User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    It's shifting more and more towards neuroscience; it doesn't really aim to answer philosophical questions specifically. Instead it appears to focus more on seeking the likehood of behaviour, and whether there is any significant relationship between several variables.
    Hey Kai, have you studied any neuroscience or upper year biochemistry outside of psychology yet?

Not to assert the claim that "this is what I used to think before I knew more" (I have no intent to belittle your awesome brain and mind)... but this was basically my view until I got to upper year biology and biochemistry and realized how much of it was sketchy neuroscience. IME, psychology overreaches genetic and biological conclusions to analyze behavior. If they only took it into account, it wouldn't be a big deal.

But like Babylon says, don't underestimate psychology's inferiority complex mixed with their desire to compete for science funding. Babylon and I have both taken a bit of science to colour our understanding of psychological neuroscience, and it seems we agree that psychology stretches the data far too thin and makes claims where it should be philosophizing. It's disconcerting to see "truth" claimed so boldly when it isn't backed up as much as it is presented, which is why I ducked out.

I don't mean to say there's not value in studying psychology. I do think there is. I technically earned a degree in psychology. It just wasn't what I thought it would be (I thought it would be mapping the terrain between science and philosophy).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Yeah, I've read a lot of bio/neuro/language research. If that's what you want, don't go via the psychology route. Go biochemistry or neurobiology or speech language development (bearing in mind Chomsky/Pinker/etc. that language is what separates humans from animals and thus is the core route to knowing our human condition), or enter into the humanities and philosophize neurological concepts and movements like me.
    You've all been extremely helpful. If you've more time and inclination, I'd love to hear you elaborate on the bolded, where you can go with this.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

I can't say I have looked into neuroscience in depth so wouldn't have a clue about how detailed and accurate the subject matter really is. I'm more into the social-cognitive explanations of things, than biological explanation of behaviour...

It really is hard to underestimate how attachment to the scientific method the degree seems to be since I always find myself thinking "What the..." when some behaviourist lecturer goes on about how much she sees very little value in philosophy/non-experimental psychology.

I'm end up wondering to myself: Is the qualatitive stuff within psychology basically the more philosophical aspect of psychology? It appears to be much more open to various answers.

I've been in other science lecturers, but it's only within psychology, that we actually have lecturers about how psychology is a science and that it follows the scientific method. It tries so hard... it's ridiculous. The time is probably better spent on doing research than trying to establish it's credibility. =/

Oh well it's all good. Psychology still works for me, since I'd be focusing on the practical area of the field. Namely the educational/developmental route with cognition. Hoping this area won't get side tracked into the biological explanations of such thing since I can't say I'm the greatest fan of biology itself. Then again these are just old memories of biology at Grade 10/11 level.

If you have your undergrad degree and have taken a class on conducting research, then I would go to your closest university, find a professor conducting research in an area that you are interested in and contact them to see if you can help with their experiments. You’ll gain valuable experience plus references for graduate school applications. My I/O professor gave us this tip on our last day of class. She said that when they are looking at graduate school applications they look for research experience and the strength of your references. Like others have said clinical psych. is very competitive, psychoanalysis seems to be gaining in popularity again so you might be able to find some opportunities in that area. Psychology is like fashion; a theory that was once in vogue is likely to be in vogue again.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Thanks so much for all your insight, Everyone. I think I've found what I'm interested in.

Evolutionary Psychology under an Evolutionary Anthropology degree. I'm thinking about applying to Washington State University and getting a second bachelor's degree in anthropology, then going from there. I think I can do it mostly as distance learning for now.

Evolutionary Psychology, seeking the meaning behind behavior of all kinds is exactly what I'm about. It's what I think about every day, and what I observe in people. I am particularly interested in child rearing practices and human relationships, within an evolutionary context. Discovering there was such a thing as evolutionary psychology was just such an exciting discovery for me--one of those Aha! moments.

Anyone with any knowledge of this? I'd like to also get some sort of psych certification to teach baby/parenting classes perhaps, but my main focus is just getting some anthropology courses under my belt since I've never had any of those........
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com