123 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default You can't spell entrepreneur without ENTP

This is my new thread for all my buisness ideas/schemes.

Lemme start by apologizing for jumping back into the thread oh so quietly, but I had an idea come to me in class and had to ask some more people. Okay, a little vague, I gotcha.

So, my newest scheme arose from me having to do a project in order to graduate. Typing all of my school led to being an entrepreneur and getting away with selling stuff which lead to what to sell, like candy (I did that, and made some money hehehehe) and figured MASSAGES make uber good money.

SO! I decided, hey, my school would hate for me to sell massages, because I could easily charge ten dollah.

So I got to thinking.

And thinking.

And thinking.

AND FINALLY Edison lit the candle of creativity in my head (not a light bulb, glass shatters too frequently in my head from bouncing ideas. the candle is in plexiglass, so it won't go out) and decided I want to own my OWN LOCAL BUSINESS FOR MASSAGE (and only massage).

I want to know if this is possible! I know, I need a business license and pay rent for a small building, but what other steps would I need to take?

(I am sixteen, so take that into account)

Thanks!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

FigerPuppet

Questions that pop up just from reading your original post:

How large is your city?
    Can you actually massage? Why is your massage better than that of others?
    What is your business plan? If I gave you the money that you need to set up the business - and only set it up - what would you then do?
    How are you going to make this a scalable business and increase your revenue?

I think you should spend the time up until your 18th. birthday doing market research ("Will people actually pay for this?", "How much will they pay?"), getting contacts inside local marketing outlets ("How will I make my existence known?") and developing the idea further.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I like your thread title.

Seated massage - clothes on, you can take a certification for it that's not lengthy or onerous:

For example, here's a company that does it: On-Site Corporate Chair Massage

You take your seated massage chair around to offices etc. and give mini-stress relievers.

Seated Massage Therapy Certification Course

An American Massage Therapy Association poll of its members revealed that seated massage represents the largest untapped area of the massage market. Atlanta School of Massage has included a comprehensive certification course that teaches you to integrate the skills you learn throughout the program into a seated massage routine. Seated massage is portable and allows you to work in a wide array of public settings:

Trade Shows
    Salons
    Airports
    Malls
    Outdoor Festivals
    Corporate Offices
    Seated massage gives you the opportunity to revisit techniques previously mastered and explores new ways to apply them. It provides you with access to clients who do not receive table massage and expands your ability to earn money. Atlanta School of Massage teaches you how to tap into the corporate market. A seated massage contract with a business, rather than an individual, can provide you with a steady stream of clients to bolster your revenue.
    You have to find out what the rules are for your state as far as certifications / touching people goes ... other than that, the chair is portable and you can make some extra coin just about anywhere. Plus, you may need or want insurance to protect yourself from liability.

Plus, no hassle with office space, no weirdos who think you do other "special" massages ...

When my kids were small I considered it myself due to the flexibility of working hours.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

^ thanks, I like my title too!

I was thinking more like hand massages though. Easier for me. I have been doing it for years and years, but am not like, certified.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Questions that pop up just from reading your original post:

How large is your city?
    Not very large.

[quote]Can you actually massage? Why is your massage better than that of others?[quote]

I have been massaging for 9 years (since I was in the 2nd grade) so I have developed it. To add to it, I have a good understanding of the human body, know what to do to relax it, make it feel good, relieve tension, etc. And I guess my massage is better than others because A. I know what I am doing, and have always been told I am positively GREAT at it and B. they are cheaper than that of a normal massage.

What is your business plan? If I gave you the money that you need to set up the business - and only set it up - what would you then do?
    1. Try it out for a month, renting the place. Set it up nicely, advertise directly outside of the small rented area, and take in the customers by appointment.

How are you going to make this a scalable business and increase your revenue?
    I don't really want to expand, I just pretty much want some quick money for a short period of time (a year or so). Increasing revenue? I am not looking to make this long term.

I think you should spend the time up until your 18th. birthday doing market research ("Will people actually pay for this?", "How much will they pay?"), getting contacts inside local marketing outlets ("How will I make my existence known?") and developing the idea further.
    I am going to be leaving for college by then. I am graduating a year early, and so basically have this summer/all of my senior year/that summer to do this. I don't need my existence to be known on a grand scale, because EVERYONE would be able to see this in the size of this city.

I have done research. The prices I have in mind are reasonable, considering my skill level. People would definitely pay up.

By the hour plan:

Foot: $20
    Neck/shoulders: $35
    Full back: $45
    Mostly full body: undetermined

I think the prices have some adjusting to do, but that is roughly it.

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

^ A seated massage IS a hand massage ... you don't have to have the same certifications as a massage therapist to offer it.

If you think you can just massage people, with no certifications, and with no insurance, you are asking for trouble ...

I'm not sure why you blew past my post, but I would recommend you check out the regulations of your state.

Good luck.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Sorry I blew past it, I tend to scan posts, and pick out what I see, so I apologize. I know, that makes me somewhat of an idiot for asking and getting distracted!

Anyway, here I go to be more thorough

*goes and be's more thorough*

OKAY! Now that I have read, I know what you mean about 'liability'. I don't understand why all the fuss over certification if I can just do it. But now it is time to check the regulations!

Thank you very much

Oh yeah, and I misread about the chair. I see chair and massage and put it together into 'chairmassage' lol
    However, it is a good idea! If I could drive...and it isn't as stable. But I like the idea of random money like that.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

If that is the sort of work you'd really like, then be sure to get a license. I've known several massage therapists, and the money is not great either. Also your hands can get seriously worked over after a day's work. The massage therapists I know try to be very careful about not wearing out their hands.

Basically it is not a job you do to get rich or have security. But if that is what you enjoy then go for it. Also I guess you could get rich if you had a really original spin that met an unneglected need. Like maybe there is a huge untapped need for foot massage or something. Other than that is basically for people who really enjoy that type of work.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Socionics
    ENFP

Being an F, I'll obvious flame your ideas. But really, nice thread title !

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

^ Lol, I dunno if I need encouragement Then again, I am starting to lose interest in my idea...it woudl take to much work, and I dunno if it is worth the effort, for various reasons listed below

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    If that is the sort of work you'd really like, then be sure to get a license. I've known several massage therapists, and the money is not great either. Also your hands can get seriously worked over after a day's work. The massage therapists I know try to be very careful about not wearing out their hands.

Basically it is not a job you do to get rich or have security. But if that is what you enjoy then go for it. Also I guess you could get rich if you had a really original spin that met an unneglected need. Like maybe there is a huge untapped need for foot massage or something. Other than that is basically for people who really enjoy that type of work.
    :headdesk: you are right! I am not interested in it enough to carry it out! I need some new money making scheme. Maybe I could just offer dollar shoulder massages around school, heh heh heh

As far as wearing out my hands, that doesn't really happen. I massaged someone for 4 hours in a row once, and my hands were fine

I need to contemplate some new scheme. I will be back to this later thread later with something new.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    I need to contemplate some new scheme. I will be back to this later thread later with something new.
    Now that is the ENTP spirit!

I would also suggest finding out the type of work you really do like. Once you get to that point you can use your ENTP talents to turn it into a fortune.

Here are a couple of resources that I found helpful. This first one tells you what types of careers fit your personality. (There is a small fee for taking the test.)
    Personality & Career Test, Career Advice & Information, The Career Key™

Here is a book that assesses what your raw talents are, so that you know the type of activities that will energize you. (Be sure to buy a new version so you can take the online assessment.)
    Amazon.com: Now, Discover Your Strengths (9780743201148): Marcus Buckingham, Donald O. Clifton: Books
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com