User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best job for an ISFJ

Default Best job for an ISFJ

Searching for my husband. He's got a degree in business (didn't like business much) and is currently a teacher, wondering if he should switch subjects or go into admin or ed. diagnostician or something else totally. Any happy ISFJ (you or someone you know) what to share about their perfect job?

By the way I'm a stay at home mom who earns a bit on the side, so the job has to support a family (though we are thrifty and don't need a whole lot.)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Running in the Meadow; 05-17-2010 at 06:10 PM.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Hello!?

This is the perfect ISFJ job:

Would that be more of an ISTJ?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Careers for ISFJ Personality Types

* Interior Decorators
    * Designers
    * Nurses
    * Administrators and Managers
    * Administrative Assistants
    * Child Care / Early Childhood Development
    * Social Work / Counselors
    * Paralegals
    * Clergy / Religious Workers
    * Office Managers
    * Shopkeepers
    * Bookkeepers
    * Home Economics

i would add to that pastry chef
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Careers for ISFJ Personality Types

* Interior Decorators
    * Designers
    * Nurses
    * Administrators and Managers
    * Administrative Assistants
    * Child Care / Early Childhood Development
    * Social Work / Counselors
    * Paralegals
    * Clergy / Religious Workers
    * Office Managers
    * Shopkeepers
    * Bookkeepers
    * Home Economics

i would add to that pastry chef
    Don't you think that ISFJ seems to have a lot of jobs in it's list that are better suited to (or at least traditionally held by) women? Or is it just me? I mean my dh would never be an interior designer and isn't interested in being a secretary or a child care worker. He's worked at a church. Social work doesn't pay enough. There just don't seem to be many good options for him.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

^^ right, i would think so.

why does he want to change? that's a good place to start i guess..more money??...need something more challenging? not using what he feels are his strengths or what?
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4, 7
    Socionics
    IEE

Has he thought about accounting? His degree in business might help to his advantage.. Or does he want to steer clear of the business world and drift into another field of occupations?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so

Yeah, I was going to ask specifically what he didn't like about business. 'Business' is such a giant descriptor... and many business degrees tend to be pretty generic anyway. Lots and lots and lots of options within 'business' - some he would no doubt loathe, others that would probably be much more suited for him.

My ISFJ father ended up working for the same company his entire life; he had a handful of various jobs/'careers' over his 30+ years, some early on that I think he made do with, others mid-career that I'm guessing weren't at all his ideal but he stuck with them because of our family, and late in life, his final 12 or so yrs of employment, he really adored his work -- he ended up as an economic analyst for the oilseed (soybean) market.

One of my good friends/former coworkers is an ISFJ and is a pretty successful Systems/QA Analyst (systems testing). Our team of QA analysts has a wide range of personality types - ISFJ, a few INFJ's, an INTJ, an IxTJ, an ISTJ, an ISTP, a few ISFP's, a few ESFJ's... all bring different strengths to the table. With the ISFJ, very attuned to detail, very dependable and organized, team player, and good analytical skills.

Just a few alternatives in the business world, outside of the typical xxFJ careers you find on personality websites. Of course with any career change it's a matter of getting your foot in the door/experience.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints

For the most part, business doesn't feel purposeful to him. Plus, we don't want to move to a big city, so some business ops are limited by that. He did not like accounting in college.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so

Well if he's not interested in business in the generic sense, and the environment that comes with it, then there really are only a handful of other broad categories, many of which have been mentioned. Education, health care, services (restaurant/entertainment/hotels), trades (electrician, construction, etc), government..... but even within those sectors (government, for example), a bulk of the jobs will be business-related. And, each of those too also have needs for more creative/artistic positions - graphic design, marketing, etc.

Also, if pay rate is a factor as to why things like social work don't work, options are going to be limited. Business/sales are typical avenues for someone if they're just wanting & needing the money. Other higher-earning positions would entail going back to school, probably -- law, medicine, engineering and other technical fields.... Sounds like he'll need to do some soul-searching. Maybe he could also check out a book called 'Now, Discover Your Strengths' - it's very much geared towards utilizing your strengths in career, and honing in on that. Also the 'What Color is your Parachute' book: he might find after going through the exercises that there are business-related careers he could find purposeful, if the people he worked with, the 'cause' of the business, etc, were to his liking. Or, he might discover some brand new possibilities that he hadn't entertained before.

I relate 100% to him desiring a purposeful job, but many/most of the truly purposeful jobs out there won't have a stellar income stream, just due to the very nature of what they are and how they are valued/prioritized in society.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints