User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Default Phone anxieties, dislikes calling and avoids doing so.

Does anyone else have phone anxieties.
    What strategies are there to cope with this.

Job related.

Okay so I've started a new job. Its actually a charity based retail store where I get to sort and sell clothes, manchester, furniture, bric a brac and such. To my dismay its casual and I have to make up the hours by ringing around various stores to get days to work.

Its not fixed like my previous employment where I was selling bbq's, heaters and hot water systems and fire places. Boss was only too happy to see me go because I lacked the initiative to sell and be what he hoped for, and so did I, charismatic, flirtatious and charming and sell. In another life yes definitely its there, when my health gets back, you know the gift of the gab and such. When I was a toddler I had this ability, I swear I could sell you the shirt off your back, how times change. The entire staff was telling me by the end of it that retail just isn't my cup of tea, go find working as a store person somewhere instead. If only I had the luxury of time, now that I am in a flat. I thought this new job would be great but here's the rub.

The first week of induction was fine and very well, I got to know friends, albeit I disliked that the social group happened to be around a table outside that was designated for the smokers area, me being the one of the few who didn't smoke, made things difficult.

The second week was fine too sort of. I got to a local store, the staff were great. And a senior trips on the floor and cuts his nose, so bad it doesn't stop bleeding for half an hour. At least I'm serving the customers and earning money for the store, making the place look tidy and admin side too. I felt relaxed here.

Then the next day I had to go to a different store that was almost an hours drive away, not happy. This store was apparently the Rolls Royce of stores, militant, precise, orderly, organized and won awards for it. I disliked this store muchly. For goodness sakes locking the till after every transaction is a bit much. Colour coding everything exactly to the letter is way out there. OMG they even had all the coat hangers in order, from regular, clip ons, to children etc and rubber bands round the price tags. It was too much, I was half thinking OMG, to have even a piece of fluff out of place might be a travesty.

Anyway everything went well until the last count where we were out by $20, and the finger was pointed at me as being the newb that I made the mistake. But here's the thing, nothing like it has happened before, which sucks on the second day after the induction.

Then I go back to the local store, with such relief. I try to do extra good works. I got a call and forgot to say the store spiel and greeting and whoever it was told the manager who told me and ever since she started picking up the phone. I told the manager your store is fun, its got a warm vibe and energy and you'll do good, you actually do as good as the other store that is bigger. And the takings were indeed very good, even the manager was surprised.

Well that was last week. This week...I got a call from two stores wanting me to work after Anzac day holiday, I had to turn down one.

There are aprox 45 stores across Perth. I can easily get to about 15 stores. I'm expecting calls like the last and nothing. During induction they said go to the stores and introduce yourself so they see me. I got into a bit of funk at the moment and didn't do it. I have been wanting to call those stores to ask if there is anything available but haven't, social anxiety I guess. I shouldn't have to be doing this all the time anyway.

At the end of the day I've started applying for other jobs. At this rate I'll start using my credit in a month, and selling my car in another month to cover my flat if I don't earn, its stressing me out.

And at a time when I have my space and freedom again, to have this kind of instability bites, but then I should be used to it, life time of it really.

I understand where my phone anxieties come from really, family business, father was territorial and only person who used the phone and I got high anxiety after, afraid to call places, while using my mobile is too expensive. I need to stop being afraid of the phone now, its ridiculous.

Venting and wanting to know how to get over phone anxieties.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I get almost sick to my stomach at the thought of making most phone calls. I've really hated that part of jobs before and tended to put it off. On a personal level, I rarely call anyone outside of my household. I don't mind so much when people call me, I just don't like calling people.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

I don't like that noone can hear the person you're talking to. I wonder if people would find it easier if calls were always on loudspeaker??
    5 3 9

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

For me, I really hate the idea of basically bursting in on someone without a chance to observe whether or not it's a good time for them. At least that's part of it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I hated doing this at a past job, too. I had to kind of compartmentalize myself for part of the day, and pretend to be someone else. Use your imagination to act/role play, and don't be yourself while you're calling. It helps.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I was a receptionist for 5 months, and answering phones was pretty much all I did. I have huge anxiety about talking to people over the phone, so the job was torture to me. I'd panic and have to turn the phone over to one of the secretaries (who always had my back) at those times. I hated it, but I needed the job so I just stuck with it until it was time for me to move.

Ugh, but really, I don't like talking on the phone period. Lets talk in person or through the computer or something, but please no phone calls. I have no idea why I have this issue, but it's a pain in the butt.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    ISTP

I find phone calls particularly easy. I had to answer incoming calls from customers at some office for 4 months. Even when they're really angry, it's easy to collect your cool and speak through your mind reasonably and objectively as you don't have to deal with their body language.
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yeah I also have this problem, I don't know why. I'm totally fine with talking to anybody in person, but I tend to freeze on the phone, I think it's because I can't read their body language.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Phone Freaks

I love the telephone.

I loved it so much I became a phone freak.

And I used the blue box to link up with phone freaks all over the world.

And we even produces our own magazine called, "Telephone Art".

And I vividly remember one conference call I made from the Medical School at the University of New South Wales where we linked up twenty-two phone freaks from all over the world - and it worked.

And of course we had our philosopher, Marshall McLuhan, who put our telephone art into a philosophical context.

But today phone freakery has morphed into the internet and here I am speaking to all of you - and Marshall McLuhan has become the patron saint of the internet.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Is your phone axiety related to insecurity? Do you feel you lack knowledge for the job in some way, so feel you can't adequately answer questions?

I once worked at Sam Ash (big music instrument store in NYC). I wanted to work in the drum shop, but got a job selling keyboards, which I knew little about, and felt no connection to...plus I hated the sales 'schtick'. I flew by the seat of my pants all the time, and it was unnerving to say the least... I worked there long enough to get the employee discount, bought a few things, then quit. I was glad it was over.