User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default Expert on School Bullying and Group Mobbing On Phoebe Prince Case

This is a good article, a bullying expert who gave a informational talk on how to prevent bullying at that very school gives her opinion on what was done wrong in Phoebe's case.: Bullying raises questions about schools' vigilance | Latest National Headlines | News fr...

Barbara Coloroso, a nationally known anti-bullying consultant, had been contacted by South Hadley school officials months before Phoebe's death, after a young boy in nearby Springfield killed himself. She spent a day there in September, training teachers and administrators on how to recognize and deal with bullying.

Coloroso said school officials made mistakes by failing to stop the bullying and, after Phoebe hanged herself, by allowing at least some of the students involved to continue to attend classes and a school dance with no visible signs of discipline.

"The questions to ask are: Did they follow their own rules and did they keep Phoebe safe? Obviously not. And, did they deal effectively with the bullies? Obviously not," Coloroso told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Authorities say Prince, who had recently emigrated from Ireland, endured months of verbal assaults and threats after she briefly dated a popular boy. She was harassed mostly in school, but also on Facebook and through other electronic forms.

Read more: Bullying raises questions about schools' vigilance | Latest National Headlines | News fr...

Read more: Bullying raises questions about schools' vigilance | Latest National Headlines | News fr...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Bullying is why I learned how to put fist to face. Bullies seem to get scared of you after the first time you break them. Even more so after you break them a second time along side their freashly busted up friends. No mercy, just pain. Try not to enjoy it too much though; you want to educate, not get revenge.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

heart on fire

Yes, yes, I understand, might makes right, a simple answer to a complex problem. But one generally cannot take up fists to a whole group, what then?

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Yes, yes, I understand, might makes right, a simple answer to a complex problem. But one generally cannot take up fists to a whole group, what then?
    I tend to see bullying as a more one on one type of thing..

This sounds more like pack mentality ..which is a whole differnt question.
    In Canada these "swarmings" are on the rise..
    What is driving to the youth of today to gang fuck one person?
    Who is leading and why are others following?

All I can ascertain is that it is very cowardly ..

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    I tend to see bullying as a more one on one type of thing..

This sounds more like pack mentality ..which is a whole differnt question.
    In Canada these "swarmings" are on the rise..
    What is driving to the youth of today to gang fuck one person?
    Who is leading and why are others following?

All I can ascertain is that it is very cowardly ..
    What happened to Prince is called group mobbing. It falls under the heading of school bullying and harassment.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    What happened to Prince is called group mobbing. It falls under the heading of school bullying and harassment.
    School is the hub of youths social lives .. so it makes sense that these things are born there.
    The semantics are secondary.
    I am asking how bullying went from a one on one situation to a gang activity.

I am also appalled at how this school in particular and schools in general bury their heads in the sand and don't take this stuff seriously enough.
    It's negligence for sure.. but where does culpability begin and end?
    Something is happening culturally.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't think the swarming thing is new. And it's definitely a form of bullying. One idea that keeps bullying going is the idea that bullies are outwardly, physically aggressive and easily identifiable, and hated by all the other kids. My daughter's school is taking part in a pilot anti-bullying program that addresses this. Every child, even the "good" kids, can participate in bullying, even if only by being a bystander out of fear of backlash or rejection. They are trying to create a culture in which kids feel comfortable and supported being brave by standing up to bullies (by speaking up or alerting adults). Even in elementary school it seems like they are going against a pretty strong current of child group behavior.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    School is the hub of youths social lives .. so it makes sense that these things are born there.
    The semantics are secondary.
    I am asking how bullying went from a one on one situation to a gang activity.

I am also appalled at how this school in particular and schools in general bury their heads in the sand and don't take this stuff seriously enough.
    It's negligence for sure.. but where does culpability begin and end?
    Something is happening culturally.
    This isn't anything new. It went on when I was in school, I am 41 now so do the math. I experienced it first hand, I was a target starting in the fifth grade. I was one of six targets in my grade. My husband said there was a girl in his middle school that got mobbed (he's 53, do the math). My best friend remembers a group of four girls being mobbed at her junior high. The only thing that is happening is awareness and a desire to change things. I experienced some teachers who either joined in or supported the behavior.

It is not semantics to be clear about what one is talking about.

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't think the swarming thing is new. And it's definitely a form of bullying. One idea that keeps bullying going is the idea that bullies are outwardly, physically aggressive and easily identifiable, and hated by all the other kids. My daughter's school is taking part in a pilot anti-bullying program that addresses this. Every child, even the "good" kids, can participate in bullying, even if only by being a bystander out of fear of backlash or rejection. They are trying to create a culture in which kids feel comfortable and supported being brave by standing up to bullies (by speaking up or alerting adults). Even in elementary school it seems like they are going against a pretty strong current of child group behavior.
    Yes, this myth is perpetuated by a bunch of fuckin cowards who don't want to admit they bullied anyone back in the day. I did it, and one of those kids killed himself. That blood is on me.

The school system doesn't help much either, because when you try to fight back against the bullies, they punish everyone equally. I know, I've been through that. The only good thing about such a policy is to teach the kids through practice that life really is unfair and that despite the brainwash bullshit they teach in civics classes, it's really all about who has power. Thrasymachus had it right.

MBTI
    INFP

Speaking from experience, the hardest kind of bully to beat is the popular bully. These bullies are well liked, and can make others dislike you. Then you have the mob mentality going. But every mob needs somebody to work them up, and thats the bully's job.