User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Anthropology

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4/9

Ahh, well, education doesn't have to be formal.

As for you, Victor:

[YOUTUBE=MPfxtJ8SQgk]I WILL HAVE YOU![/YOUTUBE]

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by chooi View Post
    As for you, Victor:

[YOUTUBE=MPfxtJ8SQgk]I WILL HAVE YOU![/YOUTUBE]
    Ah, here we are driving forward looking in the rear vision mirror, while the noosphere rushes towards us through the windscreen.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    I cant seem to get to photography school and i want to study a new profession. Anthropology seems like interesting career(atleast based on little that i know about it) and maybe i could combine photography with it, but i dont have much idea what kind of jobs do anthropologies usually have, what kind of subjects do the education have(note that im not going to a american university system) and basically any kind of information about the profession would be appreciated.

maybe someone in the forums is anthropologist or maybe someone knows other people who are anthropologists and could give me some insight about the profession
    INTP, I am like 90% sure my anthropology professor is INTP. He told me NOT to go into anthropology unless you're REALLY passionate about it. This is because to get anywhere in anthropology you should plan for grad school and potentially a PhD program. So pretty much he told me that if you have doubts about anthropology don't go into the field. Supposedly, it's a very specific field so unless you are planning to go all the way, it's best to major/minor in something along else with anthropology.

Also, there are 4 branches of Anthropology.
    1. Physical/biological anthropology (usually w/ a hint of evolutionary thinking). I think Primatology is also a subbranch of this.
    2. Archaeology-
    3. Linguistics- supposedly a dying field
    4. Cultural Anthropology

My teacher kept telling us that if anyone wants to go into social sciences, they should get a minor in Statistics because it will put you ahead of most of your classmates in grad school since you have to analyze a lot of data in the future.

All of this is secondhand information from the perspective of someone who has been in the field for over 10 years (after schooling). I asked him because I was debating between going into Psychology or Anthropology.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I recently discovered evolutionary psychology/anthropology and I fell in love with it. It's the exact framework I've always used to think about or intuit things in my life and those of loved ones; to figure out why we are the way we are. I already have a master'd degree in something else (not too far off anthropology actually), but if I could go back to school full time, and had no children, I'd pursue my PhD in evolutionary anthropology and focus on maternal/child attachment and human relationships as it regards multiple relating. But I have read that if you don't pursue a PhD, there really is no point, because it's all about the research. Or you could become a therapist on top of majoring in anthropology.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    I recently discovered evolutionary psychology/anthropology and I fell in love with it. It's the exact framework I've always used to think about or intuit things in my life and those of loved ones; to figure out why we are the way we are. I already have a master'd degree in something else (not too far off anthropology actually), but if I could go back to school full time, and had no children, I'd pursue my PhD in evolutionary anthropology and focus on maternal/child attachment and human relationships as it regards multiple relating. But I have read that if you don't pursue a PhD, there really is no point, because it's all about the research. Or you could become a therapist on top of majoring in anthropology.
    OHHH OOHH! You should totally read the Red Queen by Matt Ridley, The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker, and Mothers and Others by Sarah Hrdy (I bet you will LOVE this book).

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    OHHH OOHH! You should totally read the Red Queen by Matt Ridley, The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker, and Mothers and Others by Sarah Hrdy (I bet you will LOVE this book).

Okay. Thanks! Interesting. I am reading a book by Susan Pinker right now......odd.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm a cultural anthro major. You could take amazing photos that capture different walks of life.