User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Default Balancing work and play?

Does anyone have any tips on how to do this effectively? I seem to be all work or all play, no in between or balance. I go stretches of time where all I'm doing is working, working, working and being all serious business and stuff and I don't get any playtime. Of course, I feel burned out after this and can't wait until I get some free time, and then when I do, I fully immerse myself into fun things and forget all about work until I'm like "Holy crap, I'm so behind on work! Time to rush to catch up!" This is not good. I just want to learn how to balance the two like a normal person does! Any advice would be appreciated.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Does a normal person achieve balance??? I don't hear people commenting about that too often...

Many people ahve made or agreed with comments ot the affect of "its like a switch, and you need to be able to throw that switch. when work is over, they aren't paying you to be at home and still worried about work stuff. you've gotta let it go. the sooner you can learn that, the better off you will be."

Play? Does not compute! LOL! I can't seem to do it anymore unless there's an objective (like a game/sport/excursion). My poor children.

sammy

Hmm, I get into trouble because of this swinging that you describe.

Maybe the impending doom of not doing that work you put off is the kind of push you need after some fun to jumpstart you back into the "correct" mindset to work efficiently in all other times.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Personally, I play while I work, and I work while I play... if that makes sense.

MBTI
    ISTP

Seems like the real problem here is time management, and it's a very normal thing for people to struggle with. Figure out how much time you need each day to reach your work goals and how much and how often you need playtime then make a schedule. After that, all you have to do is keep a closer eye on the clock and stick to your intended schedule.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Aramis View Post
    Hmm, I get into trouble because of this swinging that you describe.

Maybe the impending doom of not doing that work you put off is the kind of push you need after some fun to jumpstart you back into the "correct" mindset to work efficiently in all other times.
    +1, guilty as charged with this about twice per year. This is me without alot of drive, but still high standards of existence by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Personally, I play while I work, and I work while I play... if that makes sense.

Timeless drops great wisdom! FUN is a mindset. Live it!

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNoLimits View Post
    Seems like the real problem here is time management, and it's a very normal thing for people to struggle with. Figure out how much time you need each day to reach your work goals and how much and how often you need playtime then make a schedule. After that, all you have to do is keep a closer eye on the clock and stick to your intended schedule.
    Very true. One of my favorite time management exercises to get into this mindset is to list out 5 things I have to do on my whiteboard, in the order I need to do them. Then I sit down, and aggressively knock out task #1, stand up cross it out, then sit down and nail #2, then cross it out, #3 goes down next, etc.

I'm a big believer in physically interacting with my tasks and creativity. There is something reinforcing about seeing the list, and seeing it being closed out as you complete each line item. You'd be amazed at how much you can get done in an hour if you organize, focus, and compartmentalize your efforts in a way that gives you feedback as to your progress.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Mmm. That's a good question. Well, here is what works for me: given that work basically almost never ends (supposing you need to work to earn money to survive etc.), I plan when I want to play. Nothing detailed (that would take away the fun). Monday morning, I'll say "Wednesday morning I'll do activity X that I like". I try to keep it short-term, otherwise it would feel like an obligation; this way, instead, I'm able to look forward to it without obsessing about its execution. Obviously, you need a flexible work schedule, otherwise this kind of planning is harder to execute.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

This is something I seem to do naturally. Work, play, vegitate!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post

If only your job is fun or even almost entertaining..

@OP

get a better job.