User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Anthropology

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Default Anthropology

I cant seem to get to photography school and i want to study a new profession. Anthropology seems like interesting career(atleast based on little that i know about it) and maybe i could combine photography with it, but i dont have much idea what kind of jobs do anthropologies usually have, what kind of subjects do the education have(note that im not going to a american university system) and basically any kind of information about the profession would be appreciated.

maybe someone in the forums is anthropologist or maybe someone knows other people who are anthropologists and could give me some insight about the profession

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

I'm an anthropology and communications (media production) major. Anthropology is similar to English in that it is an "open-ended" subject and has many applications. Plus, since it's the study of humans, there are more specific categories of anthropology. If you can think it, there's probably an anthropology for or of it. There's philosophical anthropology, anthropology of biology, psychiatric anthropology, ecological anthropology, and so on and so forth forever.

Personally, I want to go into documentary filmmaking. I'd say that's aso pretty relevant to you and could be a possible area of interest since you are into photography.

As far as being an "anthropologist" (in the traditional sense of the word) goes it's pretty much the same as it is for any academic/research field (physicist, biologist, zoologist, etc). You better be prepared to do A LOT of studying, be good at your craft, and be able to bring in some grant money. Also, many anthropological studies (archaeological digs, ethnographies, and so forth) tend to take years upon years. Many anthropologists devote their entire lives to certain peoples or areas of interest.

Here's some career info via the american anthropological association.
    Careers in Anthropology

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    maybe someone in the forums is anthropologist or maybe someone knows other people who are anthropologists and could give me some insight about the profession
    Derek Freeman, the great Australian anthropologist lived just around the corner from me. And he showed conclusively that the American anthropologist, Margaret Mead, perpetrated a global fraud in her book, "Coming of Age in Somoa".

I met Margaret Mead in Kings Cross, Sydney, Australia and she was wearing a long cloak of feathers with a head-dress and a long wooden staff. I listened to her but could immediately see Margaret was a concupiscent fraud.

And with immense American confidence Margaret was perpetuating the New Age fraud.

And when she suggested we might get to know each other in the biblical sense, I politely declined as I didn't want to join the long list of others who knew her.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Astounding and helpful insight as usual, Victor. Margaret Mead WOULD be one to predict the fraud of the New Age movement before it even reached full steam. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you exactly?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

there are four fields of anthropology--

Biology- the study and comparison of physical remains of people and sometimes animals. Forensics Anthropology is a sub-category (lots of bone measuring :X)
    Archaeology- Might be the best for photography. Study, analysis, comparison of tools, objects, and physical impacts left behind or being left behind by people.
    Linguistics- Study, analysis, and comparison of languages, their origins, similarities, and meanings. Most boring of the four branches, imo. don't go into this field.
    Socio-Cultural- The most abstract and conceptual of the branches. Also the most interesting in my opinion. The general of study of cultures (past + present), relations, diffusions, impacts, cause-effect stuff, migrations, trends. This branch really reaches deep into a scientist-consciousness.

Anthropology is incredibly broad and has a little bit of everything in it. I'd HIGHLY recommend it, INTP, and I think you should definitely make photography apart of it. Because that's what you love. Hope this helps a little bit..it's pretty general.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Astounding and helpful insight as usual, Victor. Margaret Mead WOULD be one to predict the fraud of the New Age movement before it even reached full steam. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you exactly?
    Just the other day my doctor told me I could live another twenty years, so I wonder, can you cope with the Loyal Opposition for another twenty years?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Victor, you remind me SO much of Glen Bateman from Stephen King's The Stand.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Just the other day my doctor told me I could live another twenty years, so I wonder, can you cope with the Loyal Opposition for another twenty years?
    Haha, of course; I got time to kill. They say iron sharpens iron. Can you keep from getting rusty?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Onewithsoul, be ye a student of the anthropological sciences?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    Onewithsoul, be ye a student of the anthropological sciences?
    Nah, I just read.
    I'm still in High School