner's wife, the owner's brother, the owner's best friend of 20 years...and one other guy the owner pulled from a store they worked together at for 5 years.
5. Something with more intellect involved, and more appreciation for what I've done and put up with. Maybe, a science lab, holistic medicine, anthropology, face detection analysis, linguistics, or an artistic photographer

Donna Cecilia

L'anima non dimora
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
1. What is your type?
ISTJ

2. What do you do for a living?
Job title: Government employee.
Description of daily tasks: creating and updating tourist information databases, tourist promotion, both in and outside the Country.

The posibility to travel many different places.

The career path is extremely slow. It can take ten, or more, years to have a raise in my salary.
Bureaucracy can make even the easiest decision-making process a real pain.

I´d rather be a Marketing Manager, in any activity.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. What is your type?
INtP 5w4 sx(/sp)

Systems/Requirements Analyst for the Social Security Administration.

I just started, so I have stuff to learn, but I basically specify what contracted software needs to do and intersect that with the needs of the various users and come up with a list of requirements and/or business rules that the developers have to follow when implementing their code.

It's sort of a dream job for an abstract thinking techie: You get to basically analyze a complex scenario, describe process/use flow and the basic underlying foundation of the system, and then hand off details and implementation (the "how") to other people to carry out. I don't even have to validate code at the moment, I'm in requirements.

- the basic job itself
- the people I work with
- the flexible environment & perks/benefits & advancement
- having a cool id badge

- government bureaucracy
- difficulty of coordinating between large groups of workers
- scope creep
- the hour-long commute

- Playing in and writing music for a band
- Writing stories, essays, and/or journals/diaries
- Sleeping
- Scienz
- Psychologist/Therapist

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
1. What is your type?
ENTP

Lifeguard at a water park. It's a summer job. It's meh. A job's a job.

The co-workers are pretty cool people. Mostly ambitious college kids like myself. It's nice not working somewhere where you're surrounded by bitter 40 year olds that couldn't get a job anywhere else because they didn't graduate high school.

The people that come into the park. I swear most of them are in double digit IQ levels or lower. Yes many are nice, but the ones that give you trouble really give you trouble, but that's everywhere.

For now, maybe a waitress, a job that pays a lot more and I work less hours, I'm doing babysitting on the side for more money, and I'm still looking around for a possible second job.

For the far future though, I'm not sure yet. I think being an animator would be cool, or a senator, being a dentist is still in the back of my head.

InTheFlesh

Enneagram
CFV
1. What is your type?
INFJ 9w8 so/sc/sx

I'm the busser at a Chinese restaurant. I clean tables, set tables and bring people food/water. I'm the only worker who speaks fluent English.

I like the time it gives me to zone-out mentally and think about issues I'm having outside of work

Feeling isolated by the language barrier

Playing music with my band or helping people :)

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
1. What is your type?
INTP

My primary 'job' is studying at the university. However, the job that actually brings the Money is my work as a translator and tour guide. I make my own schedule for the translating business, which is rather spiffing, if I do say so myself.

I work my own hours. It's relaxing and I love it.

Being a tour guide involves a lot of history, which I don't really approve of. And it's very repetitive, which I definitely don't approve of.

Translating, I would continue doing. However, I'd rather be writing or teaching (nothing below the age of 19, though) than trotting across town with a group of uninterested, silly tourists.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
A 5 question quiz, to help me move forward in life-research...

1. What is your type?

ENTP 3w4

Full time student currently (ie about ~60+ hours per week; 30 class hours, often well over 30 in homework)

Learning alot ^^ Specifically learning stuff I want to know how to do, which will lead towards question #5's answer.

It's ALOT of work... and the industry's not any lighter once I get into 'real' work. At least I'll be getting paid for something I enjoy doing though, but the work weeks we're looking at are often ~80 hour weeks...

Eventually I want to be working on game design team at Blizzard entertainment <3 However, that's a long way off. First I need to finish college, get a low end job as a modeler or something, move up slowly to level modeling, then level design, lead level designer, then into game design, and each of these steps will take several years to accomplish as the industry requires several years of experience and several key titles released to earn enough respect to get into the higher end stuff.

It'll be well worth it, someday, but it'll be a loooooooong road there XD

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. What is your type?
INTP
Entrepeneur, Family business, developping new projects (altho not lately, we're hitting off in a branch quite nicely atm.), also driving taxi and busses (touringcars/coaches every country calls them slightly different. >.> ).
Diversity
Sometimes shitty hours and long days, repetative administration work that feels unneccesary. Burocracy.
Hmm. I'm happy with what I've got here, since I really have not much to complain. Despite the fact I pull a lot of hours, I have a good future here and a flexible work environment. However, I'd love to be a computer programmer back in the 90's working on RPG's. Or nowadays working on a kind of RPG that doesn't really seem to exist!

Games in the style of broadness, plot, epicness, storyline and non-linearness. Todays single player rpg's are quite linear, they're fun, but nothing like the old school isometric games like Arcanum.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
1. What is your type?
IS-P

i am a Fire Investigator.
i investigate buildings after a fire to find the cause of the fire.

i get to choose my hours, i work alone/set my own pace and goals, i get to work outside a lot, i get to solve problems, i get to use my skills and experience. it is great, i love it.

paperwork! writing reports for everything. damn you!

nothing, my job is awesome!!

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
1. What is your type?
Blondes

I am the regional IT-security manager for the department for economical growth in my hometown. I too work as a chairman to the management of the IT-security Cluster in the ruhr-area.

Main task is project management of events, meetings and all sort of stuff with which you make people network more with each other. I do too consulting in mechanical engineering for my department.

I only work parttime tho, I am still doing my Master in Mechanical Engineering. Quite a lot of work clashing through this situation the most times.

It's an unique opportunity to get to know all sorts of people and business ideas they had. I too want to get there one day with an own idea but for now I am in the getting-to-know-phase of a lot of people. That maybe helps for the future to find new perspectives. Plus of course I work my own hours, which is indeed what I want to do always.

Working in administration is a bitch. My hometown is broke and cant spend much money, so if you want to spend money on a project you have to go a long way. Though its all about understanding the system, it stays a bitch.

Last month I wanted to own a parking lot, where people can park for money. This month I want to be a deep sea explorer or an archeologist in egypt

ygolo

My termites win
1. What is your type?
INTP

I design integrated circuits. The job title is "Component Design Engineer"
Before silicon database is "taped-out", there is some amount of design, then a lot of simulation to verify the design. After we get chips back, then there is a lot of testing and debug (often a lot of software and platform problems to debug).

Preparation for this includes a Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. I work with a lot of Ph.Ds however.

I like the concepts involved, the design work, test development, and the sleuthing and debugging of what is going on.

Most of the work, however, is just running tests and collecting data. But what I hate the most is the bureaucracy involved because I work in a large company.

I am not sure. I think at this point, my mindset has become more like a scientist than an engineer. I am somewhat sick of working on products. A lot of times, understanding of the situation is bypassed for expediency. I realize that will be there in science too, but I would imagine to a lesser extent.

I am studying Physics right now (just taking classes at the moment). That has been very enjoyable.

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
What is your type?

ESFJ

What do you do for a living? Job title, description of daily tasks...

Information, Advice and Guidance Worker. I help people gain the skills necessary to get back into employment. I meet with clients at several locations, find out what exactly they would like to do, put across the idea of workshops (CV, interview techniques, basic IT, confidence etc) mention short courses to gain valuable qualifications, if the client has anxieties i can refer them to breakthrough therapy which deals with hypnotherapy and EFT. Each client has a different need, so i have to be open to what is out there to help my client progress on their journey.

What do you like best about it?

Interacting with clients.

What do you like least about it?

Lack of help. Funding and childcare issues. Lack of flexibility. No petrol allowance. Crap pay. Awful database and paperwork which requires a lot of signatures.

What would you rather be doing for work?

I want to be a demolition derby racer :devil:
OK, i would like to be a retail or office manager, lol

thirtiesgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1. What is your type?
INFJ ...possibly INTJ... still on the fence with that one. Hehe. :rolli:

I'm a school counselor, currently working at a high school. Programming students' schedules (data entry, based on studying student grade and test score data); continuous checks of student credits, trying to ensure they're meeting their graduation requirements, and continuous meetings with students and parent phone calls to discuss meeting their credits; counseling students on academic, behavioral, social and emotional issues; student-parent-teacher conferences; fielding teacher and parent questions about student behavior and student schedules. I have an MA in educational counseling.

I like the variety of the job. Every day is an adventure because you never know what's going to happen. You can come in to work, intent on getting a bunch of grad checks (paperwork) done, but one of your students is suddenly having an issue, breaks up with their boyfriend, gets in a fight, runs away from home, threatens suicide, and you're the person they want to talk to. The school year has its ups and downs, too. The first 3 weeks are usually incredibly busy in the counseling office, as we're swamped with students trying to change their schedules because the classes are full, they don't like the teacher, they've had the class before, etc. Then things quiet down a little (but not by much) while we start working on grad checks with seniors, making sure they're making up all the credits they need to in their senior year so they graduate on time. Once that's done, things slow down a little more, but then pick up again once second semester starts with more class changes, more grad checks, more unexpected issues. Hopefully we get some downtime before the end of the year and graduation, the mad rush of last minute grad checks, making sure our seniors have done everything they need to earn their diplomas; last minute calls and letters to parents, letting them know their student won't graduate because they still have credits to make up. (Those kind of phone calls are the worst). And of course there's always those end of the year meetings with parents when they come in to talk to you and the school principal, mostly laying blame as to why you didn't get their kid to graduate. Yeah. ...Anyway, that's really part of question #4.

As stated above, parents who choose to blame the school for their kid slacking off and not graduating on time. Kids who repeat the same behavioral patterns over and over and choose not to learn how to be successful in high school until it's too late. The adults I work with are pretty interesting, too. I mean, teachers usually don't get into teaching unless they're a bit of a control freak with a pedantic streak, or so my experience has shown. I don't mean to offend any teachers here; I mean, hell, I was a teacher, too, and I'm aware of the reasons why I chose to do it. Teachers are usually highly intelligent, but can sometimes be rather narrow-minded, and that can make them a little hard to deal with at times. Administrators, too, and counselors. I certainly can't say teachers are the only ones with this issue. Most of the time, I prefer working with the kids to the adults at school. I mean, the kids are kids. They're immature, they're still learning, they're going to make mistakes. Adults, on the other hand... I guess I have a higher standard of expectation for them.

