Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

True.

Lasting_Pain

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    True.
    The show is over folks. We can all go home now. Please exit to your vehicles and have a safe trip home.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    That is the point, if you know that college does not suit your interests then why go to college and instead find a particular school that suits your wants and needs.
    Yes, the point is about your future career and income. I guess this path is so popular and is made out to be a necessity that I could not see any other way as a senior in high school. I will look for other options soon, however, most of my wants and needs in terms of education seem to be fulfilled through personal research and practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasting_Pain View Post
    Just because the college does not cater to your desires does not mean that the school is inadequate or boring.
    I guess it's not entirely inadequate, there are some subjects that are learned best and only from a teacher. The rest of it you can just google. College (as in the classes, not the "experience") is still for the most part, boring. It's a tried and true method for earning a degree that makes you look special, but otherwise it's dull and in need of a makeover.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I cried more in college than at any other point in my life before or after.
    me too. rumors that flew around in high school followed me there and flew just as goddamn high. you know...

MBTI
    INTJ

For me personally undergrad was far from boring and I absolutely love grad school accept for the extremely long hours. Overall I think the value taken from the college experience depends on the individual person and what your interests are.

There are definitely too many people going to college today just because they think it's something they should do to get a better job. It's really not that useful to go to college for a better job when there are trade schools that you can attend and graduate with the ability to make more money than you could make leaving college with some of the liberal arts degrees.

I went to college knowing exactly what I wanted to major in and I loved and still love every bit of being active in those fields. If you aren't going to college to study something you love then it might be a waste of time for you. Sometimes people change their minds too and there isn't anything wrong with that, but in my opinion if you're going to college and you're bored you might want to reevaluate why you're there and either change your major or leave... just my two-cents.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I have heard this before but never believed it. I like getting grades on my written pieces and seeing myself improve and be given specific tasks to accomplish since I am so, so unstructured.

I used to be an English major until I tried it and I grew extremely tired of the formal classes - some of it was irrelevant, some of it was inaccurate, dull, etc.

Now I am taking political science classes which has left me without interest once I am done with the classes because I am done and still figuring out the complete bombardment of information. Somehow college courses just takes the fun out of previous raw passion. Not to say that I will change my major, but something I heard but never believed.
    Oh, and another thing... you will never have more liesure time in your life than you do right now, while you're in college. That is, not until you retire, and maybe not even then.

Yeah, I didn't believe it either, but it's true.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

If you want to learn about all sorts of random things, that's what the internet and libraries are for.

College is intended to prepare you for a job, in general. An English degree, probably not as much, but...yeah. If you don't like college, you'll probably not like the job it's preparing you for, either.
    -end of thread-

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    If you want to learn about all sorts of random things, that's what the internet and libraries are for.

College is intended to prepare you for a job, in general.
    Yeah, I think my parents drilled it into our heads pretty strongly that college is for learning a particular skill set to better qualify you for a job. I guess I internalized it enough that I didn't really get the chance to feel idealistic about it.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I could tell that the poster was an INFP just by the title.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

^ wow that's some skill.