User Tag List

12 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Red face because I'm inept...

I've had a sh!t time looking for a job... I'm too underexperienced and overeducated for everything and I feel like I've spent days on end filling out applications, turning in resumes and talking to people without any luck

After throwing a minor tantrum today over my frustration with the search to my poor patient ISTJ, I went to wash dishes and calm down a bit by doing something routine and horrible... and while washing dishes something occurred to me...

I live in a city with a large and growing Hispanic population and I live in the middle of Immigrantville basically- especially Little Mexico.

Also, we have no citizenship classes that are easily accessable to most immigrants

Even more interestingly, I'm actually educated in all of the elements necissary for them... including having taught ESL in the past... (I even looked up the qualifications for citizenship class teachers in other locations and I have the appropriate education and experiences!)

There's a niche available that I could partially fill... except I don't even know where to start with that The man told me to put an add on craigslist and put up some adds in the hispanic grociery stores and such... but I don't even have a clue how to get started on all of this!

Anyone have any suggestions, by any chance?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

IDK much at all about Spanish communities, but are they by chance very family-oriented? You could maximize your networks and then ask them to spread the word through their family social networks.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yeah I'm inept too. Still stucks trying to find a job. Waaa.

Oh wait, this thread isn't about whining, sorry :P

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

whining is fine!

and yeah... I'm hoping if I get a few people I can do something sneaky, like offer them a discount for each additional person they bring
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

For Craig's List, just type up something witty an charming about what you're offering (you can do witty and charming right? ). For hanging the adds get an artistic friend to draw something up for you. Do you know where you're target customers hang out the most?
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I know my way around Little Mexico... I shop there quite often

and it's easier to charm people in person than in print

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I know my way around Little Mexico... I shop there quite often

and it's easier to charm people in person than in print
    I guess it's up to getting a friend to help out with the posters and talk to some people you already know that your offering the classes. The discounts on extra people is a good way to draw people. Also when you do the classes make sure you are awesome (I'm sure you can handle this part ).

Where are you thinking of doing the classes? Is your living room ok, or are you going to have to look into alternate venues?
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I'm thinking that if there's quite a few people move it to the library down the street- we have a lot of materials in Spanish there as well... along with practice citizenship tests

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Market to potential clients at Hispanic Churches.
    They are the ultimate of all family congregations.

The churches will even give you a break on using their conference rooms/classrooms to run the citizenshiop classes in, if you can make it cheaper for their parishoners than it would cost if the parishoners would buy the class services in the common market. A true win/win, you get to run your business on the cheap and have access to an entire flock of potential clients in one fell swoop, all with very little marketing costs.

When I first move back to Florida, I had no job. I started teaching Microsoft Windows (98!), Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Access classes at a local computer shop. They had a classroom, I wroteh the classroom manuals from scratch, and I split the tuition with them 50/50. In one day I typically made $400-$800, as the classes were $200 for an 8 hour day, and there were 4-8 students per class. I LOVED IT. It was a great entrepeneurial experience, and if I didn't land a job selling corporate software I would have stayed with it.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTP

The easiest way to find a job is to open yourself to the idea of moving. By casting your net wider, you're more likely to turn up opportunities. Also, economic opportunities differ greatly from place to place. Some places specialize in certain industries and have different living standards, etc. The worst thing you can do is limit yourself to one geographic locality.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."