Writing and editing, preferably for a newspaper or magazine. I'm not about to change my whole life around in going after another career, though. I tried the writing and editing thing a little bit after college and was never successful with it. I still write a lot in my free time... I mean, look at how much I've blathered on here. :blush: I write occasional music reviews on Amazon; I have a personal blog... but other than that, I'm not pursuing it professionally. Maybe one day I will, but it's not a direction I'm heading in now.

thirtiesgirl

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
What do you do for a living? Job title, description of daily tasks...

Information, Advice and Guidance Worker. I help people gain the skills necessary to get back into employment. I meet with clients at several locations, find out what exactly they would like to do, put across the idea of workshops (CV, interview techniques, basic IT, confidence etc) mention short courses to gain valuable qualifications, if the client has anxieties i can refer them to breakthrough therapy which deals with hypnotherapy and EFT. Each client has a different need, so i have to be open to what is out there to help my client progress on their journey.

This sounds very interesting to me. I've always had an interest in career counseling and working with people on finding the next step in their career journey, or the 'perfect job' for them. It's something I do a little of in my job as a high school counselor, talking with students about their path after high school, doing some interest inventory surveys and figuring out where their interests lie. Obviously, you get the chance to go more in depth when working with adults, which is something that appeals to me. Can I ask how you got into this profession?

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
1. What is your Type
ENFP

2. What do you do for a living? Job title, description of daily tasks

A number of things. Firstly I'm a graduate student which entails long hours of working on projects and/or papers, attending seminar like classes and having discussions. Secondly I'm an adjunct instructor so I have all the duties that go along with teaching a full class including planning the course and grading projects. Thirdly, I work the odd freelance job. This includes but is not limited to: Shooting and editing weddings/music videos/commercials/random whatever, running tech for shows and presentations, dvd duplication, film to video transfer, running live video and sound for shows or presentations, etc. Lastly, I'm a practicing artist. I put this last because I'm pretty much in the "unknown and unheard of" category when it comes to art.

I'm not trapped in a 9 to 5 office job. I get to play with some pretty awesome film and video tech. I get to meet new people and make connections I normally wouldn't. I get to express myself creatively. Teaching is fun because I get to hone my own skills while teaching others and get to instill the creative spark into others.

The pay sucks. The bullshit that is the modern American University system where they'd rather hire adjuncts with crap pay and no benefits instead of offering more tenure track positions. Making it as an artist is basically a crap-shoot.

The same thing, but also saving the universe.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1. What is your type?
ENFP

2. What do you do for a living?
Nothing.

All the free time.

No cash to spend.

Dictator-for-life.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
1. What is your type? INTJ

2. What do you do for a living? Job title, description of daily tasks... I am a Registered Health Information Technician and a Certified Medical Coder. I do surgical coding for a large health system.

3. What do you like best about it? It's in the medical field but I don't have contact with patients. I can do this job for hundreds of different employers so there is nothing locking me to the place I work.

4. What do you like least about it? Not too many dislikes, other than doctors who think they are god. But I don't deal with them much either.

5. What would you rather be doing for work? Nothing. I make very good money and have great benefits. I work 30-32 hrs a week, I can also work from home some of the time. I wish I had looked into this line of work years ago.

Chaotic Harmony

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx
1. What is your type?
ESFJ
Helpdesk Technician - I listen to people whine about their computers, projectors, laptops, etc. all day long. Usually, I fix their problems....Sometimes I have someone else go deal with it. =D
I'm good at it.
It's boring.
Counseling... was considering a counseling position in a high school, but now I'm leaning towards counseling veterans... I'll have to get further into my degree before I decide for sure.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
1. What is your type?
ESFP
(Only for the next few days then I'm moving on!) Certified Nurses Assistant in a nursing home: Help people with activities of daily living/ feeding/ bathing/ toileting/ ambulating. Vital signs. Monitoring for changes in health status. Documentation. Certified level five hug and high five master. :)
Working closely with people/ Feel valued at work/ informal leader/ popularity within the organization/ I'm good at it.
It's boring, I'm under payed and overqualified, there is a lot of workplace politics, and some bossy mean and nasty residents who live there.
Currently seeking ICU job as a staff RN, or a job in cardiology or cardiac related hospital unit. Will be testing for my RN on July 9th.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
1. What is your type?
ENFP
Physics Research Assistant: I tend to solve physics problems in areas I previously knew little about, but now need to know everything about. Don't ask why.
Home time. The occasional challenge or impossible problem to solve. Lunchtime chats.
Uncreative plod work. Making sense of poorly written jargon. People finding the answers by reading journals and quoting equations rather than thinking about the problems. Minimal intellectual stimulation.
Starting a rock band. Writing magazine articles. Teaching something interesting and high level, while having an Indiana Jones like hobby on the side.