User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I think college also makes you aware of your specific interests. I realized recently that I may be interested in politics but I am not interested in EVERYTHING about politics. Government administration details are dull to me. I enjoy certain sections of my textbook a lot more than others and I think I was confused by it. I thought if you are into a 'topic' or 'field', you'd be interested in every aspect of it. Or even be able to tolerate it.
    Oooh no no no there's alot of different sub-jobs related to things; some yeu'll like, some yeu won't =3

For example, I'm learning 3d modeling and such, but there's a TON of different aspects to it... from storyboarding, to modeling, animation, lighting, etc etc etc. Lots of different sub-branches, and some I like (animation and modeling are fun), some are kinda alright but nothing special (lighting, texturing), and some flat out suck (storyboarding, UV'ing and rigging suck baaaaaaad).

Same goes for any career path; there will be some parts that suck, and some parts that are enjoyable. Different branches, will have different values of each they go into, but likely shall touch a little bit on each in the process.

So being a 'politician', is kind of vague... whot do yeu want to be a politician OF? Governor? Maybe in charge of fisheries? A senate member devoted to tax law reform? There's literally hundreds of jobs that count as 'politician', all under a big blanketed umbrella that's all encompassing. Yeu will dabble in a bit of each, but yeu may have a particular area yeu're strong in and appreciate more.

Find out which parts yeu enjoy the most, and which ones yeu hate the most, then figure out which job/career path will lend yeu the most yeu enjoy and the least yeu hate, (there'll always be some of each) and aim towards that goal =3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

^ Yeah, yeah. It's kinds of cliche for an INFP to say, but I have decided that I am not suited for government jobs, and more for the non-governmental organizations, esp. of the international reach sort. I am unstructured and unconventional and want to do more 'field, hands-on work' rather than office/phone/computer monitoring work. Yeah, I am excited to take this, my career, one step at a time, and see where it leads me. I don't feel the need to plan out the next ten years. I will think about opportunities as it comes and see where I can go with this, or where I will end up.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

SW, you bring attention to valid concerns, but what would you propose be done about it? PhD programs are based around the sort of learning you appear to have in mind, but it's the undergraduates' tuition payments that keep the universities in the black.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

i would have gotten more out of my university if had gone... at this age instead of 17.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

I have heard this before but never believed it. I like getting grades on my written pieces and seeing myself improve and be given specific tasks to accomplish since I am so, so unstructured.

I used to be an English major until I tried it and I grew extremely tired of the formal classes - some of it was irrelevant, some of it was inaccurate, dull, etc.

Now I am taking political science classes which has left me without interest once I am done with the classes because I am done and still figuring out the complete bombardment of information. Somehow college courses just takes the fun out of previous raw passion. Not to say that I will change my major, but something I heard but never believed.
    Like putting a bird in a cage. Whatever that means.

MBTI
    ISTP

From what I have seen, I think it's more that college accentuates just how little you know about your own interests and what they relate to pragmatically. Maybe it feels like your interests are being stomped on, but college ought to be a means to developing your interests to the point where they become marketable. Obviously there are classes that someone will not want to take and/or will not see how it relates to their intended destination, but they are still "required" by the academic world.

Understanding your interests is the key to finding the inspiration needed to grind through the less desirable parts of your journey. It's when you don't really understand your interests and motivations that you end up getting into something for the wrong reasons and it's only a matter of time until your passion dies.

This is somewhat counter intuitive because many people think that going from A->B directly is always the best or even fastest way to get there. They want to get through college and get on with a fufilling career. Once you realize that finding out what "B" is more of a challenge than getting there, you may see the value of getting off the beaten track once in a while.

Have you considered taking a break for a year and doing some work study or traveling abroad? I attended college in highschool and 1 year afterwards, but for nearly 4 years I've been working and trying everything I could get my hands on. Now that I'm returning to education I expect I will have a much better chance at fulfilling my reason for learning than all the people I know who went directly into college after highschool. I can definitely vouch for the value of stepping away for a while to learn about yourself and the world. I understand nobody wants to feel like they're behind, but I would actually say people miss more opportunities while doggedly grinding through college than taking time away to mix it up. Think tortoise and the hair.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    LoL

^ Yeah, yeah. It's kinds of cliche for an INFP to say, but I have decided that I am not suited for government jobs, and more for the non-governmental organizations, esp. of the international reach sort. I am unstructured and unconventional and want to do more 'field, hands-on work' rather than office/phone/computer monitoring work. Yeah, I am excited to take this, my career, one step at a time, and see where it leads me. I don't feel the need to plan out the next ten years. I will think about opportunities as it comes and see where I can go with this, or where I will end up.
    Look into grant writing. At any NP, this will be a vital skill. And generally, it's something they don't even mention in college. Pretty much every college "skill," I have found, has been useless in a real-world practical job search, except for writing. (And writing is highly under-valued in society anyway.)
    "How can I be, all I want to be,
    When all I want to do is strip away these stilled constraints
    And crush this charade, shred this sad, masquerade"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGeq5v7L3WM